Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman laptop swaping

Options
  • 28-03-2011 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I bought an acer laptop from Harvey Norman in January and since then I've had too return it 3 times because it keeps breaking. Talking to their technician today I asked if he would just give me a different laptop because it was getting ridiculous, he said he probably wouldn't do this and would attempt to repair it which is bs really.

Just wondering if anyone knows what HN's policy is or if they've had any experience with HN in this area.

PS dont buy acer, seems like a good deal but terrible build quality

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Jester50 wrote: »
    I bought an acer laptop from Harvey Norman in January and since then I've had too return it 3 times because it keeps breaking. Talking to their technician today I asked if he would just give me a different laptop because it was getting ridiculous, he said he probably wouldn't do this and would attempt to repair it which is bs really.

Just wondering if anyone knows what HN's policy is or if they've had any experience with HN in this area.

PS dont buy acer, seems like a good deal but terrible build quality

Forget about whatever the Harvey Norman policy is as your statutory rights superceed any shop policy.

They must repair replace or refund.

Any repair MUST be permenant!

At this stage you will be entitled to reject any further repair and ask for or demand a replacement, you could also demand a refund as your faith in the shop's ability to offer after sales care on any replacement must be seriously diminished!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

How is it "breaking" and is it the same problem every time.

Under consumer law you have the right to seek repair, refund or replacement if an item is defective, not as described or not fit for purpose. Neither you nor the shop can dictate what the other should offer or accept, you have to negotiate between you.

Don't know their actual policy, but I suspect they probably will try to get you accept a repair (usually cheapest option for them) but you don't have to accept that offer. Some places say they must repair it x times before replacing/refunding but that is only their own internal rule and not law so you should dismiss that too if they suggest it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Jester50

Its been a different problem every time. First it was the graphics card then the hard drive and now its the cooling system.
    Thanks for the info. I think they may be trying to mess me around because i'm young but good to know my rights

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭irishdude11

You've had to return it 3 times and it is still not working correctly and they want to go and try and repair it again? Tell them you want a refund/replacement, tell they have three days to agree it to it and if not you are lodging a claim in the small claims court. Hand him over a letter as well to this effect to make it official, the letter should explain the background to the situation and why you are looking for a replacement. You are a sure fire to win in the scc with the background to the situation and they will know this and will offer you a refund/replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

you bought it in January and had to bring it in for 3 repairs already?

surely you wouldn't have had the laptop in possession for very long in this case, with repair times etc?

say average 2.5 weeks each time it was repaired.
    thats nearly 2 months???

something not right there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Shellygoose

my sister in law bought a HD TV from Harvey Normans and after 3 DAYS it broke (she paid close to E1300 for it).

They offered to repair it, which they did but same fault happened after 2 weeks of it being returned. They told her that its company policy to repair an item at least 3 times and that was that.

I informed her of her consumer rights, she printed some information from the National Consumer Agency website, went to the shop with this in hand and threatened legal action. Amazingly she had a newer model offered to her without any additional charge right there and then.

My advice would be to print off some information on the Sales of Goods and Supply of Services Act and take a trip to the shop armed with your imformation.....see what they offer!!

Well the first time they just gave me a new one straight away but haven't had this one too long at all.
    Yeah I'll do that and try talk to the store manager this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

I have had a similar experience over the last 4-6 weeks with dell, and I have to say I'm plased with how they handled it. Bought laptop in Feb. Ethernet port didn't work correctly from day one. Dell sent a techie to the house to replace the I/O board that the port was on. It didn't work:(

Two days later another techie arrived with a new motherboard and replaced it. This also failed to solve the problem.:(

Another few day later, dell sent another techie with another motherboard, which did temporally seem to fix the problem. But.... after the first shut down of the laptop it never turned on again.:(

At this stage I told dell I wanted a refund or a replacement... no more replacing parts. They said fine. New laptop arrived the other day - perfect.:D

So, Tell Harvey you want a new one or a refund. You were sold an item that was not working, you are entitled to a new one or a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

Jester50 wrote: »
    Well the first time they just gave me a new one straight away but haven't had this one too long at all.
    Yeah I'll do that and try talk to the store manager this time.

How long? if its 28 days usually you can exchange a faulty product?

Well bought it in january so its been longer but got it back last night and now its breaking again so just gona ask for my money back now and go somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 computerexpert

Hi Jester,I had the same problem. It seems that a few of the shops have the same policy.I work for Microsoft in Dublin so I know how frustrating laptops can be.I got a laptop last november and 2 weeks after buying it, it wouldnt turn on. I went back to the shop and they gave me a new one straight away. The girl said that if they go faulty within the first 28 days, they replace it. But after 28 days it has to go back to the manufacturer for a repair under warranty. Also I read online that most computer shops have a 3 attempt repair policy. This means that if it goes faulty 3 times, they will replace it but Pc world for example wont even look at you unless you buy a tech guys protection plan. I suggest you go back to Harvey and ask to speak to a manager. Remember to be polite and keep calm because if you storm in screaming and demanding a new laptop, that wont get you anywhere. Im sure they will look after you, they've always been good to me. Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 chelle355

I bought a HP laptop from HN 4 years ago and got the extended warranty which the sales person highly recommended. I honestly dont know how many times i had to take it in for repair during the 3 year warranty, you name it it went wrong. I was even told one time that my warranty had expired when it hadent (I had to explain the receipt of the warranty to the sales person). Finally when the warrany expired the motorboard went. I took it to an external computer repairs store who told me that particular model was faulty and HN were fully aware of this. I also found out later that if the notherboard goes in a laptop, no matter how old it is or if warranty has expired they MUST refund, replace ect. The have terrible customer service also, the customers often feel like an inconvience in that place. I wounldnt reccommend buying anything there, theres much better options out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

chelle355 wrote: »
    I bought a HP laptop from HN 4 years ago and got the extended warranty which the sales person highly recommended. I honestly dont know how many times i had to take it in for repair during the 3 year warranty, you name it it went wrong. I was even told one time that my warranty had expired when it hadent (I had to explain the receipt of the warranty to the sales person). Finally when the warrany expired the motorboard went. I took it to an external computer repairs store who told me that particular model was faulty and HN were fully aware of this. I also found out later that if the notherboard goes in a laptop, no matter how old it is or if warranty has expired they MUST refund, replace ect. The have terrible customer service also, the customers often feel like an inconvience in that place. I wounldnt reccommend buying anything there, theres much better options out there.

Someone was spinning you a yarn if they told you that ;)

The retailer's only responsibility is to offer a repair, replacement or refund for a defect that occurs during the reasonable life of the product. The level of redress must also be reasonable with regards to other factors such as what you paid for it, the current age of the product, etc. Don't expect a fix/replacement/refund because the mobo died after 10years.

You are correct about warranties though, they are in addition to your consumer rights which apply regardless of warranty/no warranty/expired warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 chelle355

i would have thought that two but I read in the sunday business post legal section a story the exact same as mine and the legal expert said they had to replace, refund etc no matter how long ago it was purchased.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

SBP... Now that just about sums it up.

OP you just need to telll hard up Harvey to go shove his laptop up his jacksie, nobody should allow this three repairs lark to continue.

MC

Advertisement