Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering a dog run

• 28-03-2011 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭

Hi guys

Myself and my partner moved into a new place recently (renting) and we're having problems keeping our dog enclosed within the garden. It's a fairly big garden, which was what initially attracted us to the place, and it has a perimeter of thick hedging (but sparse in some areas).

I'm limited in what I can do with the garden as I don't own it, so fully fencing it isn't an option. So far, flimsy chicken fencing, enforced with random bits of wood nailed into the posts to prevent him digging it up, has proven successful in blocking the problem areas.

Or so we thought...

Sections of the hedging which we had previously thought impenetrable haven't proven too much of a challenge for him... I guess I shouldn't be too surprised at that. We're at our wits end, and finally considering a dog run (or cage...).

Could anybody here recommend suppliers (online or otherwise) of dog runs/kennels etc, at a reasonable price? This is the best I've come across so far. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

David.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Priori wrote: »
    Hi guys

Myself and my partner moved into a new place recently (renting) and we're having problems keeping our dog enclosed within the garden. It's a fairly big garden, which was what initially attracted us to the place, and it has a perimeter of thick hedging (but sparse in some areas).

I'm limited in what I can do with the garden as I don't own it, so fully fencing it isn't an option. So far, flimsy chicken fencing, enforced with random bits of wood nailed into the posts to prevent him digging it up, has proven successful in blocking the problem areas.

Or so we thought...

Sections of the hedging which we had previously thought impenetrable haven't proven too much of a challenge for him... I guess I shouldn't be too surprised at that. We're at our wits end, and finally considering a dog run (or cage...).

Could anybody here recommend suppliers (online or otherwise) of dog runs/kennels etc, at a reasonable price? This is the best I've come across so far. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

David.

Personally I wouldn't get one of those runs as they're too flimsy for my dogs.

Depending where you are in the country, there are these places that I know of, there are probably others around the country:

http://cilldara.ie/

http://www.bestformydog.com/

http://www.slaneyside.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

We got ours from cill dara and can't recommend them enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

ISDW wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't get one of those runs as they're too flimsy for my dogs.

Thanks ISDW,

When you say flimsy, what do you mean exactly? That they'd be easy to knock over, or be chewed through?

Priori wrote: »
    Thanks ISDW,

When you say flimsy, what do you mean exactly? That they'd be easy to knock over, or be chewed through?

I'd say both really, I have huskies and malamutes, so they wouldn't contain them:D

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kimmyt1987

Priori, exact same situation.....
    I feel your pain! :)

ISDW you are a wealth of advice to me at the moment!
    I have a bit of a digger on my hands and will be looking to add some height to the walls on two sides of he garden to make sure she's safe and sound, was thinking some non permanent fencing, but what are your thoughts on these enclosures? Id much prefer her to have the run of the garden but since its a rented property I really cant have her destroying the place too much :)

• Advertisement

kimmyt1987 wrote: »
    Priori, exact same situation.....
    I feel your pain! :)

ISDW you are a wealth of advice to me at the moment!
    I have a bit of a digger on my hands and will be looking to add some height to the walls on two sides of he garden to make sure she's safe and sound, was thinking some non permanent fencing, but what are your thoughts on these enclosures? Id much prefer her to have the run of the garden but since its a rented property I really cant have her destroying the place too much :)

A lot of people use that, I guess you mean the builders fencing? Haras is it called? I've seen photos of enclosures with huskies and mals inside them with that fencing, so strong enough, but I think you'd have to check it regularly. Some people dig down and sink them into the ground, but as you're renting I guess you don't want to do that, put a row of patio slabs around the inside against the fence, or just underneath it. The runs that Cilldara etc sell are moveable, but would be a lot dearer than the builders fencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 fergal28_01

Just got my mesh panels delivered this week. Went with cill dara after looking at a lot of fencing and numerous attempts at DIY building the enclosure. They made my fencing to measure perfect. I gave him sizes I was looking for and that was it. It's turned my awkward space at the back of the shed into a top class dog run. Just flip the latch and the dog is in/out. No more chains etc. Everything from order to delivery was spot on. Well worth the few bob. Hope this helps.

Advertisement