Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vine Weevil grubs

Options
  • 28-03-2011 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

Hi, have discovered these yesterday in one of my patio pots in which I grew strawberries last year.I wanted to ask a couple of questions if anyone could help please.

1.Does it automatically follow that all my pots are infected even though I havent seen any in the other pots?

2.Whats the best way to get rid of them?

3.Do they eat everything,what I mean is, would it be okay to grow flowers in the infected pot or is that asking for more trouble down the line?

4.Are they poisonous at all or is their main menace that they eat the leaves and roots?

Any other advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

1.Does it automatically follow that all my pots are infected even though I havent seen any in the other pots?

2.Whats the best way to get rid of them?

Depending on what plants are were in them,Then Yes Assume they are infected, you can treat with a Chemical or Natural Predator (Nemoatodes) to kill the grub before it turns into a Adult and it breeds 100,000 more beasties

3.Do they eat everything,what I mean is, would it be okay to grow flowers in the infected pot or is that asking for more trouble down the line?

They seem to love eating plants in Peat based compost... (Thats from my own experience) They love Strawberries and Primulas ... I would say they eat all plants but have favourites...never heard of a plant they can't eat???? Saying that Never seen them in Daffodills!!

4.Are they poisonous at all or is their main menace that they eat the leaves and roots?

I wouldn't eat one myself, but have fed them to the Hens :-)

The Adults eat the leaves, small notches on the leaf edge... Not massive damage,its just a sign that Adults are about...

The Real damage is done by the grub over the winter period ...treat with a Chemical or Nemotode, Watch out for the adult under pots rubbish hiding durning daylight hours
    And they Are everywhere... In Ditches in Weeds and love Containers (All those roots trapped waiting to be eaten I guess)

Any other advice much appreciated.

Treat several times durning the year they will come back again and again :-(

Advertisement