Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long to reach the surface (Potatoes)

Options
  • 28-03-2011 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

I planted my first earlies two weeks ago having chitted them to perfection for a month, no sign of then hitting the surface yet. How long does it usually take.

I dug a couple up to have a look and the shoots had maybe doubled in size during the two weeks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Nutri Eire wrote: »
    I planted my first earlies two weeks ago having chitted them to perfection for a month, no sign of then hitting the surface yet. How long does it usually take.

I dug a couple up to have a look and the shoots had maybe doubled in size during the two weeks.

Lol sounds like your in a race. I wouldn't even root around at that stage of development, your more likely to damage the stem. They should speed up in this weather as soil temperature starts to rise. Another week or two before you see the head popping above ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Nutri Eire

:D I'm always in a race. Thanks for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

There are no instant results. Patience is the key - they'll make it. It'll be another week or two before you see stalks. And then leave them alone until after they flower.

If you want some instant gratification plant some lettuce - you'll have leaves to eat in 4 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Nutri Eire

Thanks, I have cabbage, onions, parships, lettuce already up a few weeks so am getting a bit of satisfaction with those :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jameskc

Nutri Eire wrote: »

just blinded 5 stalks ,home guards sowed 23rd March, frost promised thu.night.

• Advertisement
Advertisement