Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do ye plant a house garden?

• 28-03-2011 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

I did a lot of driving around my own county and a few neighbouring counties these past two weeks, and I was struck by the number of handy size garden plots, rotovated and in drills etc, to supply the house with veg and spuds etc.
    There must be a swing back in this direction again. A lot of people in my immediate locality who haven't planted in years are at it again.

It's great to see it.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

went in a garden centre in Ennis the other day and there were hardly any flower seeds or flowering plants on sale - it was all seed potatoes, veg plants and veg seeds.

All good stuff - whether it's down to recession or whatever it's great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

I grow a bit of everything and I keep about 6 hens for eggs, only started last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭kay 9

Carrots, scallions, cabbage, gooseberries, black currants and good ole spuds and lettuce. Thats all I can think of. Only about of rude of ground but it is an even better treat that way:D Nothing like growing yer own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Got the spuds in today! We took advantage of the excellent ground conditions before the rain comes.
    A late frost could undo our hard work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

yes put in a vegetable garden every year.i had two gardens a small one and a bigger one. but i kept pigs in the bigger one for a summer. i use to grow british queens and kerrs pinks.kerr pinks very prone to blight also grew rooster and blues, and kersel pied spuds between pinks and whites great spuds.i now only put in small garden takes too much time two gardens the sisters dogs get the run of the bigger garden now but will put fruit trees in their.grow onions under plastic no weeds and bigger onions any of you lads do that. how i do it i dig the ridge twice then put on potash dig in put down plastic pin it down then get a 2 inch steel pipe put a sharp edge on the end of the pipe and then cut 2 inch holes in the plastic and plant the onion in the centre the plastic can be reused again a gardener gave me that tip.i grow shallots,lettuce,leeks,strawberries.broadbeans.cabbage,tomatos.vistors were in the garden last year and said it was great and were eating the strawberries:D that okay but it is alot of work keeping weeds at bay.i also have blackcurrants,redcurrants.gooseberries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

was rared up with it but went off it there for a while but have been sowing it there for the last 5 years again.

Cabbage and a the relations
    Carrotts
    Turnips
    Parsnips
    Spuds
    Good bit of fruit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

I forgot how good fresh vegetables taste until we started sowing them again a few years ago. We grew potatoes, Lettuce (always too much) carrots, Turnips, Peas and cabbage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

The one thing that I have no success with is carrots. The melted bstrads carrot fly always cleans me out. Every last one if the hoors should be put up a against a wall and shot.:mad:

if you grow garlic in between the rows of carrots the carrot fly wont be able to smell them and be very carefull thining the carrots and not damage the remaining ones and dispose the thinings carefully away from growing ones.i grew carrots one year were two inchs thick but my garden is too rank.carrots grow best in poor ground very sandy soil or very peaty soil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Tora Bora wrote: »
    The one thing that I have no success with is carrots. The melted bstrads carrot fly always cleans me out. Every last one if the hoors should be put up a against a wall and shot.:mad:
    The trick is to plant a row of onions or garlic between every few rows of carrots and you will keep the carrot fly away. The smell confuses the carrot fly and they lay their eggs elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I nevr bothered with spuds. Always concidered them a field crop.
    have white turnips, leeks, cabbage carrots and onions.
    Have a great crop of rubarb to harvest now

The trick is to plant a row of onions or garlic between every few rows of carrots and you will keep the carrot fly away. The smell confuses the carrot fly and they lay their eggs elsewhere.

I have tried all those onion and garlic tricks but no success. commercial growers don't fart around with onions and garlic. wonder how they do it?

I have tried all those onion and garlic tricks but no success. commercial growers don't fart around with onions and garlic. wonder how they do it?

Can the powder for treating carrot seed still be got?
    It's years since we grew carrots but we used dust the seed for the the fly. Maybe thats gone now?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

plant early carrots and they're grown before carrot fly season or cover the rows with horticultural fleece...that's how I get round it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

mix rows with onions is supposed to keep them away , we dont have prob with them anyway

how s the garden going whats going well,whats not.my carrots are dead slow coming in fact most things are,too much wind i think except the spuds. earthed them this eve and that put me thinking about ye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Spuds & onions arent too bad.

Everything else is poor... In fact, anything that was set as a seed, didnt come great. Combination of
    - not great soil (stoney)
    - dry conditions (even we watered em most days, I think the ground dried fierce quick again with the hard wind)
    - First time setting a garden, so prob doing things wrong too... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭mattthetrasher

we put in a kitchen garden this spring,picket fence the lot.we bought a glasshouse too.kids are mad keen we started it for them,but we got a bit hooked ourselves just had the nicest supper of our own eggs,lettuce,spinach scallions and radishs you couldnt beat it with a big stick:D

wind broke my butternut squash palnts.:mad: must do another sowing of radishes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

Onions and lettuce very middling the cold isn't doing them any good
    Spuds took a bit of a battering but not too bad

• Advertisement

My white turnips are fit to harvest now so I'll have them on Sunday. Yum!

My white turnips are fit to harvest now so I'll have them on Sunday. Yum!
    you must have very good land to be growing turnips i never grew them yet a gardener family friend was on to me about growing them. he told me his garden would not grow them.

Really? I find them very easy to grow. just grow them to the size of golf balls or they start to get tough and woody

you must have very good land to be growing turnips i never grew them yet a gardener family friend was on to me about growing them. he told me his garden would not grow them.

Usually difficulties growing turnips, is due to low available boron in the soil.
    Fist of beet fertilizer with boron included, will give you serious turnips or any other swede for that matter.

Usually difficulties growing turnips, is due to low available boron in the soil.
    Fist of beet fertilizer with boron included, will give you serious turnips or any other swede for that matter.
    ya the man garden is worn out growing veg he was no other land.

what is going well now with ye .most thing are picking along nicely after a woefull start. even stuff that i thought had failed is coming .lettuce has pulled its usual stunt of all coming together and the cabbage has been cleaned by caterpillers but outside of that most things ok

keep going wrote: »
    what is going well now with ye .most thing are picking along nicely after a woefull start. even stuff that i thought had failed is coming .lettuce has pulled its usual stunt of all coming together and the cabbage has been cleaned by caterpillers but outside of that most things ok

slugs have had a baquet on everthing especially cabbage and beetroot.
    broad beans, brocili, turnips (purple top are far better than snowball) and lettice did well
    carrots, beetroot, scallions and green beans were poor.
    3rd sowings or turnip and lettuce went in yesterday

Take one garden hose. Hose down the heads of cabbage every evening. Caterpillars never get a chance to establish themselves on your cabbage.:D
    I've been using this method for past five years, with huge success.:cool:

Take one garden hose. Hose down the heads of cabbage every evening. Caterpillars never get a chance to establish themselves on your cabbage.:D
    I've been using this method for past five years, with huge success.:cool:

Anyone ever try watering cabbage with salty water?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Bizzum wrote: »
    Anyone ever try watering cabbage with salty water?

Would ya not just cook it with the bacon like the rest of us :P

johngalway wrote: »
    Would ya not just cook it with the bacon like the rest of us :P

I would yeah, and fry cold cabbage with fried spuds and proper sausages.

But to keep the livestock off the cabbage I water it with salty water, so now you know;).

well ,what worked this year what didnt.our onions seem to rot in the house this year after harvesting them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

well ,what worked this year what didnt.our onions seem to rot in the house this year after harvesting them

my onions rotted last year, rotted front the neck down, called white onion rot, i think,I pulled them earlier this year & straight into openside shed to dry, very few rotten this year.

strange year for growing, good start everything stopped growing in the middle & took off about august,

thought potatoes were bad died off in august, strimmed the stalks left for 2 weeks, sprayed weed, left for 2 weeks, & dug, when i dug them they were really great, a lot of good size ones.

beetroot great
    turnip small
    early parsnips great
    may sown parsnips small
    early & late carrots really great
    winter cabbage never grew well after transplanting
    sweetcorn small, only 3' should be 6'
    summer cabbage great
    Peas really great

just a brief list of how this year was for me

A

Advertisement