Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby steps

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

A deliberately relaxed run after 2 harder days. Slow and steady up to the top of the hill. Relaxed coming down. Perfect conditions. Evenings closing in.

10.75k, 4:58pace, 344m climb
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/116305115

Handful of trail loops. Comfortable pace for the most part except the last k when I pushed it on a bit as the evening light faded badly. Goodbye long evenings.

I've gotten used to resting on Fridays but as I'm helping out at the WAR Powerscourt tomorrow I may not get the chance to run tomorrow, so a run this evening it was.

9.26k, 4:14 pace, 89m climb
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/116484875

The weekend was a wash out. Saturday I was helping out at the WAR AR at Sugarloaf and I opted to rest til Sunday for my LSR. Sunday I ended up babysitting, it was p*ssing rain and I'd a headache into the bargain so a run wasn't an option in the end. Still, I'll probably benefit from 2 back to back rest days.

This evening I felt fresh as I headed out into a fine evening. Did a road and trail combination with had 2 testing hills in there. The 1st 6k were relatively flat and the pace was held at marathon pace fairly comfortably. After that the hills started so it was a case of not letting the pace go completely a-ways. Once at the top of the hill you could let go and stride out with gravity. A great feeling. The last section of trail through the woods it was very dark so had to try to mind my footing as much as possible when you can't see.

15.43k, 265m climb, 4:14 pace pace
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/117301135

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

going well there, SJ. Gotta be getting towards a good place, as DCM comes into view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

SJ solid and consistant form of late. Don't worry about the 2 days rest. Any races ( I mean road :) ) planned in next two weeks?

• Advertisement

Abhainn wrote: »
    SJ solid and consistant form of late. Don't worry about the 2 days rest. Any races ( I mean road :) ) planned in next two weeks?

Cheers. Doing the 3/4 marathon in Athlone as a training exercise in pacing / replacement for a solo LSR. No other races in the offing though a sneaky 10k somewhere might be just the ticket at the moment as I seem to have found a bit of speed endurance from a consistent run of training.

Legs were heavy heading out this evening up the trails. I set my sights low then on a nice recovery session. Slow and steady to the top of the hill. Turning around the pace picked up without much effort. Before I knew it I had strung together 6 back to back sub 4 min ks. Gravity is a great thing. Some of which was on greasy trail with my well worn road runners. So a new training run is invented. The recovery to tempo run.

11.12k, 301m climb, 4:40 pace
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/117493939

Really warm today but this evening when I set out to run the wind was blustery as hell. Ran a loop I've done a lot recently and the pace was low and fairly comfortable early on. Probably favourable breeze behind me early on. At the 5k mark and net downhill to here I was less than 4:10 pace avg with a trail hilly section to come. Didn't lose too much time on this 30s maybe, but as I turned towards Aughrim and home the headwind hit me. Still, managed to keep the pace ticking over until the 2nd hill just before home. Got to the top of that hill under marathon pace and a comfortable last k through the forest trail to finish in Annacurra village. A nice run. More evidence I hope that I'm running at a faster tempo than previous training regimes. Signs are good but I can't get ahead of myself.

10.82k, 104m climb, 4:11 pace
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/117736228

What's the DCM target, SJ ? You seem to be building up a decent head of steam...

brownian wrote: »
    What's the DCM target, SJ ? You seem to be building up a decent head of steam...

Cheers. I've a best of 3:01 so I hope and pray for a sub 3 :) This is the best sustained set of training I've done and I'm also at my best racing weight, c 68kg, so fingers crossed and all that.

After recent shock events overseas, I'm slow to tell anyone that it ought to be a cruise. But you seem to be well in the right zone - I'd have guessed you were thinking 2:55 or less, looking at the solid circa-4-minutes ks you're hitting on rougher ground. Yesterday's 4:11 pace would get you in handy enough, around 2:57...without all those hills and mud.

• Advertisement

Had no energy to run yesterday having gotten stuck in work.

This evening, 5 loops of the trail a stones throw from the house. Steady paced for the most part with a pick up in the final k.

11.05k, 109m climb, 4:14 pace
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/118136119

Rested yesterday. An easy decision with the rain teeming down and with the race today.

Today, ran the 3/4 marathon with Pronator who was the pacer for those with a target of sub 3. The weather omens were good. Cool and cloudy before we started with no wind. Pretty much perfect conditions. Registration was very efficiently done and we lined up at the startline c. 11am along a narrow backroad. The backroads were pretty much what this route was about. Nicely countryside-ish, twisty and turny roads with some undulating hills, but overall pretty nice and well runnable.

Our plan was to run 7:30 mile pace. After a few miles we had a min in the bag, running comfortably. The hill after 5 or so miles didn't really present a challenge so our pace remained up. We'd a decent bunch of runners but they split as some were determined to run faster than our pace. So we had a core group of about 6 most of the way. Our other 3 hr pacer went ahead with the split group and finished 5 mins clear of us at the end. Not quite the spirit of pacing but there you go.

The pace was steady and the time flew. As the route was measured in both kilometres and miles a distance sign was almost always to hand.

Our group was reduced to 4 by the time we made the hill near the end. That hill wasn't too much of a challenge either and we ended up crossing the line about 2 mins to the good.

Nice running RAL3 who ran with us and sprinted clear towards the end for a good time.

Pronator's garmin is broke so this is the garmin track for my watch that he wore. I ran alongside with a conventional watch but our splits throughout at 10k, half marathon and the finish were the same give or take 1 second.

A physio rub down after was just the job. Couldn't hang around so hightailed it back to home. Would highly recommend this. Beats the hell out of doing a solo LSR thats for sure.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/118611126
    31.73k, 4:30 pace, 197m climb

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Great running today SJ - You talked your way round :D and did not get out of second gear. A good sign for Dublin.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Nice one SJ. How did it feel? Nice and comfortable? Looks like you're in very solid form.

Nice one SJ. How did it feel? Nice and comfortable? Looks like you're in very solid form.

Strangely comfortable, but the conditions were unreally good. The elevation chart for the race was in feet so hills measured in feet don't compare to Wicklow hills in metres :) A day like today for Dublin would work very nicely.

Remember this as a possible event for next year. Its a good 'un.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

Very solid running yesterday SJ, you looked extremely comfortable and you were obviously running well within yourself (it was unsettling how it easy it was for you to chat away!) - bodes really well for your sub 3 DCM attempt.

When I eventually caught up with ye the company made it very easy to get through the last few miles - thanks again and best of luck with the rest of your training.

Good going, SJ. Sub-3 might be a little soft for you...:)

Thanks guys. Soft or not brownian a 2:59:59 is the target. Anything else is a bonus.

The legs knew today they'd c. 20 miles done yesterday. The quads and calves were a bit sore. So not feeling comfortable today RAL3 :) Still, got out at lunchtime for a loop around Cabinteely along with Pronator. Oddly warm and windy and the pace was decent enough given the soreness.
    9.2k, 4:32 pace

This evening, the calf muscles were sore and I was keen to dink them in cold water for a while. Snuck in a 5.1k recovery run around the woods before a 10 min soak in the outside water barrel. Felt great.
    5.1k, 4:54 pace

.... a 10 min soak in the outside water barrel. Felt great.

Hmmm. In my part of Wickla they say that they ate their young out Annacurra way....I'm starting to believe it :)

Initial plan to do some 400s in Kilgobbet were dashed by still sore calf muscles from Sunday. So settled for a road run instead. No real pace plan in mind so it was a case of see what happens. Out into the breezy lunchtime, heading towards Cabinteely then right up along the N11 to whites cross. Pace was steady but not fast up to here. Turning right down towards the rock road gravity played its part and at the end of the road an avg marathon pace run beckoned. Turned right, then left up past Stradbrook and kept the pace going to the end with a bit in the bag too.

9.58k, 4:12 pace, 83m gain
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/119140707

• Advertisement

Sore calf or not, that's solid PMP running. Jammy 8-]

Peeing down rain this evening so turned on the dreadmill for the 1st time in about a year. Did 10k starting at 12.5kph and progressing speed by 0.5 per k done. Last 3k were at 16kph. The dreadmill was protesting a bit at this, its top speed. So was I a bit. Finished in 41:28. 4:09 pace avg. Not in the least enjoyable but a necessary evil the odd time.

I'll have to introduce you to the recovery run. Its a run you should try out, it might be a bit alien to you at the moment but its worth a try:D

Your in great shape, that coach of yours deserves a lot of credit;)
    Peeing down rain this evening so turned on the dreadmill for the 1st time in about a year. Did 10k starting at 12.5kph and progressing speed by 0.5 per k done. Last 3k were at 16kph. The dreadmill was protesting a bit at this, its top speed. So was I a bit. Finished in 41:28. 4:09 pace avg. Not in the least enjoyable but a necessary evil the odd time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Great training so far SJ, learn from past mistakes and follow a structured plan for the next 4 weeks and reap what you've sown.

Took it relatively easy this evening. An easy choice as the wind was blowing something brutal. Avg 4:23 up to 5.5k distance. The 2nd half the pace stretched out a bit with 2 small hills in there and the worst of the head wind. Was good to be back into the forest trail for some relative shelter.

11.09, 4:32 pace, 128m climb
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/119539111

Incidentally, had to fix the treadmill earlier. A bit of a bang near the end of my run last night ended up being a key screw between the running belt and the uproad unit shearing off. Clearly they don't make these things to take punishment. Found a similar nut and screw in my toolbox and fixed it up for the next outing whenever the weather is terrible enough to warrant it.

Rested yesterday with a view to switching my LSR from Sunday to Saturday. Did 10 mins or so of various exercises to keep that ticking off.

An early start to watch the rugby. Never really got going today did we. As the final whistle went I was ready to head out the door. At the last minute I decided to do another LSR by forest loops, similar to what I did 2 weeks back. This time I brought a water bottle and gel with me. I could stash the bottle and drink from it on the odd lap. It was overcast and the grey conditions never let up. It was cool and a haze of drizzle was pretty constant. I took the loops handy and tried to run within myself. Counting them down 1 by 1. Did 15 in all, same as 2 weeks back. Felt good for the most part. In the closing 1/3 I was getting tired, probably more to do with the early start today than anything else. An early start LSR though is probably good practice for Dublin. Picked it up on the last 1 or 2 loops. Happy enough. 1 more LSR to go. Now its couch time.

32k, 4:44 pace, 312m climb
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/119823953

Now you do recall our agreement, you can't finish in front of me:D Great run, one more to go, then it's cotton wool time.
    Rested yesterday with a view to switching my LSR from Sunday to Saturday. Did 10 mins or so of various exercises to keep that ticking off.

An early start to watch the rugby. Never really got going today did we. As the final whistle went I was ready to head out the door. At the last minute I decided to do another LSR by forest loops, similar to what I did 2 weeks back. This time I brought a water bottle and gel with me. I could stash the bottle and drink from it on the odd lap. It was overcast and the grey conditions never let up. It was cool and a haze of drizzle was pretty constant. I took the loops handy and tried to run within myself. Counting them down 1 by 1. Did 15 in all, same as 2 weeks back. Felt good for the most part. In the closing 1/3 I was getting tired, probably more to do with the early start today than anything else. An early start LSR though is probably good practice for Dublin. Picked it up on the last 1 or 2 loops. Happy enough. 1 more LSR to go. Now its couch time.

32k, 4:44 pace, 312m climb
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/119823953

Tired this morning. But this run was just the ticket. Clear the head and get the legs moving after yesterday's LSR. Settled on a trail run to the top of the local hill. Wind was quite blustery and wasn't favourable for much of the run. Got into a steady groove and kept it going to the top of the hill. A bit of drizzle was actually welcome. Turning at the top to descend I didn't push the pace on tired legs. Took it handy to the end.

A good training week. 91k total. One much long week to go then taper time.

14.04k, 4:49 pace, 321m climb.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/120085548

3 weeks to go. Took it relatively easy on this one. I'm a lucky lucky man. Not only do I have a forest with nice trails beside my house, but in recent weeks work is being done to develop extra trails. The guys were working at the weekend and I took a sneak pick at their travails on my run this evening, and it was pretty damn good. A new circuit is opening up for me. Some is your regular fire-road trail, but other parts are rougher single-track, twisting and turning around tree stumps. I did 3 and a half loops of the intended trail. Underfoot conditions isn't great yet as it isn't finished but I can see that it will be brill when it is done. You could have a nice race here too of a few laps perhaps. Legs feel surprisingly okay after the weekend.

9.5k, 190m climb, 4:50 pace
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/120488765#

• Advertisement

Yesterday I was pressed for time so opted not to run and just did some exercises while the match was on.

Felt well rested today. Got out this evening in fading light and did a similar trail run to Monday. Each of the loops was nearly 2.5k, so did 4. Avg pace crept up each time. The work on each loop was the 50 to 60m climb over a relative short distance. After that the loops felt fairly comfortable. Really love the twisted and turny single tracks through the trees. Slight risk of slipping or going over on the ankle, but nothing bad happened. Pushed it on the final run in. Happy enough. Runs like this are why you want to run.

9.79k, 4:30 pace, 217m climb
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/121044923

Advertisement