Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headset

Options
  • 28-03-2011 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭

I'm using the headset that came with the 360 but it's dire quality, keeps cutting out mid sentence, constantly crackling etc..
    I was thinking of one of those xbox wireless sets but I was told that they don't improve the quality, their only feature is being wireless.

Short of forking out on an expensive set of headphones and macgyvering them, are there any solutions to improve this problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Shell out. Totally worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

agree with raze shell the **** out.....

tritton ax720s are your only man expensive but surround sound hi def sound quality, you wont be disappointed trust me itl give u the edge in online gaming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

You're correct about the wireless MS headsets. They don't offer any improvement in sound quality.

The "cutting out" issue may be that your bandwidth might be getting used up by other programs either on your or someone else's PC/laptop on your network. Make sure all torrent programs are switched off, nobody's using youtube etc.

As for headsets that improve voice quality... virtually every other decent headset will make dramatic improvements to the voice quality. If you're on a budget, try the cheapest offering from TurtleBeach (http://www.limexb360.co.uk/product/Turtle_Beach_Ear_Force_XLC_TBEAFXLC), I've heard good things about them from a friend. Obviously, the more you can shell out, the better the overall sound quality will be.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

the turtle beach xlc posted above are an excellent headset for the price. probably cheaper that that wireless one you're on about too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭D3UC3 J3

Never had a problem with the bundled headsets.

Have had a few of them.

Make sure it's not your bandwidth before you go shelling out on a turtle beach h\s

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

D3UC3 J3 wrote: »
    Never had a problem with the bundled headsets.

Have had a few of them.

Make sure it's not your bandwidth before you go shelling out on a turtle beach h\s

Same, I am using headset only when playing with friends, just for mic.

I got viuce
    Coming from bouth: tv and headset. Works fine.

I hate playing with headsets thought... I love the roaring telly :).

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Rallymad

Turtle beech x4.1 have a set there the job specialy playing cod every footstep you hear but they are expensive.
    http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/xbox-gaming-headsets/ear-force-x41.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

i have the turtle beach x11s and ever since i bought them i find it very hard to play a game without them.

just a question of the boys with the surround sound ones.

is there much difference?

how do you connect them to get the surround sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

dunworth1 wrote: »
    i have the turtle beach x11s and ever since i bought them i find it very hard to play a game without them.

Opti out on the back of the new xbox's , on my Trittons box theres a button for dobly surround sound.
    I would say theres a difference , you probably wouldnt notice it too much until you actually went back to your x11's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

These are the ones I'll be purchasing this week.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/07/turtle-beach-earforce-px5-gaming-headset-hands-on-preview/

Expensive as fcuk but will be well worth it imo.

Yeah, they use the optical cable. You will notice a dramatic difference in sound quality. Basically, you have an analogue connection now, optical will allow you to have a digital sound.

Imagine the difference in picture quality between an old tube telly and a new HD LCD screen, that's the quality difference.

I have both x4's and the x41's, the original x4's are analogue but the newer x41's are digital. With the older x4's there's always a slight hissing noise in the background. You wouldn't even notice it there until you put on the newer x41's are then you become aware of the difference in clarity.

That_Guy wrote: »
    These are the ones I'll be purchasing this week.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/07/turtle-beach-earforce-px5-gaming-headset-hands-on-preview/

Expensive as fcuk but will be well worth it imo.

Seriously, don't buy them yet, wait a few more weeks to see Razer's new Chimaera headset. It'll be wireless, 5.1 surround sound headset and due out here in April. The base station will double as a recharger for your headset while you hang them on it. Should be good for about 8 hours gameplay per charge. Let's face it, you'll need a break then ;)

Supposedly, the product quality of the headset is going to set the benchmark for all gaming headsets. It's only going to be a fraction of the weight of Tritton's ax720 pro's (which are wired!), deliver virtually the same sound quality, more comfortable to wear and have a far superior feel and build to them.

I've been waiting and tracking their development for a year now and can't wait to get my hands on them and their matching Onza controller! Did I mention how awesome they look!!! (After posting this, if Razer feel like offering me a discount or commission, I shall accept humbly :D )

Razer-Chimaera-5.1-Surround-Sound-Gaming-Headset-up-for-pre-orders-GamerXpot-01-300x225.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEiDVeVWX8iyP1DmmX3ph-Xx2kWbU-gX_sFPK5g6EnwS9Fw82U9w

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Yeah, they use the optical cable. You will notice a dramatic difference in sound quality. Basically, you have an analogue connection now, optical will allow you to have a digital sound.

Imagine the difference in picture quality between an old tube telly and a new HD LCD screen, that's the quality difference.

I have both x4's and the x41's, the original x4's are analogue but the newer x41's are digital. With the older x4's there's always a slight hissing noise in the background. You wouldn't even notice it there until you put on the newer x41's are then you become aware of the difference in clarity.

i'm thinking about upgrading to wireless now as i have way too many wires running across my room.

its just hard to justify spending so much on headphones
    i might wait a few weeks and crack open my spare change box and see what i have.

i'm thinking about upgrading to wireless now as i have way too many wires running across my room.

i might wait a few weeks and crack open my spare change box and see what i have.
    Tis about two weekends out. Except it's last longer and less of the sick feeling

Once I've got the Chimaera's, I may have a pair of x4's laying around unused. I'm sure we could come to an arrangement ;) Capasso uses them on Monday night's for a few hours when he's here. I suppose he'll expect the x41's if I move on to the Chimaera's :D

Once I've got the Chimaera's, I may have a pair of x4's laying around unused. I'm sure we could come to an arrangement ;) Capasso uses them on Monday night's for a few hours when he's here. I suppose he'll expect the x41's if I move on to the Chimaera's :D
    *Checks the ratio of times stolen capasso's tags to times he got mine*

*sniggers*

I'd skip them Dunworth :pac:

*Checks the ratio of times stolen capasso's tags to times he got mine*

*sniggers*

I'd skip them Dunworth :pac:

It's not the headset's fault he has the reactions of a medicated Sloth :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Personally I'm waiting for the Creative Tactic3D Omega wireless gaming headset, as it can be used across all the platforms I own (PC, Xbox 360, PS3) and just about everything else. I couldn't justify spending ~€200 on headset in only being able to use it on some of my games.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/07/creative-sound-blaster-tactic-3d-omega-headphones-have-a-long-na/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Wel I wasn't looking to upgrade for the sake of super sorround quality, I am just sick of randomly losing sentences in the middle of an in game conversation.

• Advertisement

Seriously, don't buy them yet, wait a few more weeks to see Razer's new Chimaera headset. It'll be wireless, 5.1 surround sound headset and due out here in April. The base station will double as a recharger for your headset while you hang them on it. Should be good for about 8 hours gameplay per charge. Let's face it, you'll need a break then ;)

Supposedly, the product quality of the headset is going to set the benchmark for all gaming headsets. It's only going to be a fraction of the weight of Tritton's ax720 pro's (which are wired!), deliver virtually the same sound quality, more comfortable to wear and have a far superior feel and build to them.

I've been waiting and tracking their development for a year now and can't wait to get my hands on them and their matching Onza controller! Did I mention how awesome they look!!! (After posting this, if Razer feel like offering me a discount or commission, I shall accept humbly :D )

Razer-Chimaera-5.1-Surround-Sound-Gaming-Headset-up-for-pre-orders-GamerXpot-01-300x225.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEiDVeVWX8iyP1DmmX3ph-Xx2kWbU-gX_sFPK5g6EnwS9Fw82U9w

They look quality mate. I've got a PS3 too but these don't work with that. Still though, they look mint.

I can always have more than one headset right? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Actually, on that note, does anybody have a set they are looking to flog?

They look quality mate. I've got a PS3 too but these don't work with that. Still though, they look mint.

I can always have more than one headset right? :pac:

I'm currently convincing myself that it'd be ok for me to have three :rolleyes: Own Turtle Beach x4's & x41's... but that Razer stuff is quality.

I'm in the process of building a gaming PC (refuse to buy a PS3, not because there's anything wrong with them, just wouldn't make sense since I've three 360's), so the Chimaera's would work great with the PC as well as the xbox. Decking the PC out with Razer mouse, keyboard and gaming pad... so may as well buy the Chimaera and Onza too... if they sold PJ's I'd buy them too :D

I'm currently convincing myself that it'd be ok for me to have three :rolleyes: Own Turtle Beach x4's & x41's... but that Razer stuff is quality.

I'm in the process of building a gaming PC (refuse to buy a PS3, not because there's anything wrong with them, just wouldn't make sense since I've three 360's), so the Chimaera's would work great with the PC as well as the xbox. Decking the PC out with Razer mouse, keyboard and gaming pad... so may as well buy the Chimaera and Onza too... if they sold PJ's I'd buy them too :D
    Moose, you have to be the most subtle salesman in the world. Over 1500 hundred posts and at least half are plugging some merch, no wonder you can afford all the tech you have you must be on some comission :D

Moose, you have to be the most subtle salesman in the world. Over 1500 hundred posts and at least half are plugging some merch, no wonder you can afford all the tech you have you must be on some comission :D

Commission, I wish! I just know what I like :o

Before I got into gaming, I couldn't resist any piece of new tech that was chrome and black... be it phones, PDA's or any new gadget!

Although I've been really, really sensible for the last year or so and haven't bought anything... so I'm basically I'm about to go nuts and drop a shed load on tech this month!

I'm also open to suggestions :D

Any idea how much that Chimera headset will cost Moose?

EDIT: Found it. $199 from their site... Not sure if they deliver to Ireland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Anyone interested I'm a set of trotting ax720s? The black ops edition? I would love to keep em I'm just broke!!! :( will sell for a reasonable price! They are a month old and cost me 200 notes! Would be interested in a swap exchange if cash was heading my way!!!

Any idea how much that Chimera headset will cost Moose?

EDIT: Found it. $199 from their site... Not sure if they deliver to Ireland though.

Here's a link to two UK sites that do deliver to Ireland. I've used both in the past and found them pretty good to deal with. Only the stereo headset is currently available but give it a few weeks and the 5.1 will be too.

Hope this helps.

http://www.limexb360.co.uk/product/Razer_Chimaera_Gaming_Headset_for_Xbox_360_RCWGH
    http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/19267513/Razer-Chimaera-Wireless-Gaming-Headset-for-Xbox-360-Chimaera/Product.html?searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0&searchstring=razer+chimaera&urlrefer=search

Anyone interested I'm a set of trotting ax720s? The black ops edition? I would love to keep em I'm just broke!!! :( will sell for a reasonable price! They are a month old and cost me 200 notes! Would be interested in a swap exchange if cash was heading my way!!!

Dark Knight, I'm sure you're aware that you can't actually advertise or sell products on this forum. You can use adverts.ie, which is free to advertise on.
    Pop an ad up there and I'm pretty sure you'll get a buyer.
    PM me the link on adverts and I'll post it on the IRL CLAN website for you too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

What do you guys think of the Tritton AX120 or AX180s? Does anyone on here use them?

Looking to get a mid range set for about €50 and don't want to buy Turtle Beach, as I've heard too many stories of faulty speakers.

Advertisement