Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Party wall/privacy suggestions

• 28-03-2011 7:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

I have an issue with the party wall in my back garden.

The wall is block built and is 6 blocks high. My neighbours have a patio area outside their back door making their ground level higher than mine. This is resulting in a bit of a privacy problem for me, as they can see right into my kitchen window. On my side of the wall the height is about 4'6" and on my neightbours side it's more like 3'.

Obviously raising the wall would sort this. However, the wall would need to be raised by at least 4 more courses to get the privacy I require. This would mean the wall would be approx 7' (if not higher on my side). This might make the garden feel more like a prison than a nice place to be in the summer.

Does anyone have any other possible options? Or have you had a similar problem and come up with a clever solution? Thanks for the help.

K.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭chuchyface

How about attaching trellis ? would give you the privacy you want but still allow light in so would not feel so closed in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You can legally build a boundary wall to 2 meters high in a back garden.
    And 1.2 meters high in a front garden

Im not sure if that is 2 meters from actual ground level or the foundation level???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

chuchyface wrote: »
    How about attaching trellis ? would give you the privacy you want but still allow light in so would not feel so closed in.

Not a bad idea but I'd be concerned about the longevity of the trellis as it would need upkeep to stop it from rotting away (the neighbours like to hang some of they're washing on the wall :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

willow is nice as an alternative screen

Advertisement