Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone using the Sony Media Remote app for iPhone?

• 28-03-2011 6:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,490 ✭✭✭✭

The app allows you to control a Sony Blu-Ray player from the iPhone/iTouch if the two devices are connected to the same home network. You can control the basic player functions and get info. on the movie you're watching on IMDB.

I just bought a brand new Sony BDP-S480 Blu-Ray player, it's part of the 2011 range which has just started to ship. Installed the Sony Media Remote app from iTunes and attempted to 'discover' the blu-ray player from the iTouch 4G (iOS 4.3) via Wi-Fi but it can't find the Blu-Ray player which is connected to my UPC router and is definitely on the network because I was able to download new firmware and view YouTuvbe videos.

The process is similar to Bluetooth pairing, you put the player in discovery mode and then tell the app on the iTouch to look for devices but no dice.

Anyone here using this app with a Sony Blu-Ray player?

http://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/media-remote-for-iphone/id373459732?mt=8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

coylemj wrote: »
    The app allows you to control a Sony Blu-Ray player from the iPhone/iTouch if the two devices are connected to the same home network. You can control the basic player functions and get info. on the movie you're watching on IMDB.

I just bought a brand new Sony BDP-S480 Blu-Ray player, it's part of the 2011 range which has just started to ship. Installed the Sony Media Remote app from iTunes and attempted to 'discover' the blu-ray player from the iTouch 4G (iOS 4.3) via Wi-Fi but it can't find the Blu-Ray player which is connected to my UPC router and is definitely on the network because I was able to download new firmware and view YouTuvbe videos.

The process is similar to Bluetooth pairing, you put the player in discovery mode and then tell the app on the iTouch to look for devices but no dice.

Afraid not as it doesn't work with a PS3.

Am thinking of buying a new Sony blu-ray machine as long as it does SA-CD, as the noise from PS3 clearly outperforms its audiophile pretentions.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Interesting that you posted this. I have this app on my iPad controlling an S470 so I decided to set it up on my iPhone and no dice.

Went back to the iPad and it has the registration for the S470 but can't detect it.

I'm also on UPC but I may have been on Vodafone when I set this up - must check the router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Homer

Now, where could one get a remote for the iphone/ipad that would control ALL my devices at home?? ;)

Just a little plug as the website went live a few days ago :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,490 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

parsi wrote: »
    Interesting that you posted this. I have this app on my iPad controlling an S470 so I decided to set it up on my iPhone and no dice.

Went back to the iPad and it has the registration for the S470 but can't detect it.

I'm also on UPC but I may have been on Vodafone when I set this up - must check the router.

Is the S470 wired into your router or are you using a Wi-Fi dongle in the USB port? My S480 is wired into the router and obviously the iTouch is on Wi-Fi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

I use the APP with my S570. It works quite well. You need to register the Iphone with the Blu-Ray Player. You have to go into the player settings to set it up. The player needs to connect through the "G" wifi network (the same as your Iphone). The player can also connect using the "N" wifi network (if your router has that capability).

• Advertisement

I use the APP with my S570. It works quite well. You need to register the Iphone with the Blu-Ray Player. You have to go into the player settings to set it up. The player needs to connect through the "G" wifi network (the same as your Iphone). The player can also connect using the "N" wifi network (if your router has that capability).

Will it work if the player is connected to the router via Ethernet cable? I have no intention of buying the Wi-Fi USB dongle if it doesn't.

Is the S470 wired into your router or are you using a Wi-Fi dongle in the USB port? My S480 is wired into the router and obviously the iTouch is on Wi-Fi.

The player is wired into the router and always has been.

I see that there's a new version out of the app so I might try that tonight.

The player is wired into the router and always has been.

I see that there's a new version out of the app so I might try that tonight.

Glad to hear that, it's the first confirmation I've been able to obtain that the player can be wired to the router.

I installed the update this morning (iTouch 4G iOS 4.3,1) but it still doesn't work. However the app is a bit of a sticky customer so I'm going to delete it and reinstall and try it again later, will post an update here.

Went out today and bought a 470 for 80GBP (can't be doing with the noise of my fans from the PS3 any more).

Set up in a matter of minutes after updating the firmware.

Configured iPhone app in under two minutes, player is connected by Ethernet.

Now enjoying multi-channel SA-CD with no bloody FANS annoying me.

Well worth it.

culabula wrote: »
    Went out today and bought a 470 for 80GBP (can't be doing with the noise of my fans from the PS3 any more).

Set up in a matter of minutes after updating the firmware.

Configured iPhone app in under two minutes, player is connected by Ethernet.

Now enjoying multi-channel SA-CD with no bloody FANS annoying me.

Well worth it.

Still can't get it to work with my S480, either from Android (HTC Desire) or iOS (iTouch 4G iOS 4.3.1).

• Advertisement

They're nice quite players alright.

The updated app didnt work either. I'm concerned that the iPad had been working but then stopped. I'll try on another device tonight if I think of it.

They're nice quite players alright.

The updated app didnt work either. I'm concerned that the iPad had been working but then stopped. I'll try on another device tonight if I think of it.

I also configured it with iPhone 3 and iPad 2. All working.

Still no luck.

Two separate players - one wired directly into router, 2nd one using homeplug.

Folks, can I ask for a quick statement of success/failure and the equipment used from the recent contributors along the following lines, my contribution follows....

Player: S480
    Wired/Wireless: Wired

Remote: iTouch 4G
    Media Remote Version: 2.1.0 (open the app and click 'About')

Router: UPC Cisco EPC2425 cable router

Folks, can I ask for a quick statement of success/failure and the equipment used from the recent contributors along the following lines, my contribution follows....

Player: S480

Remote: iTouch 4G
    Media Remote Version: 2.1.0 (open the app and click 'About')

Router: UPC Cisco EPC2425 cable router

Have you looked in your router settings? Is UPnP enabled?

Have you looked in your router settings? Is UPnP enabled?

It was disabled so I enabled it and switched the router off and on again, it is now enabled but it makes no difference, it still won't connect. The app on the iTouch comes back after a few seconds and says...

An unregistered device was not found

All this happens while the BD player is in discovery mode with 'detecting connected device' displayed.

It was disabled so I enabled it and switched the router off and on again, it is now enabled but it makes no difference, it still won't connect. The app on the iTouch comes back after a few seconds and says...

An unregistered device was not found

All this happens while the BD player is in discovery mode with 'detecting connected device' displayed.

Try "reset network settings" on the iPod touch?

Try "reset network settings" on the iPod touch?

Won't that wipe out all my Wi-Fi stored passwords?

I tried 'Renew Lease' which made no difference, then I clicked on 'Forget this Network', selected my local SSID and re-entered the password but that made no difference either.

Won't that wipe out all my Wi-Fi stored passwords?

I tried 'Renew Lease' which made no difference, then I clicked on 'Forget this Network', selected my local SSID and re-entered the password but that made no difference either.

Probably, but it's no biggie.

OT, but is the software on these Sony machines really this clunky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Problem is most likely the upc router again

• Advertisement

Probably, but it's no biggie.

Are you serious? It would be a 'biggie' if I lost all those passwords!

I expect its the router - I've the same router as you.

Still its not a big deal - its as easy to use the provided remote>

Update:

I've signed up to UPCs 50Mb broadband and whilst its still not working (provision issues) the new Thompson modem is up and running providing the wifi at home and the Sony app is now running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 petestrat

Hey,
    A new user to this forum and website.
    Just like to say I have the same issue.

Sony Blu-Ray S380 - Wired

iPhone 4 - Wireless (obviously)

BT Home Hub

Any success in fixing the problem yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Player: S370

Remote: iPhone 3G
    Media Remote Version: 2.1.1

Router: Aztech HW550 3G Router

Did you have difficulty getting it working? Or did it work on first try?
    Any ideas of how I can get mine to work?

Fixed... In a really long winded way.
    Post a reply if anyone wants to know how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jg123

Hi petestrat.
    I'd like to know the solution. Thx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 all2gether

Hi

I would like to hear the sollution. I tried everything. I connected the ethernet cable to my thomson router and with wifi on my iphone 3GS. UPnP is on...
    What I can try more?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kilukala

petestrat wrote: »
    Fixed... In a really long winded way.
    Post a reply if anyone wants to know how.

I wanna know how :)

Advertisement