Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance Compnay - Vouchers v Cash

Options
  • 28-03-2011 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Just wondering for some feedback on this...

Recently my mother-in-law was burgled - damage to house (minor) but an amount of jewellery was taken.

Now the Insurance company and associated Loss Adjuster assigned are starting to work through it all - and have started to do something I'm not happy with - but not sure what I can do.

1st - They have suggested a contract builder / glazier to repair damage to premises - which I'm not happy with at all. Where do I go if I have quality issues later on ?? As I had an architect employed to ensure quality when it was built 3 years ago do I have to employ him again, or should the insureance company do it ?? Any builders or architects out there with experienc e?? my ten year guarantee from original builder - is that gone if anither person does work on-site ??

Second problem - jewellery. Her engagement ring and other personal items were taken - and the company are trying to offer her vouchers in a middle of the road jewellers in lieu of cash. They have declared the discount they get with this jeweller, so I can see where they are making the margins on this but is this common place ?? Her policy says that the account will be settled by cheque - so they appear to be in breach of that aggreement, but if she needs to get a solicitor involved (to make sure they do) we could spend money on that when it's not freely flowing at the moment....

Any advice - or comments ??

People working in insurance companies or jewellers - is this common ? Moral ??

I'd like to hear people's opinions on this...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Firstly I cannot be 100% on this so dont take it as gospel

re the house damage you dont have to use their builder but if their builder quotes the job at 5 grand for example you cant go get a builder who quotes 10 grand (well you can but you will have to pay the difference)

re the contents I think they have a right cheek offering you a voucher. Id be pretty sure this is in breach of the agreement you have. Id insist on cash if they keep pushing the voucher tell them you will discuss it with the financial regulator, financial ombudsman and your solicitor and get back to them.

see what their tune in after that.

Advertisement