Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laying decorative stone

Options
  • 28-03-2011 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

I am planning to put some decorative stone down in my back garden. It's a rectangular section with walls on two sides and concrete path on the other two so I don't think there'll be an issue with the stones moving.

Do I just have to remove the top soil, put down plastic sheeting to prevent weeds/grass growing and lay the stone on top? Am I over simplifying the process? :o

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

kkelly77 wrote: »
    I am planning to put some decorative stone down in my back garden. It's a rectangular section with walls on two sides and concrete path on the other two so I don't think there'll be an issue with the stones moving.

Do I just have to remove the top soil, put down plastic sheeting to prevent weeds/grass growing and lay the stone on top? Am I over simplifying the process? :o

K
    Top Soil
    Unless you need to remove (Too High) or have use for this top soil I don't see a reason to remove it...

But Make sure to use a woven Plastic like mypex or some cheaper alternatives ....Don't use plastic that the water/rain can't pass thru..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

jezko wrote: »
    Top Soil
    Unless you need to remove (Too High) or have use for this top soil I don't see a reason to remove it...

But Make sure to use a woven Plastic like mypex or some cheaper alternatives ....Don't use plastic that the water/rain can't pass thru..

I'd say I'd have to take a few inches off the top ( :D ) to make sure the stones don't get moved around. The garden slopes away from the house.

Any idea what sort of money Mypex goes for? Or how to calculate how much stone will cover a certain area?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

No need to remove soil grass, kill same with a solution of bleach water or roundup

You definetely need a membrane, mypex is sold in big rolls, for a small area landscping fabric will suffice

Glenview lite, their website will calc how much you need based on sq metres and depth. Depth at least 2 inches

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭X1R

For weed sheeting you can get cheaper rolls for around €12. Stay away from them if you can.
    The proper mypex is a 50m roll by 1 meter high for around €40.
    If you are going to take off the top soil, that could be used to get a raised bed started for some veggies ??
    Just my two cents worth....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Whichever membrane you decide to use, but Mypex is the better option(available in roll formats, various lengths and widths), make sure you secure the membrane with pegs or improvise and make your own 'U' ties (wire hangers). Nothing worse to see a nice pebble area spoiled by unsightly bits of the membrane sticking up here and there.

If you do not require to take out any soil, I would also kill (spray with any systemic weedkiller) the grass before laying membrane. ;)

• Advertisement

After a bit of thought, I am planning to now remove all the grass from the front and back gardens.

I've finished some calculations and I figure I will need approximately 4.3 tons of gravel to cover all grass areas front and back. I figure this will cost around €400 for the decorative stone.

Does that price sound about right? Can anyone recommend a supplier? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭leinad

Dan Morrissey in Rathdrum , Co. Wicklow,
    Get yourself a trailer/pay someone to collect as the minimum delivery is 10 tonne
    35 euro a tonne + VAT for decorative stone

so yours will be 150-200 euro i should think

leinad wrote: »
    Dan Morrissey in Rathdrum , Co. Wicklow,
    Get yourself a trailer/pay someone to collect as the minimum delivery is 10 tonne
    35 euro a tonne + VAT for decorative stone

so yours will be 150-200 euro i should think

That's not bad price wise :)

I do have a trailer only pretty sure it couldn't take more than 1 1/2 ton. Also, getting it from the trailer into the garden would be another problem :(

Advertisement