Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing machine in bathroom

• 28-03-2011 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

hi guys,
    quick question! is it legal to have a washing machine in a bathroom? if the plug is outside and your only alternative is to run an extension lead from the hall?

Thanks in advance!

Neil

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

It wont work without mains cold...Downstairs is not mains cold in most bathrooms.

As for it being legal. I dont think its illegal and as its not permanent its hardly against building codes.

However if you do overcome the water issue then there is the mains issue. A normal plug is illegal in a bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

thanks for that! problem was i was renting and we were forced to use this. Emptying a washing machine about 4 inches from a toilet bowl was fairly horrible enough.. but was just wonderin thanks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

neil_hosey wrote: »
    thanks for that! problem was i was renting and we were forced to use this. Emptying a washing machine about 4 inches from a toilet bowl was fairly horrible enough.. but was just wonderin thanks!

Tell your landlord you are withholding all future rent untill he/she sorts out a propper washing machine location and gets it installed propperly.And not in a bathroom either.

Yoy have rights too.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

paddy147 wrote: »
    Tell your landlord you are withholding all future rent untill he/she sorts out a propper washing machine location and gets it installed propperly.And not in a bathroom either.
    The landlord can start proceedings to evict you if you don't pay rent.

the_syco wrote: »
    The landlord can start proceedings to evict you if you don't pay rent.

Well the tennent has the right to expect a washing machine not to be in a bathroom,and get the landlord to get the washing machine propperly located,and if he/she doesnt do it,then the tennant should hold rent back until its done.

This is sub standard living conditions,and especialy in this modern day and age.

Im pretty sure a judge would take sides with the tennant on a matter like this,if the landlord went to go to court over this matter.

Theres an alternative route too... Move out and get a propper rental place.

Theres loads of places out there for rent these days.

And they have the washing machine either in the utility room or else in the kitchen,where its usually found.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

neil_hosey wrote: »
    hi guys,
    quick question! is it legal to have a washing machine in a bathroom? if the plug is outside and your only alternative is to run an extension lead from the hall?

Thanks in advance!

Neil

Lethal combination bathrooms and electrical appliances, should always be a last resort, and plugging a washing machine into an extension lead isn't wise especially if the bathroom is as small as you make it sound, there is some building reg that states there should be a minimum 3m or so between a plug and socket and any bathroom equipment.
    Your landlord has a legal obligation of safety towards his/her tennents.

Your landlord has a legal obligation of safety towards his/her tennents.

+1 EXACTLY.

Tennants have right too,and their safety is important too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

paddy147 wrote: »
    Well the tennent has the right to expect a washing machine not to be in a bathroom
    I agree it's not a safe place to have a washing machine. I do wonder what sort of living quarters are they in, and why is the washing machine in the bathroom. If the OP is living in an apartment, I'd be surprised that there's a washing machine there at all.

Advertisement