Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No more Symbian after 2012

Options
  • 28-03-2011 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭

http://www.i-programmer.info/news/83-mobliephone/2175-nokia-sends-open-letter-to-developers-about-the-future.html

So I suppose this means no more Nokia for me after 2012.

I have used Symbian since the Nokia 3650 in 2004 and quite liked it. Recent versions have been a bit of a hodge klodge alright and when they brought in all this code signing and DRM sh1te I started to like it less and less.

They really messed up thinking that people were going to pay $29.99 for a piece of DRMware to run on their phone. They all but killed the freeware community and made life hard for those who wanted to hold onto old software. New "feature pack" meant a new app was needed.

Despite the shortcomings I still think it is one of the better OS, much prefer it over the hugely dumbed down and even more restricted iOS and always loved the built in VoIP function which nobody ever seemed to appreciate because it was a bit of a struggle to set up.

As for Windows Mobile, I will never buy one of these phones. I'll never forgive Microsoft for the sh1t they pulled in the 90's, their trusted computing tripe, how they tried to eradicate linux and foist DRM upon everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

What is the problem these sites have in publishing links to original sources?

Anyway, for those interested: Here's the original letter , unedited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

It is not true that Nokia 'end Symbian by 2012'!
    Their recent financial report (a whopper of 275 pages) was deliberately misinterpreted. In it Nokia state that by 2013 the 1st phase of setting up partnership with Microsoft should be finalised. The Nokia haters immediately interpreted that to mean, by 2013 they do Windows Phone only! That is not so!
    The misrepresentation in the supposedly unbiased tech-media has been so gross, that last Friday Nokia published an open letter from Purnima Kochikar on the http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/blog/nokia-developer-news/2011/03/25/open-letter-to-developer-community

Since the cooperation with MS became public knowledge an awful lot of nonsense has been published by so-called tech experts.
    Nokia did not become market leaders by dropping all eggs hastily into one basket.
    The up-coming Nokia E7 is not going to be the 'lastSymbian flagship'.

Let the Android/iOS crowd believe what they want to believe...
    And no, I'm not a Nokia fanboi :p
    I just hate bullsh**tery that comes along as journalism. It's what makes the web so sucky!

Just re-read the article on i-programmer and let it sink in. Then read the open letter!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

They will keep releasing low end symbian phones.

The high end line will be Windows Phone's and probably a MeeGo phone somewhere in the works to be released once a year or even longer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

It's been clearly stated that there will be new flagship Symbian devices with GHz+ processors, further development of Symbian etc etc...
    But hey, whatever?
    Moto was declared dead not long ago, right?

Advertisement