Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NO MORE RESITS for Comp-SCI ??

Options
  • 28-03-2011 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Below is an email circular that was sent out today to current computer science students. I have copied it below for you to read. It states that resits will no longer be allowed for computer science modules from the beginning of the next academic year. I was wondering what you guys thing of this. Does it happen elsewhere in other subject areas? I've never heard of this happening in any university or college. This mean that someone who fails a module in semester 1 cannot resit it in semester 2 examination period. That would have fee implications for example is a student intends not to return for the next academic year (for whatever reason) but still want's to complete the year he/she would have to come back the following year whether they like it or not and pay tuition fee's (€1230,00) just to say repeat one subject to get the pass for the year. Additionally how would one cope with doing 6 + how many retakes! What a timetable that would look like! Can't say I'd be interested in taking up a couse of study at UCD with those conditions attached. Surely this new tactic shoud not apply to all current students for the remainder of their course !! Here's the circular...
    Hi CSI Undergraduate Student

If you are an undergraduate student registered to a Computer Science module, I have been directed by Joe Carthy, Head of School to give you advanced notice that CSI module resits will not be available from the next academic year 2011/12. If a module is not passed, repeat of the module or taking an alternative CSI module will be the available options to you. All other CSI School rules and regulations stand.
    Please be aware that there are ongoing support structures in place to assist you (see http://www.csi.ucd.ie/content/student-support
    ). Listed are details which include contact information on the Computer Science Support Centre and Maths Support Centre. Be sure to contact and utilise these facilities if you are experiencing difficulties with any of your modules.

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

aliceIW wrote: »
    Below is an email circular that was sent out today to current computer science students. I have copied it below for you to read. It states that resits will no longer be allowed for computer science modules from the beginning of the next academic year. I was wondering what you guys thing of this. Does it happen elsewhere in other subject areas? I've never heard of this happening in any university or college. This mean that someone who fails a module in semester 1 cannot resit it in semester 2 examination period. That would have fee implications for example is a student intends not to return for the next academic year (for whatever reason) but still want's to complete the year he/she would have to come back the following year whether they like it or not and pay tuition fee's (€1230,00) just to say repeat one subject to get the pass for the year. Additionally how would one cope with doing 6 + how many retakes! What a timetable that would look like! Can't say I'd be interested in taking up a couse of study at UCD with those conditions attached. Surely this new tactic shoud not apply to all current students for the remainder of their course !! Here's the circular...
    Hi CSI Undergraduate Student

If you are an undergraduate student registered to a Computer Science module, I have been directed by Joe Carthy, Head of School to give you advanced notice that CSI module resits will not be available from the next academic year 2011/12. If a module is not passed, repeat of the module or taking an alternative CSI module will be the available options to you. All other CSI School rules and regulations stand.
    Please be aware that there are ongoing support structures in place to assist you (see http://www.csi.ucd.ie/content/student-support
    ). Listed are details which include contact information on the Computer Science Support Centre and Maths Support Centre. Be sure to contact and utilise these facilities if you are experiencing difficulties with any of your modules.

Regards

I'm pretty sure it means you cant just do a resit, but have to fully repeat the module the next time it's offered.

Same cost, you just going into the next year paying the cost of the repeat (Which is the same as the repeat fee).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

If this is a step towards removing all resits/repeats (apart from medical/extenuating circumstances), than I'm in favour.

If it's just another money making scheme, then I'm not.

Advertisement