Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking to get into fishing

Options
  • 28-03-2011 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

hey guys i used to go river fishing when i was younger and me and a buddy are looking at taking it up again (river lake any fishing to be honest except boat fishing), any advice for a good internet shop to get equipment from? what kind of rods reels etc. will we be looking at? I used to use earthworms for bait before but that was just messing around with my father :D what kind of bait should i be looking at? (specifically lake and river) also whats the craic with licenses rules and all the non fun stuff
    Any help would be greatly appreciated guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭fourmations

hi

for starters....

where are you based?
    what do you want to fish for? coarse fish or trout?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

based in tralee but i have a car so traveling around kerry cork or limerick really isnt a problem, Im not too sure what we will be fishing for to be honest except we will be starting with lakes and rivers preferably on the banks nice and relaxed :D, any pointers for a good type of fish beginners should be looking at? as ye can tell im a complete novice but im really interested in the sport i already have two rods (my fathers old ones) i think there spinning rods although i dont really know the difference in different rod types

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

haha nice i always visit glanteenassig woods never new there was a proper fishing lake there (Lough Caum) is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

I have no idea as I have never fished in the area..

Just to note, that lake fishing is from a boat only

• Advertisement

weird it says on the description that it has very good shoreline angling but that it also rents boats?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

any advice for a good internet shop to get equipment from?

You cant go wrong with landers in Tralee. They will have you sorted in no time and stock bait as well
    what kind of rods reels etc. will we be looking at?

A 9-10 foot spinning rod for 30-70grams casting weight will do you just fine. It can be used for distance casting on the lakes and you could use it in the sea too - off Fenit pier and the like if the lakes aren't fishing well.
    what kind of bait should i be looking at? (specifically lake and river)

A popular bait known as the Blackbirds Fancy....i.e. worms! :pac:
    also whats the craic with licenses rules and all the non fun stuff
    Any help would be greatly appreciated guys

Rivers in your area - the River Maine, Brown Flesk, etc. - will hold seatrout and salmon so you will prob need a salmon licence to fish them. That'll cost you €60 for the year. If you just stick to lakes you'll only need permission and possibly a permit. The fisheries board lakes - in your area Lough Caum and Lough Barfinny - give good fishing for €12 a day. They are stocked with decent rainbow trout and all you need to be anyway successful is a bubble float and some worms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Lough Caum is, or was up to 3 years ago, stocked with rainbows. You can shore fish it on the car park side.

Its a nice spot but given where you live i would be looking to sea fish instead. The whole dingle penninsula has excellent sea fishing. I would start there

cool thanks for all the advice guys

SeaFields wrote: »
    Rivers in your area - the River Maine, Brown Flesk, etc. - will hold seatrout and salmon so you will prob need a salmon licence to fish them. That'll cost you €60 for the year. If you just stick to lakes you'll only need permission and possibly a permit. The fisheries board lakes - in your area Lough Caum and Lough Barfinny - give good fishing for €12 a day. They are stocked with decent rainbow trout and all you need to be anyway successful is a bubble float and some worms.

how do i go about paying this? ive never seen any office or anything up in glanteenassig before.

• Advertisement

got everything sorted by Landers in tralee today, great shop and great service, the staff where brilliant in telling me all about what i would need and gave me a ton of advice, would absolutely recommend them to anyone great deals as well :D

got everything sorted by Landers in tralee today, great shop and great service, the staff where brilliant in telling me all about what i would need and gave me a ton of advice, would absolutely recommend them to anyone great deals as well :D

Great stuff. Landers is like a wet dream for anyone "outdoorsey". Tight lines and just ask more questions here if your stuck and we'll get you sorted. :)

went out to Lough Caum saterday for a good 5-6 hours saterday didnt catch a thing :D i was told the lake was stocked wednesday would this have impacted the fishing? coming to the end i found a nice place on the lake where the wind wasnt strong and i started using two flies and a bubble float (i have a feeling the bubble float was too big and scared the fish away) and i got two bites, nearly had the last fella but he got away...god only knows how, any advice on anything would be great, just out of interest how long should the line be after the bubble float?

Being recently stocked may not have helped in that the fish might still have been shoaling. Takes them a few days to settle down and spread around the lake.

As for using a bubble and fly, use a clear bubble float. Draw it in very slowly so that the bubble's wake doesn't scare the trout too much. The flies should go on before the bubble not after it for the same reason and it also gives them a bit more action in their movement. (see attached very sophisticated diagram!)

Hard luck, you'll get em next time. As the summer goes on you could even get a fly rod. Those rainbows are very easily tempted once the water gets warm.

154076.JPG

i had the bubble on before the flies :D how badly does that affect it? im sure il get em next time as i now know one or two good spots on the lake, any advice on worm fishing? do i leave the worm sitting out on the lake for a while or do i slowly reel it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

SeaFields wrote: »
    Being recently stocked may not have helped in that the fish might still have been shoaling. Takes them a few days to settle down and spread around the lake.

The thing is if ya were able to find them woah :P

i had the bubble on before the flies :D how badly does that affect it? im sure il get em next time as i now know one or two good spots on the lake,

Not that badly. As you say, you got a few takes. It does mean that the fish sees the bubble before it sees the flies tho which can put them off. Also when they hit the flies, the bubble cause a bit of drag so they don't hook themselves firmly.
    any advice on worm fishing? do i leave the worm sitting out on the lake for a while or do i slowly reel it in?

The wind will blow the bubble across the lake so just cast it out and leave it drift for awhile and try again. If nothing is on the surface put on a small bit of weight and try it on the bottom. Cast out and leave it sit. Every now and again, lift it up and draw it in a few yards.
    The thing is if ya were able to find them woah :P

Its kinda boring to hit a shoal. They are out of condition from coming straight from the fish farm and don't have as much fight as fish who have been feeding and living naturally for a few weeks. Good for beginners tho. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

Ah but for this lad I'm sure he would land one out of a shoal.

heres my ignorance flaring up again :D what exactly do ye guys mean by a shaol? as in a gravel bar etc.? im sure il catch something there next time, there was one or two guys who knew there stuff at the lake and they where not catching anything either so that has my hopes up, its all patience as they say

a shoal means they all stick together, swimming around in one big group.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

i had the bubble on before the flies :D how badly does that affect it?
    I haven't fished a bubble and flies before, but I'm guessing the big problem would be that the bubble is the weight being used to cast so if it's before the flies there's a good chance they'd tangle on the line before the bubble whle casting.

stevenmu wrote: »
    I haven't fished a bubble and flies before, but I'm guessing the big problem would be that the bubble is the weight being used to cast so if it's before the flies there's a good chance they'd tangle on the line before the bubble whle casting.

yeah was actually having this exact problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭con___manx1

u should buy youself a fly rod .. i taught myself how to fly fish..not as hard as u may think..

ok lads was out again today at that lake for a good 9 hours, used worm and bubble, flies and bubble and still no luck :( i know there is fish in there as my buddy caught an 7-8 ounce rainbow trout, any ideas?
    Im thinking of going sea fishing monday (ive heard its a little bit easier) but not too sure where i should go what i should be fishing for or what to use to fish with, i have a sea rod and reel and i know kerry is great for the sea fishing any ideas?

ok lads was out again today at that lake for a good 9 hours, used worm and bubble, flies and bubble and still no luck :( i know there is fish in there as my buddy caught an 7-8 ounce rainbow trout, any ideas?
    Im thinking of going sea fishing monday (ive heard its a little bit easier) but not too sure where i should go what i should be fishing for or what to use to fish with, i have a sea rod and reel and i know kerry is great for the sea fishing any ideas?

Once you break your duck you'll be dragging them in left right and centre.

For sea fishing by you i'd say head for fenit pier. Get some mackerel as bait and you could pick up almost anything there. You'll definately get some dogfish which fight hard and can be fairly big. If you see other anglers catching fish, ask them what bait they are using and to show you. They'll generally be helpful. Beware getting into a converstion with a kerry man tho....you may never get away :pac:

thanks for that, is sea fishing generally easier to get a bite or is it pretty much the same as lake fishing? by the way how do i set up a line for sea fishing, is it swivel-weight-hook with bait ?
    thanks for all the help

thanks for that, is sea fishing generally easier to get a bite or is it pretty much the same as lake fishing? by the way how do i set up a line for sea fishing, is it swivel-weight-hook with bait ?
    thanks for all the help

I would say it is easier alright. Sometimes targeting specific species can be difficult but by and large you'll nearly always pick up something. Whereas several factors can affect how the lake fishes, its really only the tide that affects how the sea does. (thats a big generalisation - some of the better sea anglers on here will slate me for it :eek::P but accurate enough for a beginner like yourself.) For tomorrow, try to head there when the tide is out and fish it for the few hours that the tide takes to come in.

The easiest rig to use - tie a swivel to one end of a piece of line of about 3 feet. Tie the hook to the other end. Before tying this to you main line, slide a weight up the line (with one of those clip swivels on it if the weight doesnt have a swivel on it) and a bead next. The bead stops the weight sliding down over your hook end. A long slice of mackerel as bait and your good to go.

Heres a proper description of the rig. Edit: ignore that sliding boom thing they are using. A weight on a clip swivel will do just fine.

I've a buddy that fishes Fenit all the time, he lives on the pier with his rod during the summer! and he has caught all manner of fish from it.

cool il give it a shot anyway, i dont really care what i catch so long as i finally catch something :D

went out to fenit yesterday for a good 6-7 hours and didnt catch a thing (except two big crabs :D) what are the best places around kerry for a bit of sea fishing?

• Advertisement

The last bit of advice i can give you is to get your hands on a cpy of the fisheries boards handbook or the south west. Your local tackle shop should have it. Its about a tenner and has maps of all the sea fishing and salmon/trout fishing spots in cork and kerry. It has diagrams of rigs to use and maps of bait digging spots.

Hard luck so far. Try to stick with it. You;ll get one eventually :)

Advertisement