Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

E-mail from myself.

• 28-03-2011 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

I've just received an e-mail from "myself" directing me to a news story about some self help group :confused:.
    What I'm wondering is....is this a security issue regarding someone accessing my computer or my e-mail, and should I be concerned or is it nothing to worry about, ie: some easy to do scam that isn't an issue for me.
    I hope this is an ok place to post this, if not mods feel free to move.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Was mail sent from Outlook on your computer or a web based client like hotmail/gmail etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

It's an easy to do scam. People can set up their own email server for free on their pc or a number of internet servers and impersonate any other email address.

If you use Outlook / Thunderbird or a number of similar programs to read your mail then you can read through the source headers and get an idea of where it was routed through the internet (though possibly with the origin also faked).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

biko wrote: »
    Was mail sent from Outlook on your computer or a web based client like hotmail/gmail etc?
    I don't use any programme for my e-mails, just a web based client.

My computer skills wouldn't be up to reading source headers (?) or anything.
    If this is an easy to do scam I'm not really bothered about it (unless I should be?).
    Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sometimes people that send spam will have an undisclosed list and it may look like mail was sent from yourself, depends on the mail client.

Without details like what online provider you use and a look at the headers I wouldn't worry much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Cheers, nothing to worry about then.
    Thanks for the input. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement