Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby sling

Options
  • 28-03-2011 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

Hi was just wondering where people got their baby slings - you know the ones that cradle the baby - not the regular ones you can get in mothercare, etc that hold the baby upright with the legs and arms sticking out. Thanks a mil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I got my Ellaroo ring sling and my Maya wrap on Ebay for a total of maybe £60. We've used them for both of our girls and have never bothered getting a buggy (other than an umbrella stroller for traveling). We took daughter #1 on mountain hikes in the wrap (tied on the back) when she was almost 3.

Getting a *real* wrap is hard - if not impossible - from high street shops. All you're likely to find are the tommy carriers & the like. I personally wouldn't recommend them b/c I've yet to see anyone use them for a child over the age of 3 months b/c the weight becomes unbearable. That's the main difference between the pre-formed (ie: tommy) carriers that have straps - which inevitably dig into the shoulders, versus the wraps/slings that are completely adjustable and spread all weight across the back & onto the hips where the weight belongs.

I could talk all day about these things so if you need any advice feel free to pm me :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

got my baba sling in tk maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ayla wrote: »
    Getting a *real* wrap is hard - if not impossible - from high street shops. All you're likely to find are the tommy carriers & the like. I personally wouldn't recommend them b/c I've yet to see anyone use them for a child over the age of 3 months b/c the weight becomes unbearable. That's the main difference between the pre-formed (ie: tommy) carriers that have straps - which inevitably dig into the shoulders, versus the wraps/slings that are completely adjustable and spread all weight across the back & onto the hips where the weight belongs.

I could talk all day about these things so if you need any advice feel free to pm me :)

I'd have to disagree - the Ergo carrier is excellent. We carry our seven month old in it with no problems (he's around 8kg) and a friend still carries her 2 year old in it.

It is designed to distribute the weight around your hips, so it doesn't dig into the shoulders/neck at all. It's also designed so that the baby doesn't just "hang" there like in a parachute - such a position is damaging to the child's spine. The Ergo allows the baby to sit, rather than dangle.

I'd have to disagree - the Ergo carrier is excellent. We carry our seven month old in it with no problems (he's around 8kg) and a friend still carries her 2 year old in it...

Great, glad you've had good experiences with it, I've heard of others who haven't. Goes to show that different products work differently with different people :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

I've also heard very good reports about the Ergo Baby Carrier and we decided that we would get one.

They are not like the tomy or Babybjorn carriers that Ayla was talking about, which I would agree are not very well designed for child or parent comfort.

They are extremely adjustable, designed to transfer the weight down onto the hips, lightweight and, all-importantly for us, my husband is comfortable with the idea of wearing it (he wouldn't be seen dead in a ring sling or maya wrap) so I won't have to do all the baby carrying, after all, I've done that for the past 9 months plus :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We just bought an ergo and the little lad loves it; he nods off to sleepwhen he's in it. When he gets older he'll look around more but it's very handy for trips to the shopsor times when you don't want the hassle of the pushchair. My husband has worn it loads since we got it and he's not the type to wear slings or wraps.

I've got back, neck and shoulder problems and I find it great. I tried a ring sling but found it pulled out of my shoulder so wasn't suitable at all. I also prefer the way the baby is positioned in the ergo. He wasn't too fond of the ring sling.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

I have a moby wrap which I got on Amazon. I'm still getting the hang of it (involves a lot of tying, and baby objects to some positions) but it's grand for around the house. I'm not sure about wearing it outdoors, though, or for long walks. I'm thinking of getting a baby bjorn for that. Also, as Squiggler says, my partner might be more inclined to use that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

A friend has http://www.sleepywrap.com/ it looks fantastic and she finds it brilliant.
    Thinking of ordering one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have the tomy Freestyle carrier. I use it every day, especially in town with a back pack on my back. i had a bad back when I was pregnant and this really helps. She 6 1/2 months and about 17 ibs.

She really loves it, but would never fall asleep in it. I often end up talking to people who bought one but only ever used it once so I guess it doesn't suit every one.

My sister in law just has a sling, no buggy at all for her 3 month old and he loves it. I was too nervous of using it because my little one used to shove her belly out when I tried it.

Wow the ergo thing looks great, i'd love to put her on my back, she'd love it. Where can you buy them?

• Advertisement

Moonbeam wrote: »
    A friend has http://www.sleepywrap.com/ it looks fantastic and she finds it brilliant.
    Thinking of ordering one too.

This is virtually the exact same as my maya wrap...both boil down to a long piece of fabric that you wrap (thus the name) around yourself & the babe. True, this type of carrier takes some practice, but no more than we took to learn how to tie our shoelaces. :D

I love my wrap!

wmpdd3, www.hipbaby.ie sell the ergo. Your little one will definitely sleep in the ergo.

Oh my GOD, €100,

Oh well, I'll keep an eye on Adverts!!

€100 is quite the bargain if you use it instead of a buggy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Wow the ergo thing looks great, i'd love to put her on my back, she'd love it. Where can you buy them?

I got it from www.hipbaby.ie as was already suggested, but you can get them on ebay too.

Seriously worth it, at least we think so.

I never had any luck finding one for sale on adverts because the few that are advertised are sold very quickly. Maybe put your own ad up on adverts looking for one so someone selling one might contact you. I bid for some on eBay but the prices were in sterling so I always got to the point where it was no cheaper than the irish websites when you allow for the exchange rate and delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

I got a Baby Bjorn Active and had a first run into town with it the other day. Baby (5 weeks) loved it and slept the whole way. It's a little hard on the shoulders but otherwise very comfortable and I think we'll get use out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭neeb

Lots of the new ergos on ebay are though to be fake. Just letting you know.
    I had en ergo with DD and it was great, we went everywhere in it. So much handier than a buggy.
    You get good money when you sell them secondhand too, I sold mine for 70 euro when we were finished with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Just wondering what age you started to use the Ergo on your baby? Ours is almost 4 weeks and this would be a godsend as she loves to be in our arms :)

Also, lots on ebay. Am tempted to buy, what makes you think they are fake?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

We have an Ergo, haven't used it too much yet but I think for younger babies you're supposed to use the Heart to Heart insert with it. If you google it you'll probably find more info on the insert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Does anyone have feedback on a babasling?

I have 2 of them,they are fantastic and can be used up until the child is about 2stone pretty comfortably.
    Both my girls love/d being in it.

mrsberries wrote: »
    Just wondering what age you started to use the Ergo on your baby? Ours is almost 4 weeks and this would be a godsend as she loves to be in our arms :)

Also, lots on ebay. Am tempted to buy, what makes you think they are fake?

I am really tempted to buy on e-bay but they show all the signs of being fake. Sellers with very few sales, or lots of sales of a different item and now 12 ergos for sale.

The price is just way out of my league, just have to wait for a second hand one! Even if you did get a fair bit of the purchase price back by selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

We carried our twin in Baby Bjorn active slings until 1 year / 25lbs!

If you fit it correctly (and adjust it regularly) it distributes weight perfectly.

mrsberries, you have to use the infant insert with the ergo until they are 4-5 months old. It lifts them up on it and protects their neck. The insert costs about €25.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I am really tempted to buy on e-bay but they show all the signs of being fake. Sellers with very few sales, or lots of sales of a different item and now 12 ergos for sale.

The price is just way out of my league, just have to wait for a second hand one! Even if you did get a fair bit of the purchase price back by selling it.

Ive bought many things from ebay but after I posted this I decided I wouldnt risk a baby sling for fear of fakes! Ill check out baby bay/adverts or just invest as hopefully we'll have more little ones to carry around :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Looking to get one of these as a gift but only have a budget of about 25/30eur, is it possible to get a decent one at this price? It's for the dad so back support etc won't be such an issue as they haven't just given birth and would be ok holding the weight of the baby, for a while anyway :) I didn't think they were so expensive (seeing ones for 120eur!), would be nice to get a neat, traditional simple material wrap around one, would want the material to be good quality, organic if possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

There are a few on Adverts that are brand new. Also some girls I know have gotten peanut shell ones in TK Maxx for something like €15. They're normally about €50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I have a Mei Tai that I bought on ebay and it cost €30 with delivery.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Baby-Carriers-Backpacks-/100982/i.html?_nkw=mei+tai

Most of those are reversible, so if daddy doesn't want to wear design he can just turn it around and it will be black. I have to say I love it, baby looks so snug and comfy in it and it's so easy to use...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Mentioned I was thinking of buying one to my mam and she said that as far as she knew, they weren't good for babies, bad for back posture and stuff?

Advertisement