Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

equine Dentists?

Options
  • 28-03-2011 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of any good dentists around the kildare/dublin area? The yard itself is situated in Donadea, Kildare. Preferably a dependible dentist who will actually make an appointment time and not be full of excuses all the time.

And would any of you know how much I would expect to pay if I get wolf teeth removed from a 9 year old mare? She never got them out, and I think they are the root of a lot of problems at the moment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 PonyPerson

Try Mark Kane from County Meath! Excellent! Great job and excellent value!

http://mkequinedental.wordpress.com/

he's 40 euro for everything included.. wolf teeth, caps, bit seats the lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

PonyPerson wrote: »
    Try Mark Kane from County Meath! Excellent! Great job and excellent value!

http://mkequinedental.wordpress.com/

he's 40 euro for everything included.. wolf teeth, caps, bit seats the lot!

Thanks a million! I reckon it may cost a bit more as she may need a sedative for the wolf teeth haha. But thanks, I'll definitly give him a call!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 DougalZ

Niamh Martin, Equine Smiles, 0872885206. She's very good with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I used (horseless now) Marc Higgins Advanced Equine Dentistry; 0876884908

I found him to be very good and reliable, he is nationwide. Here is an article by him below

http://www.ihwt.ie/site/?p=1087

PonyPerson is your one including VAT in that 40? Seems a bit too cheap to me.

Doesn't use sedative, only a vet can give one legally! He uses a topical local anesthetic instead! He's a good horseman too and had no difficulty keeping my two quiet (even though they never had any dental work done before). worth a shot! cheapest around! Hes local to you too, you're close to maynooth??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Doesn't use sedative, only a vet can give one legally!

Are you sure? I've been in a lot of yards where sedatives have been administered by 'normal' people (i.e. non vets) for horses which are problematic to clip, shoe, etc. The sedative was bought from a vet, though.

Doesn't use sedative, only a vet can give one legally! He uses a topical local anesthetic instead! He's a good horseman too and had no difficulty keeping my two quiet (even though they never had any dental work done before). worth a shot! cheapest around! Hes local to you too, you're close to maynooth??

Yea I live in Maynooth, may give him a call anyway, worth a shot. I have a fair few numbers piled up now only waiting to get paid :rolleyes:

As the sedative though, we have given many young horses a sedative in order to calm them down for the farrier/vet/dentist ... including a connemara gelding that is wired to the moon. Although perhaps you're thinking of a sedative like the 'knocking out' type, I meant it in a more mellow out the horse kind of thing.

She'll definitly need a local anesthetic, or some sort of sedative, it wouldn't be fun for a comming 10 mare to get two teeth removed!

convert wrote: »
    Are you sure? I've been in a lot of yards where sedatives have been administered by 'normal' people (i.e. non vets) for horses which are problematic to clip, shoe, etc. The sedative was bought from a vet, though.

At our yard we have to sedate a horse in order for him to get farrier work done on him. I'm thinking perhaps the poster if thinking of a sedative as in the type to knock the horse out, not to calm it down ....

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

At our yard we have to sedate a horse in order for him to get farrier work done on him. I'm thinking perhaps the poster if thinking of a sedative as in the type to knock the horse out, not to calm it down ....

No you do not have to be a vet to give sedative ,I have giving it a few times .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mark Kane EqDt

It is true that it is illegal to administer sedative if you are not a vet, UNLESS YOU ARE GIVING IT TO YOUR OWN HORSE. i could lose my license to practice for using it. i can confidentley say i have never needed to use sedative on any horse i have worked on and have never had to walk away from a job. And i have also never been told that i am TOO cheap. we are in a recession at the moment and my prices reflect that to my clients.

Jenny you can contact me anytime to set up an appointment, and im never late!

• Advertisement

It is true that it is illegal to administer sedative if you are not a vet, UNLESS YOU ARE GIVING IT TO YOUR OWN HORSE. i could lose my license to practice for using it. i can confidentley say i have never needed to use sedative on any horse i have worked on and have never had to walk away from a job. And i have also never been told that i am TOO cheap. we are in a recession at the moment and my prices reflect that to my clients.

I'll give you a buzz once I get paid. So hopefully soon she needs the work done badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

Sorry but you are a tad wrong , Are you a vet ?? I have administered a type of sedative and my insurance covered me for it and i am not a vet .:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Larna

Can anyone recommend someone for south County Mayo?

I'm on a very tight budget. My 7 year old tb had a lot of tooth work done last July, cost a fortune, and now I'd like to get him checked over to see there are no problems, but without it costing a fortune.

He grew a large lump on his cheek over a year ago that turned out to just be a boney cyst, after loads of x-rays, ultrasound, biopsy, etc. Was diagnosed as totally harmless.

Yesterday I thought it looked a little swelled below that original lump he has, just above where his upper teeth would set, but it may have been my imagination.

His behaviour is totally normal, eating normally, no pain from pressing on the original lump or the area I think might be swelled (it could just be related to the original lump but I hadn't noticed it before), I worry though, and if I could get an equine dentist to take a look without costing a fortune, that'd be great.

He is being driven nuts by flies right now in the field so it's possible if it is swollen, a fly bite could be the culprit.

Any info appreciated!

Got her done 3 weeks ago - she has two wolf teeth that never erupted properly.
    She got both removed just with a general anesthetic. beyond thrilled, she's a brand new horse now!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 melsk1

I used (horseless now) Marc Higgins Advanced Equine Dentistry; 0876884908

I found him to be very good and reliable, he is nationwide. Here is an article by him below

http://www.ihwt.ie/site/?p=1087[/u

PonyPerson is your one including VAT in that 40? Seems a bit too cheap to me.

Another Marc Higgins fan!! At least you know with Marc that he has all the ED qualifications. He also uses electric tools which is quicker and much better at doing the job. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Thorough

I work in a thoroughbred training yard, we have 12-15 horses in at a time and we had Mark Kane out a couple of times to get them all done! Mark done an absolutley fantastic job, we had one 3 year old filly who was nasty, bad tempered and wouldnt accept the bit at all until her teeth were done and now she rides perfect, all the horses stood unbeliveably quiet for him unsedated, even the young skittish ones, i would recomend Mark to anyone, he does a fantastic job on all the horses, he is there the day he says he'll be, is very gentle with them, takes his time, treats every horse like they are a jumping/racing superstar in the care he gives them and he's also one of the nicest people iv ever met, i never met mark before i was holding horses for him yet he talked away to me like he'd known me years!
    A fantastic Dentist and a lovely man:D:D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Strongrider

Serious Mark Kane fan, done a fantastic job for me :)......<snip>

Had mark Kane out for a float a few weeks back - I'm very happy with him - horse went brilliantly haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Mark Higgins without a shadow of a doubt!! Did a great job on my Mare couple wks ago & to say she is softer in the mouth is an understatement:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement