Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need an advice.

• 28-03-2011 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Greetings to all. I want to become a sailor,. Please advise the institution in Ireland where i can get all the necessary training, kind of 3 to 6 months course with all basic training. Thank you:)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

serpantin wrote: »
    Greetings to all. I want to become a sailor,. Please advise the institution in Ireland where i can get all the necessary training, kind of 3 to 6 months course with all basic training. Thank you:)

What type of sailing?

What craft?: Dingies or keelboats?

For what reason ? Racing, cruising, leisure?

Where? Lakes? Irish sea? East coast? West Coast? Channel crossing to Wales/ Scotland?

What age are you: I think if under 17 you can't do some keelboat courses.

My suggestion is you crew with someone else and look into RYA or local sailing club courses?

There are several levels of dingy courses.
    Same for Keelboats.

Then you will need first aid and radio courses. That will give you a basic level of sailing.

clubs can cost anything from €200 to €2000. Boats anything from say €500 to $100,000 and courses from €200 to €1000.

The above is only "rule of thumb" that's an old sailing metaphor :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 serpantin

ISAW wrote: »
    What type of sailing?

What craft?: Dingies or keelboats?

For what reason ? Racing, cruising, leisure?

Where? Lakes? Irish sea? East coast? West Coast? Channel crossing to Wales/ Scotland?

What age are you: I think if under 17 you can't do some keelboat courses.

My suggestion is you crew with someone else and look into RYA or local sailing club courses?

There are several levels of dingy courses.
    Same for Keelboats.

Then you will need first aid and radio courses. That will give you a basic level of sailing.

clubs can cost anything from €200 to €2000. Boats anything from say €500 to $100,000 and courses from €200 to €1000.

The above is only "rule of thumb" that's an old sailing metaphor :)

I would like to sail on large vessels like oil tankers, dry cargo ships or cruise liners, to combine work and leisure. I am 19 but i guess its enough to study and become certified sailor. Also, i could not find a better place on this forum to ask for advice, so i decided to create a thread right here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 WaterRat

Try the National Maritime College of Ireland at Ringaskiddy, in Cork Harbour. They have many full and part-time maritime courses. For more information, see their website at www.nmci.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

serpantin wrote: »
    I would like to sail on large vessels like oil tankers, dry cargo ships or cruise liners, to combine work and leisure. I am 19 but i guess its enough to study and become certified sailor. Also, i could not find a better place on this forum to ask for advice, so i decided to create a thread right here.

Then you are not interested in being a sailor. You want to be a Merchant seaman.

http://www.maritimecareers.ie/courses/shoreside-training/index.htm
    http://www.maritimecareers.ie/courses/pro-seafarers/index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 serpantin

Thank You very much for your help:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement