Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can you get funded full time college fees while working?

Options
  • 28-03-2011 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭

hi im doing a part time business degree in dit 3 nights a week while working in the day time. i earn a gross salary of just over €20,000 a year .The hours are flexible enough and i may be able to work 4 days at ten hours a week including the weekend and so most days in the day time would be free for me to go to college .at the moment i work from 7am to 3 pm and college is at 6:00pm to 9:30pm each night and not only am i having trouble finding the time and energy to concentrate and study and get all the college assignments done there is also college fees of €2000 a year which aint to bad but im paying most the mortgage at home as there is still a few years left on it and my dad is on disability. So im just wondering if im still working 40 hours a week do i have to pay for the tuition fees? i know for part time education you get 20% off the tuition fees but anything i try to find out about it says that full time fees are funded but im not sure about my case.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

lightspeed wrote: »
    hi im doing a part time business degree in dit 3 nights a week while working in the day time. i earn a gross salary of just over €20,000 a year .The hours are flexible enough and i may be able to work 4 days at ten hours a week including the weekend and so most days in the day time would be free for me to go to college .at the moment i work from 7am to 3 pm and college is at 6:00pm to 9:30pm each night and not only am i having trouble finding the time and energy to concentrate and study and get all the college assignments done there is also college fees of €2000 a year which aint to bad but im paying most the mortgage at home as there is still a few years left on it and my dad is on disability. So im just wondering if im still working 40 hours a week do i have to pay for the tuition fees? i know for part time education you get 20% off the tuition fees but anything i try to find out about it says that full time fees are funded but im not sure about my case.
    Thanks

Are you thinking of transferring to be a full time student? Sorry I'm just confused by your post as you say you're in a part time course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭lightspeed

sorry yes that would be the plan to see if i could join at the 2nd yer of another business degree in the full time as right now im foing a business and law degree which has a broad range of different subjects but only did all pass level at my leaving cert. There seems to be a major snag in my plans anyway cause i just noticed that the closing date for cao late applicatons is on the 1st of may but im doing my exams near the end of may so wont get them result to sometime in june. Unless i can apply and sent a copy of the results assuming i pass my exams in june?

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

lightspeed wrote: »
    sorry yes that would be the plan to see if i could join at the 2nd yer of another business degree in the full time as right now im foing a business and law degree which has a broad range of different subjects but only did all pass level at my leaving cert. There seems to be a major snag in my plans anyway cause i just noticed that the closing date for cao late applicatons is on the 1st of may but im doing my exams near the end of may so wont get them result to sometime in june. Unless i can apply and sent a copy of the results assuming i pass my exams in june?

I would go talk to the college first to see if you could transfer to the day classes there.
    I know in my college the day and night students are doing exactly the same thing so it wouldn't be a massive issue, but that may not go for all courses.

Also, are you trying to leave the course you are in to do another one or just switch within the same course?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭lightspeed

at the moment im doing business and law but there is abut 7 subjects in that with accounting,economics,management,commuincation and information technology studies, european law, and contract law. I was looking at the institute of public administration and they do college course awarad by the national college of ireland through distance learning where you just have to go to college on saturday every 6 weeks which would not be to bad but costs just over €2980 a year which i can claim back 20% so be paying €2384 a year. i originaly was doing a computer course part time but found that to be to difficult so i had to pick another course and so i had limited time and choice and went for business and law cause i always had an interest in studying law but after reading more into law it seems like a complete dead duck.So im now seriously thinking about doing degree in marketing which can be done though distance learning with the IPA. its not just the money i prefer to study college full time where i can properly apply myself and give my full attention. I live in balbriggan and at the moment im spending quite a bit on petrol driving to DIT in aungier street 3 nights as week. i tried ringing the phone number on the cao website earlier but it wouldnt ring so ill email them and see what they say i not to optimistic as im sure there wont even be many spare places by now.

Advertisement