Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Theives at the beach....

Options
  • 28-03-2011 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

I went for a walk on Old head beach near Louisburg the other day around 3pm, parked my car in the carpark close to the road and walked through the woods and back, only to discover upon my return that my bag had been stolen from my car. I foolishly forgot to check all doors were locked (don't have central locking), and someone helped themselves to my bag with over €200, all my cards, ipod, bunch of keys and some other items.
    Since then I've met a few people who have had similar experiences on Old Head and Beartra beach. It was a beautiful sunny day, in the middle of the day and there weren't many people around...it just seems like there could be a group targeting beach car parks.....
    Has this happened anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

MeerKat17 wrote: »
    I went for a walk on Old head beach near Louisburg the other day around 3pm, parked my car in the carpark close to the road and walked through the woods and back, only to discover upon my return that my bag had been stolen from my car. I foolishly forgot to check all doors were locked (don't have central locking), and someone helped themselves to my bag with over €200, all my cards, ipod, bunch of keys and some other items.
    Since then I've met a few people who have had similar experiences on Old Head and Beartra beach. It was a beautiful sunny day, in the middle of the day and there weren't many people around...it just seems like there could be a group targeting beach car parks.....
    Has this happened anyone else?

A friend of mine left her car parked at the top of the Atlantic drive in Achill and went for a walk. arrived back to find a window broken and her purse missing.

i can happen anywhere so do not leave anything out in the open in your car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Leaving anything visible is a big mistake, should put them in the boot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Sorry to hear of the poster's experience. Louisburgh is a very law abiding area, but large numbers come into Oldhead at peak times. Hope Gardai can stop this.

nuac wrote: »
    Sorry to hear of the poster's experience. Louisburgh is a very law abiding area, but large numbers come into Oldhead at peak times. Hope Gardai can stop this.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

When will people ever learn.... Never leave anything valuable in a car for people to see.. Sad world but there are scumbags out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭MeerKat17

Thanks for your posts! The bag wasn't in view, I had it hidden behind the drivers seat under a few coats etc. who ever took it rooted around my car and found it. I know I should have checked that all the doors were locked, but its an easy mistake to make, and you dont expect it to happen in Louisburg in the middle of the day on such a beautiful bright day. Its a shame there are people out there who would do this. I reported it to the Gardai but as of yet nothing has been handed in. :(

irishgeo wrote: »
    A friend of mine left her car parked at the top of the Atlantic drive in Achill and went for a walk. arrived back to find a window broken and her purse missing.

I have heard a couple of similar stories in the past few days since this has happened. The Garda who I reported it to said it was getting more and more common, and that they have been trying to catch the culprits for some time. He said as soon as the weather is fine it happens regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

Digress from Mayo if I may Mods, but I think relevant to discussion
    This **** happens everywhere. Anywhere tourists are likely to park you will see glass from shattered windows on the ground. Many national monuments are situated a bit away from the car parks and are regularly patrolled by thieves. In Meath if you are thinking of visiting Dowth, Hill of Slane, Monasterboice, Townley Hall, any secluded 'Fogra site' or even a graveyard you run a good chance that your car will be broken into whether anything is on view or not (usually to access the boot via the rear seats) absolute waste of time ringing Gardai as they are usually busy and miles away and can't do anything anyway.

There seems to be no will to address this problem from Bord Failte or Duchas even with all the b******t spouted about encouraging tourists when our most valuable sites of national heritage become places of distress and misery for unlucky visitors who bring their stories and ruined holiday memories home with them.

My own car was done at Dowth which I visit regularly recently even with nothing in the boot just left with a smashed window (insurance didn't cover it) distressed children and a murderous rage. If I caught the scumbag his head would be put through my other window. :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Apologies Rant over... just had to get that off my chest.
    If you see glass on the ground drive on. Disgraceful and sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Humans eh! wrote: »
    ....waste of time ringing Gardai as they are usually busy and miles away and can't do anything anyway.

There seems to be no will to address this problem from Bord Failte or Duchas even with all the b******t spouted about encouraging tourists when our most valuable sites of national heritage become places of distress and misery for unlucky visitors who bring their stories and ruined holiday memories home with them.

I agree completely. Rather than addressing real issues like what has been described above, Bord Failte release stupid marketing materials, irrelevant advertising and publish stupid reports.

Bord Failte just want the 'foreigners' to get here and then screw them for every penny they have. What they don't realise is the value of word of mouth advertising and the value of repeat custom. I am doing marketing work for a business that can hold up to 49 people per night in self-catering apartments. The apartments are full between July and August and are booked out most weekends during Sprint, Summer and Autumn.

A lot of business comes from repeat visitors, but it is embarrassing for such small things to take place, potentially ruining trips, vacations and holidays.

Having seen the OP's situation, and in light of what Human's has said, I think that I am going to contact local representatives and ask them to provide better support for tourists and better access to information regarding these crimes.

Had the OP being from a different country, I am sure they would be going back home telling their friends what had happened, casting negative views on the country as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

I agree completely. Rather than addressing real issues like what has been described above, Bord Failte release stupid marketing materials, irrelevant advertising and publish stupid reports.

Bord Failte just want the 'foreigners' to get here and then screw them for every penny they have. What they don't realise is the value of word of mouth advertising and the value of repeat custom. I am doing marketing work for a business that can hold up to 49 people per night in self-catering apartments. The apartments are full between July and August and are booked out most weekends during Sprint, Summer and Autumn.

A lot of business comes from repeat visitors, but it is embarrassing for such small things to take place, potentially ruining trips, vacations and holidays.

Having seen the OP's situation, and in light of what Human's has said, I think that I am going to contact local representatives and ask them to provide better support for tourists and better access to information regarding these crimes.

Had the OP being from a different country, I am sure they would be going back home telling their friends what had happened, casting negative views on the country as a whole.

I agree, Bord Failte is just in the business of luring tourists here. Many I have spoken to have been disillusioned with the reality they find (Dublin Boardwalk anyone) and as you have said word of mouth can destroy a multi million euro campaign. I would love to see a Bord Failte drive to ensure that the visitors we get are more informed and better protected.

The damage being done through this petty but holiday ruining b*lls**t is immense and renders their promotional efforts worthless.
    A few grand spent on ongoing random Garda 'Sting' operations at various places and perception by the judiciary of the actual real cost of these crimes beyond the value of a camera or a purse when sentencing would I think be an investment in the future of tourism and it would be money well spent.
    I am sick of listening to political crap about Ireland's future hope being in tourism while no effort is made to protect the ones we do manage to get. A zero tolerance on crime against tourists is needed before any benefits will be accrued by our hospitality industry.
    But I can't see it happening sadly, so untold word of mouth damage continues to be done as millions are thrown at crappy promotional campaigns.
    :(

• Advertisement

I agree, its such a shame that this happens and that people would target such remote beautiful areas. I'm always so careful in towns and city's but you just don't expect this kind of this to happen out in the country side. I think I'll make use of my local T.D to suggest installing more CCTV cameras in such areas, although I'm not sure it'll do much good! :rolleyes:

MeerKat17 wrote: »
    I agree, its such a shame that this happens and that people would target such remote beautiful areas. I'm always so careful in towns and city's but you just don't expect this kind of this to happen out in the country side. I think I'll make use of my local T.D to suggest installing more CCTV cameras in such areas, although I'm not sure it'll do much good! :rolleyes:

they just walk out to these areas. you would get the reg of the car they are driving.

they place hidden cameras all over the place for people illegally dumping rubbish, whats so different about this crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

****ty buzz but 'tis the season!

Advertisement