Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any better deal for ~€20 than Vodafone's 'Free calls and texts for life' offer?

Options
  • 28-03-2011 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

I have been using Vodafone's Free calls and texts for life offer for some time now and I opt for free texts to any network rather than be confined to free calls and texts to Vodafone customers only.

I use this plan/tariff as I know that I will always be able to contact people for the following 30 days at €20 and I am not tied into a contract, not that I would not consider one.

Happy as I am I wonder if there is a better deal for in and around the same price which would give me a month's blanket of unlimited communication, and would not limit recipients to one particular network?

I do not need a data plan for this phone at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

There's nothing like you describe (if I follow you want unlimited calls and texts to any network). With Three you can get unlimited landlines any time of day in the republic of Ireland plus 350 units (1unit=1min or 2sms) to any network, free 3 to 3 calls and 333 webtexts which you can use from your phone via cabbagetexter.com or o2text.com , plus all you can eat data (cant knock off the data) for 30 euro per month 30 day sim only contract. Always get a sim from the network you might move to so you can check signal and coverage where you live, work and play. Pre pay Sims from three are free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

cookie1977 wrote: »
    There's nothing like you describe (if I follow you want unlimited calls and texts to any network). With Three you can get unlimited landlines any time of day in the republic of Ireland plus 350 units (1unit=1min or 2sms) to any network, free 3 to 3 calls and 333 webtexts which you can use from your phone via cabbagetexter.com or o2text.com , plus all you can eat data (cant knock off the data) for 30 euro per month 30 day sim only contract. Always get a sim from the network you might move to so you can check signal and coverage where you live, work and play. Pre pay Sims from three are free.

That seems like a great deal considering I probably send something under 600 webtexts per month, Vodafone.ie cut me off a few days ago until April 10 because I used 300 within the allocated period.

I love no caps all the data you can eat, although since I won't be upgrading to a decent phone for awhile I may feel I am wasting that extra €10!

Something I will definitely consider for the future, if not the moment.

sugarman wrote: »
    They have a deal where you top up with €20 euro & you get an extra €10 for life if you sign up. In addition to that you also get free texts to all networks for a month AND free calls to any network on weekends. You also get free MSN messenger 24/7 & skype for 30 days.

Okay, so are you saying that any time you top up by €20 you will get €10?
    The plan sounds like my own regarding the free texts, although I do not get free calls to any network on weekends! As for MSN & Skype I use a brick at the moment but perhaps the future is free with this deal. Can you clarify, is the MSN and Skype benefit just for the first 30 days or is 30 days after every €20 top up?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

But is it not the case that if the device is a 2G device only then the three sim wont work? I couldnt get an old 2G blackberry working with a three sim for calls and texts only.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

There are a few complications, as I understand it.

All 3-IRL SIMs are, in fact, USIM's which are not backwards compatible with 2G phones, AFAIK. Some, but not all, 2G phones will read and make use of a USIM. I know the 2G iPhone does not, your BB seems to be another.

The other issue is well known, 3 monitors accounts for 2G use only and will cut-off an account if they suspect their USIM is being used in a 2G device.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

bd250110 wrote: »

The other issue is well known, 3 monitors accounts for 2G use only and will cut-off an account if they suspect their USIM is being used in a 2G device.

I've never heard of that, I use my old 5140i for festivals and never had a problem.

Simplest thing though if you want to be on 3, you do need a 3G capable phone. You won't get proper service without it.

Thanks guys, I'm going to to try pick up a second hand HTC Dream/G1 on eBay in a month or so and will wait until then to switch to Three.

Test the signal before moving!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

dusf wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I'm going to to try pick up a second hand HTC Dream/G1 on eBay in a month or so and will wait until then to switch to Three.
    If you pay 3 40 euro a month instead of 30 euro a month for that bill package above you can get a free HTC Desire, it might even be a HTC Desire HD, I can't remember. On an 18 month contract that works out as 180 euro for a brand new Desire, which is not too shabby.

• Advertisement

griffdaddy wrote: »
    If you pay 3 40 euro a month instead of 30 euro a month for that bill package above you can get a free HTC Desire, it might even be a HTC Desire HD, I can't remember. On an 18 month contract that works out as 180 euro for a brand new Desire, which is not too shabby.

It's very tempting, just I worry about not using the minutes/texts/data, and them not being carried over etc...

Will have a look at that offer now.

griffdaddy wrote: »

I could not find a plan for the HTC Desire HD, only this regular HTC Desire plan which over 18 months @€;40 you still have to pay €89 up front for the phone, and it is only free on their 24 month contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

That's strange, i was almost certain that you could get a free Desire on the Classic Flex Max plan. I was thinking about doing it myself and selling the phone on because at the moment I have my own Desire and I'm using their 20 euro prepay offer, but was hoping for more data. If you can't get the free phone out of them then you should go for a prepay sim from 3 for the 20 euro offer and source your own phone. You could get a Samsung Galaxy S or Desire for 250 or less on adverts if you look around a bit. I'm gonna have to investigate that free Desire thing, I feel like I'm losing my mind :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭shineon23

Just seen this on facebook a few minutes ago;

Just mobile, free calls and texts to any network when you top up by €18

only catch i see is that you can only top up in some shops,

from their website; Top-up and in thousands of outlets including over 800 participating SPAR, SPAR Express, EUROSPAR, MACE, and XL Stores;

http://www.justmobile.ie/why-us/top-ups

http://www.justmobile.ie/why-us/just-right

Edit: just seen this posted in bargain alert section-

Edit: Read their T&Cs. You only get 600 Texts and 250 minutes. Still not a bad deal at all though.
    Last edited by Dman001; Today at 19:33.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭annie.t

I'm on Meteor "family an friends" offer since last Saturday.
    Free Meteor calls and texts, 400 minutes 400 text to other networks, 2 Gb net. All for 25 euro p/month for 18 months.
    Its grand offer if you know anybody who works for Meteor.
    I got HTC Desire for 100 euro on this offer.
    Pretty happy about that.

I am going to try pick up a HTC Desire new or in immaculate condition from eBay for under €150 and then go with the Three €30 all you can eat data package. All you can eat certainly has a ring to it.

HTC Desire/ Mint/ Clear ESN- US Cellular
    sold new April 3 for *€114.

HTC Desire Smart Phone Factory Unlock Excellent Condition

*The prices they would have been delivered to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

I already posted this in:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056229341

Did you look at 3 - 3PAY?

I top up by 20 a month. This gives me unlimited texts to any network and unlimited weekend calls (FUP I think is 3000 texts and 3000 mins)
    This actually tops me up €22 (€2 free) and I signed up to the deal where if I topup by €20, I get a free €10 the following month.

I put the 500MB data package for €5 a month.

Advertisement