Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby steps

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Handy enough run around Cabinteely at lunch with Pronator. Beautiful day.

8.75k, 4:28 pace
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/121279311

Was practically dark finishing this run before 7. Not good. So road runs after work are less practical unless I bring along a headtorch.

Did a basic out and back in quite blustery conditions. Picked up the pace coming back and saw the avg drop towards MP and eventually dip just below it as I pushed the last k. Glad its Friday and the last LSR will be over with this weekend.

9.44k, 4:13 pace, 64m climb
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/121514235

Yesterday's short run didn't happen. Todays LSR won't happen. Can't run and I hope its a temporary blip. Yesterday I was helping out with others from the community trail making in the local woods. Last weekend I didn't help and seen as I am a net beneficiary of the efforts I felt I needed to get involved this weekend. Somewhere in the day between raking and shovelling stones I managed to tweak my lower back. I've experienced this back pain before and its typically a 2 to 3 day thing before its back to normal. On the plus side its an early enforced taper. On the negative side one would want to close off their training with that last LSR. Theres always the doubt in the head.. one more long run. Anyways, all I can do today is rest up, take the anti-inflammatories, hot bathes and generally wrap myself in cotton wool with a view to getting back into running for a proper taper mode during the week. This weekend is gone and I can't bring it back, so move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sorry to hear that Mick. In your case, it's probably no harm for you to miss out on that last LSR, as it'll prevent you from doing something you shouldn't be anyway! Hope the recovery goes well. Awful timing. Keep the chin up.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Keep a cool head now. One more LSR would have made very little difference in any case. DON'T try come back too early, let the body heal and when it feels right, then do something very easy.

The hard work is all done now.

• Advertisement

Didn't run Saturday, Sunday or today. But improving each day. Using a heat patch on the lower back this afternoon. Seems to be doing the trick. Touch wood tomorrow I'll be back running even just easy. In effect this means I'm doing a 3 week taper to d-day instead of my normal 2. Just means I have the taper madness earlier than usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Mind yourself SJ. Don't rush it - you don't want to be watching the run on the telly. Only go for it when you feel 90% at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Fingers crossed there'll be a negligible effect on your race day performance.

It might even be a blessing in disguise.

After 3 days of running inactivity and general hobbling around I was feeling more human today. The heat patch yesterday did a good job. I'm not 100% but nearly there. Did a short run to test the body this evening. If the back was acting up I'd stop. In the end it went pretty well. 3 loops of trail at a comfortable pace. Feel relatively okay after.
    7.63k, 4:44 pace, 165m climb
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/122654900

Just thinking about my run there.. felt awesome to be running around a route I have helped in a small way to construct. Very few of us runners will ever have that privilege. A great feeling. Our little village trail when complete will be around 2.3k in distance. It will be great for circuits. A 3 or 4 lap race even.

• Advertisement

A run of 2 halfs with Pronator. Wind assisted early on and you felt like you were flying. The reason became obvious later as we turned up the N11 to face the full force of the gale that was blowing. Happy enough to get the run for the day done early and have the evening free.

9.19k, 4:26 pace.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/122869941

Felt much better this evening and started fast enough and kept the pace going for repeated loops of a new short loop of beautiful trail of c. 900m. Each loop had a bit of climb and bit of floating descent. Some nice splits earlier on and it got harder later to maintain but happy enough to be over the back issue.

10.86k, 4:06 pace, 129m climb
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/123050356

Took it easy on the trails today. Nothing too hectic. Mainly short and easy runs til marathon day.

10.04k, 184m climb, 4:40pace
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/123203760

Handy enough run enlivened by encounter with unleashed dog (see main thread). Wind was very strong and that headwind made it difficult. Pushed it in the closing stages and was happy to tick off some fastest splits despite that.

11.56k, 124m climb, 4:29 pace
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/123203760

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

I must have missed you by half an hour. I also ran into a dog owner, meeting her three times. Each time we smiled at each other, exchanged pleasantries: result was no hassle with the dogs. See the difference between the fat jogger and the sub3-focused athlete? You need to smile more, ya miserable git;):D

Swam Ran to Ironbridge and back in what is a traditional pre-marathon routine for me the week before the big day. The rain was bucketing down but there wasn't much wind to speak of so the conditions were actually grand once you got used to the soaking. Took it easy in the first half which has a few hills in there. Avg page for 1st 10k was 4:49 pace. Nearing Ironbridge the route back was mainly road and mainly flat or slightly net downhill. Consciously picked the pace up. Was fairly comfortable until the closing stages when I started to feel the effort. A last steep short uphill and very soft wet trail run finish slowed me down but the avg pace for this 11k section was 4:05 so pretty happy with that, particularly give the conditions.

70k this week. Much reduced week coming up.
    Weight down to 65kgs. I'm probably as fit and as light as I've ever been so in good nick for next week, touch wood.

21.06k, 227m climb, 4:26 pace
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/123653773

Got home too late to run outdoors and it was still pouring down rain so it was either a rest or a treadmill run on the cards. Felt like stretching the legs so opted for a comfortable treadmill run with sounds blasting out from the old hifi in the background. 10k, 4:48 pace. Counting down the days. Anyone know a good weather dance for next Monday as opposed to a rain dance?

No rain and we even got some sunshine down these parts today. Comfortable pace all the way. Ventured onto latest section of newly built trail near me on the way back and its looking good and held up well after the rain.

11.34k, 139m climb, 4:31 pace
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/124206264

Nice and easy around the trails this evening as the light faded away. Very muddy after the rains.
    7.31k, 156m climb, 4:39 pace

Taper continues. Early morning run around Cabinteely and Foxrock. Struggled to get going at the start. Legs tight. Got into my stride approaching half way. Pretty much nothing memorable about this. Thats road running sometimes.

7.94k, 4:31 pace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Good luck Monday, looks like you are in great shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Getting my good lucks out of the way early:). You have done the training, plenty of MP and faster miles in the legs so time to go and execute the perfect race. Gl Mick.

Thanks guys. Last minute nerves here. 28th marathon (or thereabouts.. starting to lose count) but the days beforehand are always full of ifs and buts.

Inconsequential little 4.6k run around the forest at 4:32 pace. Legs felt strangely leaden. Hot bath soak should help. Forecast for Monday isn't hectic I believe. Hope the wind abates, rain isn't a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

Best of luck SJ, I don't think I'll be catching up to you this time with the shape you're in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Mick the very best of luck mate

Didn't run yesterday or today. A 41k week was just what the doctor ordered taper wise. Feeling pre-race nerves moreso that usual and tonight will probably bring a usual fitful pre-race sleep. Still, it'll all be forgotten as we line up at the start line near Merrion Sq tomorrow morning. In 2004 I did my first marathon. Tomorrow will be my 8th Dublin and I'm in the best shape I've ever been, despite the age (43). Age doesn't need to be a barrier. Tomorrow I'll give it my best. The plan for the race could change depending on the weather. The 3 hr pacing group might looking very enticing if the weather is dicey. If the weather is shocking I'll be have to be realistic in the circumstances. Lets see what the day brings. Best to luck to all taking part and thanks for the best wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Best of luck tomorrow SJ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Best of luck SJ. Shelter shelter and shelter some more :)

Just emerging from a really dark place which is where I go when the failure demons strike. Despite the tsunami of good wishes and pretty ideal prep today wasn't my day. All was fine and dandy in the first 2/3s of the race as I either ran with the pacers or was marginally ahead. Took my 2nd gel at that point and immediately my tummy felt not right. Needed a loo stop. By which stage the pacers were long gone and lactate had started to take hold. At which stage it was a case of plan B which was to just finish the race. However, it was like someone had hit the off switch. I was struggling. The only good thing about that is I did finish. I experienced some cramps and real demotivational problems as once my target time was gone I was probably the last one out there that just wanted to finish. Just wanted to not be there at that stage and the possibility of a DNF loomed large and all that stopped me doing so was I'd never done so before. My finish time is very poor and I'm really annoyed at how the day turned out but such is life sometimes. I've experienced a lot of cramp since the race so my electrolytes are out of whack somehow. Goes to show you can have the best laid plans and prep and there is no magic formula to carry it off. Thanks for all the pre-race support and those who shouted support during the race. Now, wheres that bottle of wine.

Delighted :D to see Earlyevening who ran in and around me for the first 2/3s of the race get his sub 3. Its great to hear positive news and it shows what is possible. Delighted too to see other good results from Boardsies particularly my pal Pronator. 2.40.ish with a headcold. I'd venture that barrier will go when you are 100% healthy. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Hard luck Mick, a shame to not get a decent return on your training efforts. That 18 mile mark is a killer stage of the race.
    Now, wheres that bottle of wine.

Welcome back to the real world.

Advertisement