Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ivy

• 28-03-2011 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Guys,

We've been on a briar and brush cutting mission for years, exposing and building up walls that were previously covered in. Problem now is that ivy has taken over. Cattle love ivy, eat ivy, knock down wall, munkus has to build wall again and again :( . Bar fencing every single internal wall, is there anything that can kill this hellish plant? I know there's a waxy film on the leaf to limit the effectiveness of sprays. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Always thought cutting ivy at the base near the ground worked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

Thanks John,

There's miles of it, webbed throughout the the walls. Alot of double stone walls too where the roots are comming from the middle. The joys of farming in the west.

Fair enough :pac: Maybe you should swap the cattle for sheep, they love ivy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

yep cut near the roots :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

ROUNDUP, fairly strong with washing up liquid in in.

There are proprietary ivy sprays as well, but I can't remember the name. Maybe your local merchant/co-op could help.

If it is going through the wall, then it could have helped to cause the collapse. Don't blame the poor cattle for it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

i killed ivy last year with scrub-ban great job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

Thanks Lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mick2706

ravima wrote: »
    ROUNDUP, fairly strong with washing up liquid in in.

There are proprietary ivy sprays as well, but I can't remember the name. Maybe your local merchant/co-op could help.

If it is going through the wall, then it could have helped to cause the collapse. Don't blame the poor cattle for it!

Just wondering did you put much washing up liquid in a napsack full? Whats the reason for the washing up liquid out of curiosity? - A cleaner job maybe?!

mick2706 wrote: »
    Just wondering did you put much washing up liquid in a napsack full? Whats the reason for the washing up liquid out of curiosity? - A cleaner job maybe?!

Helps the herbicide stick to the plant. Fine for putting in knapsack sprayers but don't put it into more complicated sprayers. Friend of mine reckons it perishes the rubber seals and will cause havoc in tractor sprayers and the like. Knapsack sprayer, what's the worst that can happen, replace a couple of O rings and job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dukey

If the ivy is really thick, get your cordless drill and drill a few holes in it not straight in but downwards and pour straight roundup straight in use a dosing syringe does a brilliant job, lot of restoration work done in my area on an old castle and ruins etc the ivy was extremly heavy and the lads on the rebuild project always use this method, use enough and you will see results in 7/10 days. roundup is systemic so it works down to the roots and the high up ivy just dies off then.. regarding roundup its just a brand name that we all still use tons of generics out there including GALLUP, ROSEATE,CLINIC,WEED OUT,GLYFOS 360, and at least 6 more basically if it contains 360grms of glyphospate per litre its a generic of roundup and and a lot cheaper and the SAME product.

• Advertisement

dukey wrote: »
    If the ivy is really thick, get your cordless drill and drill a few holes in it not straight in but downwards and pour straight roundup straight in use a dosing syringe does a brilliant job, lot of restoration work done in my area on an old castle and ruins etc the ivy was extremly heavy and the lads on the rebuild project always use this method, use enough and you will see results in 7/10 days. roundup is systemic so it works down to the roots and the high up ivy just dies off then.. regarding roundup its just a brand name that we all still use tons of generics out there including GALLUP, ROSEATE,CLINIC,WEED OUT,GLYFOS 360, and at least 6 more basically if it contains 360grms of glyphospate per litre its a generic of roundup and and a lot cheaper and the SAME product.

I was advised to do that with large gorse stumps as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dukey

yes it will work on heavy stumps as well john and light trees indeed as well that are growing through walls or buildings etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

would it rot out 4 inch stumps of trees?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I've found that cutting ivy dosnt get rid of it. it seems to come back quicker and stronger. The injection idea of round up sounds like a good idea but very time consuming. Basically youre trying to get at the living part of the ivy. With trees its a small green layer under the bark and a small amount of functioning wood that will transport the roundup to the roots and kill it. I had arrived at the conclusion with ivy on walls to use roundup in a bit of dry weather during the summer, but to follow up with a few applications on the weakened plants. have to see if it works. Ivy is endemic so very difficult to get rid of altogeather and all it takes is a small bit of root to survive and off it goes again.

Advertisement