Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone using the Sony Media Remote app for iPhone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 underlircs

petestrat wrote: »
    Fixed... In a really long winded way.
    Post a reply if anyone wants to know how.

Hi Pete,

Please let me know how you were able to connect. After updating to 2.2.1, the app no longer connects for me. Tried resetting the Blu-Ray player to factory default, removing and reinstalling app on the iPhone to no avail. Any help is greatly appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nicrite

Pete

Would love to know how you have connected, getting very frustrated with this issue.

I have BDP-S480, Desire S Phone and BTHomeHub2.0 All items connected to Internet without problem, but they can't 'see' each other on network.

Played around with numerous settings to no avail and been fobbed off by Sony and BT.

As a last resort connected my old BTHomeHub1.0 and everything worked perfectly without any hiccups. Could leave this as is but the old router doesnt have enough ethernet ports for all my equipment so would have to have yet another box (ethernet switch/router)setup aswell, which is messy.

There has to be a way around this.

Any help much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

any luck with this problem?
    i am using Android media remote app and sony c570 blu ray player.
    i am unable to detect the device. same error message as others

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I have the window live hub 1tb media box, and i can do everything with my iphone on zappo app.

I can even stream either to or from the box, so i can pull photos from my media box hard drive and onto my phone, or vice versa.

Cant fault it tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 S2thKr1s

petestratPlease share the fix :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mfzfin

hi pete please share how to fix it...

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mrscanner

Has anyone managed to sort this out yet. Any chance of your work around Pete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Medmond

Fixed... In a really long winded way.
    Post a reply if anyone wants to know how.
    Can you post how you fixed this as it is driving me insane! Got a BDv -e380 blu ray, iPhone 4s, and BT home hub 3!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Sold this BD player to a friend in Dublin. Come down to configure it with iPhone/remote app and of course unlike at home it doesn't work with her UPC router. It now seems as well that UPC no longer allow access to the advanced tab of the router settings.

I'm only here for the night.....can anyone enlighten or assist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 petestrat

The BT homehub is the issue (I found).
    The only way around it was for me to lock the ip address of player and iPhone (from the router's settings, and remember what they were.

I then found a spare wireless router (or hub) lying around, turned the home hub off and defined the ip addresses on the new router to me be the same as that as the home hub, did the search on my iPhone and found the player. Returned everything back to its original state and it worked.

But to be honest if you've got a spare router lying around I just suggest using that router instead of the BT homehub then you never have that problem again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,490 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

But to be honest if you've got a spare router lying around I just suggest using that router instead of the BT homehub then you never have that problem again.

Not an option sadly for us UPC users, I have old Eircom and BT (later Vodafone) routers but can't use them with cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mrscanner

Thanks for the reply but the issue is with the UPC supplied router. Don't understand why it does not work as my iPhone is able to communicate through the router to access my desktop via the Apple iTunes Remote App.

Any ideas anyone.??

• Registered Users Posts: 5 srogers1

I ordered two players recently - an S580 (wireless) for my parents and an S480 (wired) for myself. When I set up the s580, I linked my iPad to it using the Sony Media Remote app for convenience sake without issues. Their network has an older Apple Airport Extreme "ufo" style router doing the wireless.

At home, I have AT&T Uverse service with their proprietary 2Wire router for wireless. When I try it at home with the Uverse router, the Media Remote app can't see the player, even though it's plugged directly into the router. I also have a Boxee Box and remote app which works OK. I'm wondering if the Sony Media Remote app requires UPnP, which the 2 wire router does not support. I haven't been able to confirm or deny UPnP requirement on the Sony site. There aren't any specific requirements other than the bloody obvious note that they have to be on the same network. If anyone can figure it out, I'd love to hear about it. The Sony BluRay players are useless for any internet functions without the Media Remote app because the physical remote is absurdly klunky for entering text.

I gave up on the 2Wire router (it's the mandatory home gateway router if you have AT&T U-verse) and bought a D-Link DIR-655. Once my network was switched over to the D-Link (which supports UPnP), when I fired up Media Remote on my iPad, it saw the BluRay player immediately, and it worked fine. That's with an S480 which is only wired, not wireless. I can't find it stated anywhere explicitly, but I think UPnP support is required for Media Remote. That's probably the issue for most people. Just about every router made in the last few years supports it, but not necessarily the ones provided by internet service companies.

srogers1 wrote: »
    Once my network was switched over to the D-Link (which supports UPnP), when I fired up Media Remote on my iPad, it saw the BluRay player immediately, and it worked fine. That's with an S480 which is only wired, not wireless. I can't find it stated anywhere explicitly, but I think UPnP support is required for Media Remote. That's probably the issue for most people. Just about every router made in the last few years supports it, but not necessarily the ones provided by internet service companies.

Nope, still doesn't work. I had tried enabling UPnP previously but it made no difference. However, ever desperate for a solution I enabled it again just now (and restarted the router) but I still can't pair the Blu-Ray Player (S480, wired to the UPC Cisco router) with either my iTouch or HTC Desire.

This is what I'm doing:

Open the menus on the Sony Blu-Ray player, play a few seconds of a Sky News bulletin to confirm the network connection is good, then go to Setup and scroll down to Media Remote Device Registration. On the next menu I select 'Start Registration' so the Blu-Ray player starts searching on the network.

On the iTouch I start the Media Remote app, click the 'Device' button in the top-right, then on the 'Connected Devices' panel I click the refresh button in the top-right. At that stage the two devices should do a network handshake but they don't, the Blu-Ray player eventually gives up and says 'Cannot find media remote device'.

When you start up the Media Remote app and click the "Device" button, you should see the demo blu ray player plus your own player in the list, even before the handshake has taken place. It's not obvious from the instructions what should be happening. Are you seeing your player in the devices list?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I have been trying to pair the app to a S380 and had no success. It doesnt show up in devices or when searching and BD player also come sup with nothing in the search.

Also tried pairing a Pioneer app to my A/V receiver in the past with no success. Both are connected via ethernet to the UPC router so it looks like an issue with the router.

When you start up the Media Remote app and click the "Device" button, you should see the demo blu ray player plus your own player in the list, even before the handshake has taken place.

I'll take your word for it if this is what happened with you but according to the instructions in the help section on the iPhone app you have to kickoff the registration processs from both devices.
    It's not obvious from the instructions what should be happening.

Click on Device, then click on the demo player, scroll down to Settings, click it then click on Help, the registration process is outlined there.
    Are you seeing your player in the devices list?

I would have thought the answer to that was obvious, why else would I be continuously trying to register it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Plug_and_Play

It varies by brand, but somewhere in your router configuration panels, there will be an "Enable UPnP" checkbox if your router supports it. For example:

http://support.dlink.com/emulators/dir655/133NA/Network.html

if you router doesn't support UPnP, then the BluRay player and Media Remote device can't find each other. The BluRay player won't show up on the devices list at all. There are other issues to consider too, but that's the first one. If your router doesn't have UPnP, it's not going to work.

coylemj wrote: »
    Originally Posted by srogers1
    When you start up the Media Remote app and click the "Device" button, you should see the demo blu ray player plus your own player in the list, even before the handshake has taken place.

I'll take your word for it if this is what happened with you but according to the instructions in the help section on the iPhone app you have to kickoff the registration processs from both devices.

You kick it off from the player, and respond from the device. The point is that even before you have done anything on the player, it should show up in your devices list. That's the point that isn't clear in the instructions - whether the device should be there already, or whether it should show up in the devices list when you start registration on the player.

• Advertisement

If your router doesn't have UPnP, it's not going to work.

The UPC Cisco router suports UPnP and I have it enabled.

You kick it off from the player, and respond from the device. The point is that even before you have done anything on the player, it should show up in your devices list. That's the point that isn't clear in the instructions - whether the device should be there already, or whether it should show up in the devices list when you start registration on the player.

According to the help on the iPhone, you start the registration process on the Blu-Ray player, then you select the 'Device' option on the remote device and the player should appear under 'Unregistered devices', you then select it and click on 'Register'.

In my case the player doesn't appear so I press the refresh button in the upper right but it still can't find the player. Exactly the same happens on my Android phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Doraemon08

Same situation with me, iphone simply will not see the player. I checks my router settings and everything should be set. I have tried this on 2 ipads, 3 iphones. I may just return the player, this was a pretty big selling point for me.

Doraemon08 wrote: »
    Same situation with me, iphone simply will not see the player. I checks my router settings and everything should be set. I have tried this on 2 ipads, 3 iphones. I may just return the player, this was a pretty big selling point for me.

I wouldn't do that if I was you, the player is not sold based on the usability of the mobile app so apart from not knowing what you're talking about, any retailer will be well within his rights to refuse a return. The (Blu-Ray) player is doing what it says on the tin.

well arguably the item is defective. If you follow all the directions and and the trouble shooting options and it still fails to function as promised I think that is grounds for a return.

well arguably the item is defective. If you follow all the directions and and the trouble shooting options and it still fails to function as promised I think that is grounds for a return.

As promised where?

On the Best Buy product page it says:
    Mobile Device Control

Turn your iPhone®, iPad® or compatible Android™ phone into a versatile remote when you download the free Media Remote app2. Enjoy basic remote functions, a full QWERTY keyboard—plus search the internet for information about the movies you're watching. You can even share updates with your friends via Twitter™.

On the box is a big label that that's supports "media remote app"

I suppose neither promise it will function, either way in the end they took it back and gave me a refund.

On the Best Buy product page it says:
    Mobile Device Control

Turn your iPhone®, iPad® or compatible Android™ phone into a versatile remote when you download the free Media Remote app2. Enjoy basic remote functions, a full QWERTY keyboard—plus search the internet for information about the movies you're watching. You can even share updates with your friends via Twitter™.

On the box is a big label that that's supports "media remote app"

I suppose neither promise it will function, either way in the end they took it back and gave me a refund.

If the retailer promised it as a feature then clearly you are within your rights to demand a refund, no problem there.

However the problem appears to be with certain routers, especially the UPC Cisco router.

Hope this helps
    I was using a Netgear Wireless-N 150 Router model wnr1

no dice.

• Advertisement

I appreciate that it didn't deliver on a feature that attracted you but wasn't sending it back a bit drastic? It's good value for a Sony and you still have the Bravia TV features. What did you get to replace it?

Advertisement