Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beagle and shih tzu

• 28-03-2011 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I am thinking of getting a shih tzu pup for company for my 11 month old female beagle and wondering what you guys think.My beagle is just gone 11 months old and is in and out of the house all the time but i feel a little playmate would be great for her.Am thinking a female one as i think they may get on better.Have loads of room for them to play so that wont be a problem.Any comments are welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Male and Female nearly always get on better together (obviously once neutered) female and female can sometimes cause problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Good idea getting a companion, the only issue id have is the different activity and energy levels both breeds have. Beagles would be high energy dogs whereas Shih tzus not as much. If it was me id be getting 2 companions of equalish temperament so their nutrition and exercise requirements would compliment each other also.Easier for you in the long run.A long tiring walk for a Shih tzu would be a stroll for a Beagle etc, so you'd end up with a knackered smallie but still energised Beagle. Would you think of a Springer Spaniel or even a Jack Russell? Jacks would easily be able to keep up with the exercise demands if you're thinking a long the lines of a smaller breed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭tina turner

on contrary my shih tzu is just burst of energy. not sure if comparable to beagle but i'd say it would keep up no problem :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

on contrary my shih tzu is just burst of energy. not sure if comparable to beagle but i'd say it would keep up no problem :)

the only shih tzu I know is a friends' dog who did an 8k cliff walk with us a few weeks ago and was more than able to keep up with my year old cocker and a lab!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

In my experience, beagles aren't actually high energy dogs. They have great stamina alright, but dont necessarily like to use it all up. Shih tzus are quite high energy dogs, which people dont seem to realise. A shih tzu would be well able to keep up with a beagle. But definitely get the opposite gender- shih tzus can be dominant dogs and tend not to like being with the same sex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I stand corrected so :p Wow, i always thought the complete opposite tbh.Ive never owned one or know anyone that does so great to know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭tina turner

I was so surprised after we discovered the energy levels of our puppy. I was thinking,will get shih tzu, lap dog... nowhere near, constantly on the move, very playful and social. Lovely breed though.

(sorry for changing the topic) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Thanks a mil guys.Was talking to my wife and agreed that a male probably would be best.She decided to throw another spanner in the works by suggesting a cavalier king charles either so we are back at undecided again.We have 2 kids of 4 and 2 and a half so which one has the better temperment with kids or as i believe if they grow up with them they will be fine!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

i would think that a shih tzu would be a better match for a beagle than a cav. in my experience cavs would be much less energetic and very fragile. I am basing this on my friends' 2 cavs & my aunts one versus the shih tzu... beagles are quite strong dogs so I would be wary of a fragile cav. The shih tzu I know has a big massive lab as a companion and is well able for him!

Advertisement