Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spy Party

Options
  • 28-03-2011 7:40pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭

This is potentially the most exciting multiplayer game in development. Simple concept: sniper vs spy. The spy is at a party, and the sniper at a window across from it. The sniper has to observe the party as the spy tries to complete his objectives without alerting the sniper. The sniper has one bullet, and a laser sight shows the spy where the gun is pointed at all times. In theory.

It sounds brilliant - the preview in Edge a few months ago sounded fascinating, today's preview on Kotaku showing the level of balance Chris Hecker is putting into the thing. The goal is to remain natural - the spy can move around predefined lines in order to blend with the AI, for example.

Probably the game on the horizon I'm most curious about. When it will ever make it out is another thing, and whether there will be more scenarios is another (Edge mentioned there would be). Hecker's goal seems to be to really get down to the nuts and bolts of how people play games and try to build a game around that psychology, altering the rules as he sees other people playing it. It has a tonne of potential, and anyone trying something different to standard team deathmatch is to be applauded.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

I'm increasingly drawn to games like this - Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (and The Ship before it which I haven't played) reward a different set of skills in order to get your kill. I like the idea of trying to act inconspicuous whilst simultaneously attempting to complete your objective or get a kill. Really gets the heart racing too when you're having a particularly tense match - The Ship looks like it's attempting to distill that experience down to it's most pure and awesome form. Hope they can pull it off!

I'll probably buy The Ship on Steam and PSN just to support Chris Hecker, he's a really interesting guy. His talks he gave at GDC the past few years were really good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

GothPunk wrote: »
    I'm increasingly drawn to games like this - Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (and The Ship before it which I haven't played) reward a different set of skills in order to get your kill. I like the idea of trying to act inconspicuous whilst simultaneously attempting to complete your objective or get a kill. Really gets the heart racing too when you're having a particularly tense match - The Ship looks like it's attempting to distill that experience down to it's most pure and awesome form. Hope they can pull it off!

I'll probably buy The Ship on Steam and PSN just to support Chris Hecker, he's a really interesting guy. His talks he gave at GDC the past few years were really good.

Actually, must give AC:B multiplayer a whirl tonight. Was a bit behind getting started on that game, and by the time I finished the singleplayer there was a serious pile of discs forming I had to attend to! Always was intrigued by it. It really is great that people are trying to do a bit more with multiplayer - just whacking in a multiplayer mode isn't the way to do it, considering there is such a ludicrous amount of deathmatch games on the market. Innovation is to be applauded - especially something as in-depth and thoughtfully considered as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

BUMP.

I recently listened to the Gamespot podcast about this with Chris Hecker. Sounds like it could be a great game. Loved the idea for it.

He is doing the whole paid beta thing so I'm just after signing up for it. Think you should expect to sign up for $15 but if you pay more than $50 you will get your name in the credits.
    It sounds so intriguing just how you go about evading the sniper and how the sniper can spot you.
    Here's a link to the podcast. A great listen that got me to register my interest on the site for beta access.
    http://uk.gamespot.com/events/the-hotspot/story.html?sid=6349222

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Thanks for the bump kearneybobs - I had completely forgotten about this. Looks genuinely unique. Will look into the paid beta now.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

I don't know how they could keep it fresh though, after a couple of games it would get repetitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

f*ck yes, got an invite! Expect screens or somesuch

gearoidof wrote: »
    f*ck yes, got an invite! Expect screens or somesuch
    Damn you. Really want to get one! Sounds sooo good. Looking forward to your thoughts on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

I'l summarize it as fun, but quite overwhelming!

A sniper winning

Spy winning.

Really looking forward to getting my hands on the beta invite. Anyone else get in on the action? If so, what are your thoughts?

Beta invite just arrived today. Anyone else got into it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Beta invite just arrived today. Anyone else got into it?

Yeah, I got one today. I almost forgot ever signing up for it. I was listening to a podcast well over a year ago when Chris Hecker was describing it and decided to sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I know I'm draggin up an old thread, but better than making a new one.

I got sent a Beta invite today, however...you need to pay $15 for Beta access
    Explained below
    http://www.spyparty.com/2011/08/11/spyparty-early-access-beta-pricing/

So, if anyone wants to pay the $15 they can have my link to access as I won't be using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I bought into it in February but only played it the once and have been meaning to go back to it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Really like the idea of that game but being in Australia I'm not sure I can be bothered as pings would be unplayable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Lol, this has been on my "one to buy one day" pile for years. I know it's in beta but have been waiting ages for it to get to a certain level before buying.

I like the idea of it and it's a game that's right up my alley.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

How am I only finding out about this today? Apparently it went Steam Early Access yesterday. I bought it four hours ago, when I first heard about it, and love it.

Fantastic concept and brilliant game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Was interested....6 years ago.
    Decided to look again today...as was possibly still interested...but not for 25 !
    Not sure where he's getting his pricing from

My concerns I'd like answered are:

A: does ping matter?

B: replayability? Is it easy to spot the spy after a few hours play.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Was interested....6 years ago.
    Decided to look again today...as was possibly still interested...but not for 25 !
    Not sure where he's getting his pricing from

I don't think age would affect this concept. It's still thoroughly unique and the engine doesn't need to be that pretty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A: does ping matter?

It's very generous in terms of timing, and some degree of jank is built into the speed and type of movement. Can't imagine it would be a major issue.
    B: replayability? Is it easy to spot the spy after a few hours play.

Well the most committed Beta players have played 1000s of games.

Based on my first few games, I've found the sniper sections more manageable than the spy ones. Very hard to pull off some of the spy tricks, but if you catch one of the 'tells' as the sniper you're away.

Advertisement