Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby sling

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Only if you are wearing them incorrectly, there are plenty of internet videos on how to wear them properly and there are sling meets regularly around the country so other parents can give you advice on how to wear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hehe, thanks for that, I wouldn't want to put the baba at risk by getting a cheaper one if that's the case, I'd prefer not to get one.

Doesn't matter if it's cheap or not, it would matter if it was a known brand and was a fake as you'd have no comeback off the manufacturer then. I have a Palm & Pond Mei Tai, which is the one I bought off ebay and it's really good. It's really a matter of trying with baby wearing, not every sling suits everybody and you may have to try a few before you get the perfect one for you. Which is why you can go to the sling meets and borrow from the sling library to see which you like before you buy.

http://babywearingireland.com/index.php/Sling-Library-Babywearing-Ireland

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Some of the upright type slings are reported to be bad for small babies but most of the modern ones should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

@Jan, would you reccommend your one from birth, well 4 weeks?

I need the insert for my Ergo, but the sling above is the same price! It would be nice for the first 3 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Maybe not the best thing to buy as a gift for someone then, it's not for me and I don't want to get something unsuitable.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    @Jan, would you reccommend your one from birth, well 4 weeks?

I need the insert for my Ergo, but the sling above is the same price! It would be nice for the first 3 months.

Mei Tai's are suitable from birth but I only started using mine at 6 weeks (it took me a while to research which one I think would have suited me, and then ordering it and delivery (that only took 3/4 days). You fold up the material if the baby is smaller.

I'm in the South East and I cant find a shop that sells the Ergo insert. Anyone know of anywhere that sells them anywhere in the country?

I have a few friends who work on the road that could pick one up for me. The postage on the website makes it too expensive for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I think you can only buy it online. I couldn't find it for sale anywhere in Dublin. I bought mine on hipbaby.ie and postage was €4.50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Hipbaby.ie for me as well!

• Advertisement

Perfect, ordered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Hope it's ok to ressurect this thread from a few months ago - but was wondering if anyone has any experience of using the Ergo (or another carrier) with big boobs?

I'm a 36G at 15 weeks pregnant, and assume they will only get bigger after the birth. Am I kidding myself that i will be able to wear these things comfortably?

I think is would be fine there's loads of extra belt to extend it. Until i got pregnant again i had me 10 month old in it. I also had my 2year old neice in it for a walk, plenty room. you can have it so the new borns head doesnt even reach the boobs if you want but you have to adjust it before you side down!! I can measure how much is streaches out, if it would help you, i only have 40dd boobs so far!!!!!

That sounds promising.
    I've never even seen one in real life, so i'm just finding it hard to imagine how it will fit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I used a wrap instead of a pre-formed sling and found the wraps amazing. You can completely conform the fit/knots to work for you & babe so it doesn't matter what size/shape you are it'll be 100% comfy & secure. I (and hubby) used the maya wrap and would 100% recommend it. Our (male) friend who is *large* carried our baby around for a bit and loved it too...with 5m of fabric it barely fit around them but everyone was still comfy.

Kash wrote: »
    That sounds promising.
    I've never even seen one in real life, so i'm just finding it hard to imagine how it will fit!

I will be carrying a newborn in it in the next 3 weeks hopefully, ill send you a pic if it will help. You'd be fine holding off buying one until baby is born I think as you will probably not leave the house for the first few days and mine took about 3 days to come from amazon.

What is it about the ergo that you like?

I liked the fact that the baby was sitting in it rather than being supported via the crotch... I'd read some horrible findings about the Baby Bjorn et al affecting the baba's spine. A photo would be fabulous, but only if it's no hassle - you'll need to be focussing on your little one :)

I was thinking of maybe going into Mothercare and trying a few on to get an idea...

The slings look good, but I can't tie a knot to save my life, so I've a bit more faith in buckles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Kash wrote: »
    That sounds promising.

I use a Patapum soft carrier that I got 2nd hand and it's grand. I've been using it since herself was 3 weeks old - she's 10 weeks now - for shopping, taking the dogs for walks etc and it's very comfortable. You wear it like you would a rucksack but with the baby at the front. I'm 40E and currently size 18 by the way. If it fits me, it'll fit anyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Forgot to mention there's a sling wearing demo on next week in the Citywest Hotel (Monday 30th January at 3pm) if anyone is interested. It's being held at the Friends of Breastfeeding support group (which runs from 2-4).

www.babywearingireland.com/forum
    https://www.facebook.com/babywearingireland

The one advantage of wraps and slings over carriers is they have no buckles... trying to buckle a baby into a carrier when you are on your own is tricky and something that takes a lot of practice...

I'm a size 16 and a 42E and have a Mei Tai carrier. They are fantastic. Baby is so comfortable in it.

• Advertisement

I must check out the Mei Tai... sounds interestiing.

pics of big baby (17 months and small baby (2 weeks) in the ergo in my profile.

Where's the baby :eek: :p So cute :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

That sling/carrier looks really comfy Wmpdd3. I bought one for my little girl when she was newborn.
    Stupid thing cost a small fortune (Maclaren) and was a nightmare of straps/buckles.
    I remember using it the first time to go shopping for a few groceries rather than bringing her in in her buggy.
    It took longer to strap all the buckles than it did to get the shopping :rolleyes: (hence why I've shopped online since :o)

I'm thinking of getting the carrier you put the link up for before January - do you use that with your older girls at all or just with the littlest lady?

I most likely would use it for new baby only, but I could see it being handy to use the odd time with our big girl.

I love the style of this one.......

eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=280764168978
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/280764168978?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_2912wt_952

or this one.......
    eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=150744284106
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/150744284106?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_697wt_952

The prices are so reasonable too. I wonder are they sore on your neck though with the strap there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I have a mamas and papas brand carrier that's pretty good... big boobs n all!
    little man loves it.
    I love the look of the mei tai... would love to try them out... will have to get myself to a sling meet!!

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    pics of big baby (17 months and small baby (2 weeks) in the ergo in my profile.

Thanks so much for doing that - it really looks comfy, and the baby looks so happy (and the little one is clearly playing peekaboo :) )

That sling/carrier looks really comfy Wmpdd3. I bought one for my little girl when she was newborn.
    Stupid thing cost a small fortune (Maclaren) and was a nightmare of straps/buckles.
    I remember using it the first time to go shopping for a few groceries rather than bringing her in in her buggy.
    It took longer to strap all the buckles than it did to get the shopping :rolleyes: (hence why I've shopped online since :o)

I'm thinking of getting the carrier you put the link up for before January - do you use that with your older girls at all or just with the littlest lady?

I most likely would use it for new baby only, but I could see it being handy to use the odd time with our big girl.

I love the style of this one.......

eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=280764168978
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/280764168978?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_2912wt_952

or this one.......
    eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=150744284106
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/150744284106?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_697wt_952

The prices are so reasonable too. I wonder are they sore on your neck though with the strap there?

The straps don't touch my neck at all, once they're tight enough they should just sit on your shoulders. Those two are lovely. So far, I've only used it for Ellen but when it came, Ellen was asleep and I didn't want to wake her, so I put Saoirse into it and she was nice and comfy in there too! (Although Saoirse is only 23 pounds... so take from that what you will!). I really love it, and my aunt is taking Ellen out tomorrow to buy her her christening present and she has decided to bring the sling too after seeing me wearing it.

Yeah you cant see the little man at all! His head is flat against my chest and the insert goes about 2 inches above his head. I went to town yesterday and put the man in the carrier, it was fine, I only had a baby gro and cardigan on him as the insert is really warm.

The only thing is I cant feed him in it. My sister in law can, but I cant fathom it. He fed about 3 times during the hour in town, so I got to see nothing!

I can feed him in the snuggly sling but its very light, you'd need to put him in a snow suit to bring him out.

I often carry the bigger girl to the shop in the carirer. I had to stop for a while though while I was pregnant and immobile!

Oh yeah and even at size 16 with massive boobs I'm only using half of possible straps, theres loads left.

Advertisement