Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby steps

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

4 laps of neighbouring trail.
    9.66k, 203m climb, 4:39 pace

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/129452116

Argh, didn't get to run today though I so much wanted to. Instead, I ran rings around the kitchen preparing for friends arriving for dinner this evening.

My morning was based on the trail however. I spent a few hours hunkered down hammering u shaped nails into a new boardwalk in our woods. The nails are designed to give grip to otherwise slippy wood. Many thousands of nails hammered into wood will give repetitive strain. Boardwalk coming on great and it'll be fantastic when its finished.

Serious challenge this evening with runners coming to dinner. No distance and no climb to speak of. Luckily yours truly can read a recipe and translate it into something half tasty so the diners came away happy (at least they said so on front of me - whatever about the 'come dine with me scores' on the way home) :D

Looking forward to the away leg and to the run tomorrow morning when I can run off some of these calories. :)

A clear the head run if ever there was one. A few laps of the forest was in order. The 1st one was slow, the 2nd one better, the 3rd one I really felt my age but I eked out a 4th one and felt a lot better for it. Great morning out there.

9.8k, 4:43 pace, 210m climb.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/129765442#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Serious challenge this evening with runners coming to dinner. No distance and no climb to speak of. Luckily yours truly can read a recipe and translate it into something half tasty so the diners came away happy (at least they said so on front of me - whatever about the 'come dine with me scores' on the way home) :D

Great evening. Your starter in particular was delicious, and a wonderful contrast of textures and flavours. I give the overall score of 9. It would have been a perfect 10 but you ran this morning, something I'm not capable of just yet:D

Not much going on around these parts. Heres what I got up to this week:-
    Mon: 9.5k, 4:31 pace. Pottery Rd, Monkstown, Dun Laoire.
    Tue: 9.15k, 4:44 pace. Torchlight trail run in Annacurra forest.
    Wed: 9.2k, 4:20 pace. Pottery Rd, Rochestown Ave, Cherrywood, N11.
    Thu: -
    Fri: 9.14k, 4:53 pace. Torchlight trail run, Annacurra.
    Sat: -
    Sun: 14.3k, 4:45 pace. 230m climb. Annacurra forest loops.

& 4 (I think) 10 min strength exercise stints.

51k total for the week. Calf still giving me gip so I better watch that. Enjoying the running for running sake with no targets on the horizon at the moment. Particularly like the evening runs. Difficult to get out the door on the dark nights but once you do theres a great sense of well-being for having done it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭PositiveNegativ

How about a few 5.XX and 3.XX days?

Variety and all that.

@pn. Would love to. Short days, so-so weather, and laziness are putting paid to that goal so far, so I need to toughen up and get the 3.xx sessions in in particular.

Mon: 9.22k, 4:43 pace, 114m climb, Trail loops by torchlight
    Tue: 9k, 4:58 pace, 285m climb, Road torchlight hill reps
    Wed: -
    Thu: 9.67k, 4:49 pace, 193m climb, Trail loops early evening
    Fri: -
    Sat: 11.25k, 5:13 pace, 408m climb, Hill run
    Sun: 16k, 5:21 pace, 570m climb, Same as yesterday with more hills with lots of rain. Felt good.
    & a couple of strength exercises in there too.

55k for the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

That's a good week SJ. I agree with PosNeg in the "unasked for advice" department; its great to see you mixing up the paces a little.

Roll on the WL!

That's a good week SJ. I agree with PosNeg in the "unasked for advice" department; its great to see you mixing up the paces a little.

Roll on the WL!

Cheers. Its not the weather for fast runs and I'm not in the form for it but I'm enjoying getting back into the hills and I could have done a bit more today too. I spun past our new Annacurra trail on the way back home today and its pretty much finished and looking good. It makes for pretty good torch lit running as the surface underfoot is pretty reliable.

• Advertisement

Mon: 9.5k, 184m climb, 5:21 pace Torchlight trail running
    Tues: -
    Weds: 8.84k, 261m climb, 4:55 pace, Moonlit hilly road reps
    Thurs: 8.25k, 4:07 pace, Treadmill running.
    Fri: 12k, 393m climb, 5:27 pace, Moonlit trail running.
    Sat: 7.1k, 110m climb, 4:48 pace, Easy run to and from shops
    Sun: Carnew Santa Dash “5k”, actual distance 7.2k, 139m climb, 4:06 pace

53k for the week over 6 running days.
    A few strength exercise sessions thrown in.

The first I heard of this race was when donothoponpop triumphed here last year. It was been a secret target of mine since then. I've been counting down the days to this day as my 2011 running has all led to this ;)

Picked up dp early doors on way to Carnew in what was pretty good weather for December. It was fairly mild and the rain held off, thankfully. Running in a wet santa suit wouldn’t have been much fun :)

On registration we were given our santa suit outfits. A one-size fits all trousers, jacket, hat and beard combination. Trying to tie the 60 inch waist santa trousers around my 30 inch waist was interesting. A spare lace I had did the trick. With dp’s knowledge from last year we benefitted from some well appointed safety pins to tie down the otherwise flappy outfit. The shortest warm up run ever followed to the honking horns of Carnew traffic who must have gotten a laugh from the sight.

At the appointed time myself and dp took our place outside the pint depot (real name) pub in Carnew. No sign of anyone. 20 mins or so later the other entrants arrived out of the pub to form a start line of sorts.

On ‘go’ the young kids in the line up took off sprinting down the street. The first k or so is downhill before swinging up towards the main drag which makes up most of the race. I didn’t think I was fast in the 1st k, but I still managed to take the lead from the young children and the lead 'van' before the main climb. Way to go Mick. I didn’t know the route so I was hoping for some signs along the way to guide me. Paced myself reasonably well on the climb and picked it up whenever the gradient eased up. Hadn’t a clue where I was in the context of the race as I didn’t look behind me at all until the closing stages. At a main junction on the hill the van had just about over-taken me again and stopped to show me the way. The next junction there was no signs, but I guessed it must be downhill as we’d already ran more than 4k of the expected 5k (though dp had reckoned 7 would be nearer the distance by the time we finished). The downhill was pretty good. Straight downhill on a decent road with the town in view below. Happy enough with the downhill splits for a santa claus suit run, as its not exactly something you'd practice :). The sting in the tail came at the end of the hill when a short steep hill before the main street beckoned.

Paced the last uphill okay and then onto the home straight on the main street to the pint depot. Crossed the finish line under the gallery of balloons, a happy santa.

Hung around in the pub afterwards with dp and his neighbour who had finished 3rd and 2nd respectively. The 2nd was 1st lady and is surely in contention for a Boards relay place as she seems quite the runner on the hills ;-)

Funds from the race today were shared between Console who are a local suicide prevention charity and carnew afc soccer club. For €15 we got a santa suit which will come in use over future xmas's with the kiddies. We got a medal crossing the line and I got the Carnew santa dash trophy. No-one can ever take that away from me! Okay, if they are bigger than me they might... A great value race and a good social vibe about it.

A slow time for a 7.2k run, but in my defense it was in a santa suit and it was kinda hilly. Training starts in 2012 for the title defence. Can we get more local boardsies out? ;)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/133961064
    7.2k, 139m climb, 4:06 pace, santa suit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Sun: Carnew Santa Dash “5k”, actual distance 7.2k

Close enough then:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Some lively k's in there even in your 60in size Santa suite:D
    Great victory SJ :)

I've been ticking over nicely over the Christmas keeping the calories in and out nicely balanced. No particular run of any great significance up until today. Left the house with an objective of running to Drumgoff via as much trail and as little road as practically possible, and with a view of keeping the distance c. 25k. Left just before 2 so I couldn't hang around or I'd be hitting daylight problems later if I did. Ran an unavoidable backroads bit of c. 6k before entering forest trails under Rosahane. A nice traily bit followed before I crossed the road and entered more very nice and little travelled trail which brought me past Coolgarrow mountain. The pace was easy enough. The hard bit started next. The climb to Croaghanmoira was steady and slow and heading up towards windy foggy weather. Lots of water streaming down the trail. Touching the trig point I followed the widest trail down towards the road adjacent to Slieve Mann. The 'as the crow flies' path was too water logged so I diverted left for better footing. A short roady section followed before I was onto the Wicklow way which I'd follow to Drumgoff. It was getting pretty dim in the woods at this stage and I was surprised by the climbs encountered as intuitively you'd expect mainly downhill. Legs were getting tired and the very soft ground in sections didn't help. Was glad to see the barrier onto the road and the last road bit to Drumgoff. Met up with Pablo T and a pal who had ran from Marley there today (and they'll do the reverse tomorrow)! A nice bit of grub and couple of drinks followed before the OH collected me. Very mild today. Hard to believe its late December!
    24.5k, 779m climb. Pace: handy
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/136850243

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nice trot - when are we doing the annual 'newly improved' Annacurragh trail follow by pints in the Salty?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Nice trot - when are we doing the annual 'newly improved' Annacurragh trail follow by pints in the Salty?

How are you fixed on Thurs mid afternoon? Pub hours are part-time ish but over Christmas I hope it'll be open by the time we've done a few loops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

How are you fixed on Thurs mid afternoon? Pub hours are part-time ish but over Christmas I hope it'll be open by the time we've done a few loops.

Already have a commitment to run Avondale again at 9am Thurs - but flexible any other day up to the 4th.

Prompted by dp I'll put electronic pen to paper on a new year's log. My training log updates will be mainly of the weekly variety unless there is a particular race or something that I feel the need to give voice to.

After injury impacted 2011 I am glad to be back to injury free running. I've been running most days through Christmas and the new year and all is well on that front.

I'm running for enjoyment at the moment. That said, I'm going to target the Debra Ireland Wicklow Mountains half marathon on 11th March as a race to focus on. I'm following my own schedule which spans the 10 weeks from the start of Jan. Linky: http://www.debraireland.org/

I've been asked to help out with the organisation of this half marathon. After meeting some of the Debra team and seeing the work they do I am only too happy to do so. I'd urge readers of this log to do this race or sponsor someone who is doing it. Funding is desperately needed for their research.

Anyways, onto the actual running stuff. Here's what the first week looked like. A challenging week both weather-wise and short winter days wise.
    • Mon 13.5k hill run, moderate effort
    • Tue 10k recovery paced run on the treadmill. Too windy to do anything outdoors.
    • Wed 30 mins on turbo trainer, followed by another 5k on the treadie, pace easy.
    • Thu 10k. An out and back torchlight road run. Moderate pace. 4.31
    • Fri 8k torchlight road run inc. a no. of steady hill reps.
    • Sat 14.5k road loop, 4:21 pace
    • Sun 20.7k road and hill run. Deliberately slow. 5:28 Climb was tough > 500m.

Happy with week 1. 82k for week. Included a couple of strengh sessions. I average 10 mins of exercises. They are handy as they can literally be done on the mat on front of the fireplace while the telly is on. I hope I'll feel the benefit for doing them.

At the weekends I'll need to replicate race conditions which will be 21k of a hilly route. Distance wise and terrain wise its a good fit for me. I'm at home in the hills and whether I like it or not thats where most of my training happens.

Happy running guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Prompted by dp I'll put electronic pen to paper on a new year's log. My training log updates will be mainly of the weekly variety unless there is a particular race or something that I feel the need to give voice to.

After injury impacted 2011 I am glad to be back to injury free running. I've been running most days through Christmas and the new year and all is well on that front.

I'm running for enjoyment at the moment. That said, I'm going to target the Debra Ireland Wicklow Mountains half marathon on 11th March as a race to focus on. I'm following my own schedule which spans the 10 weeks from the start of Jan. Linky: http://www.debraireland.org/

I've been asked to help out with the organisation of this half marathon. After meeting some of the Debra team and seeing the work they do I am only too happy to do so. I'd urge readers of this log to do this race or sponsor someone who is doing it. Funding is desperately needed for their research.

Anyways, onto the actual running stuff. Here's what the first week looked like. A challenging week both weather-wise and short winter days wise.
    • Mon 13.5k hill run, moderate effort
    • Tue 10k recovery paced run on the treadmill. Too windy to do anything outdoors.
    • Wed 30 mins on turbo trainer, followed by another 5k on the treadie, pace easy.
    • Thu 10k. An out and back torchlight road run. Moderate pace. 4.31
    • Fri 8k torchlight road run inc. a no. of steady hill reps.
    • Sat 14.5k road loop, 4:21 pace
    • Sun 20.7k road and hill run. Deliberately slow. 5:28 Climb was tough > 500m.

Happy with week 1. 82k for week. Included a couple of strengh sessions. I average 10 mins of exercises. They are handy as they can literally be done on the mat on front of the fireplace while the telly is on. I hope I'll feel the benefit for doing them.

At the weekends I'll need to replicate race conditions which will be 21k of a hilly route. Distance wise and terrain wise its a good fit for me. I'm at home in the hills and whether I like it or not thats where most of my training happens.

Happy running guys.

Good to see the log back, will follow with interest. Looks like a great course.
    Ive always wanted to try a brick sessions. I suppose it teaches the legs to pick up the speed a little again after using the hill running muscles?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't call them brick sessions yet - they are too short for that. I couldn't face more than 5k on the treadie again so I divided the time between it and the turbo (which is out in the garden shed, so thats a fairly remote experience :))

• Mon: 8.2k. Easy run around Deansgrange. 4:47 pace
    • Tue: 9.75k. warm up; 8 x 400m with 1 min recovery; warm down. Unlit track and gale made it difficult. Probably only ran at 90%.
    • Wed: 11.5k Torchlit road run. 4:47 pace.
    • Thu: 10k. warm up; 8 short hard uphills with full recovery / jog back. Warm down
    • Fri 8k Easy Treadmill run.
    • Sat: 12.8k Easy trail run with donothoponpop. 5:15 pace
    • Sun: 22.2k run over road, trail and hill. 427m climb. 5:04 pace. Cushbawn hill Aughrim. Really I must run here more. Its like an old lost friend this hill. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/141826133
    A decent week’s running considering the time of year. Particularly happy with the run today. Wasn't zonked at end of it unlike last week.

Wtd: 82k
    Ytd: 177k

• Mon: 10k torchlit run. 5:17 pace
    • Tue: 10k torchlit road run with hills. 4:27 pace
    • Weds: 10k hill run. 5:27 pace
    • Thurs: rest. Left ankle niggling me.
    • Fri 8k Treadmill run. Alternating slow and fast pace for 500m a time, and increasing pace throughout. 4:19 pace overall avg.
    • Sat: Road and trail loop. 13k. 5:04 pace. Felt rubbish.
    • Sun: 17k out and out hill run. Squeezed this in on Sunday late afternoon, http://connect.garmin.com/activity/143781559 Wasn’t thinking about pace, more about time on my feet and getting the hills in. Took a few other trail options and climbed reasonably throughout. Steady and consistent at least. Finished run squinting through the near dark to see where I was going. Body and spirit feeling all the better for it.

Squeezed in some strength training minutes and 2 short Turbo sessions this week too. I could be imagining it but I'm feeling that this is helping the climbing legs.

Happy to have dumped the running streak thing. I need to be sensible and take rest days as and when appropriate. Happy enough with running this week as it was a busy week in work.

Wtd: 68k
    Ytd: 245k

Mon: 8k, treadmill run, 5 min k pace
    Tue: 8.8k, torchlit road run, inc. 8 x 400s.
    Wed: 10k, treadmill run, 4:48 pace
    Thu: 10.7k, torchlit road and trail run, 175m climb, 5 min k pace
    Fri: 9.3k run on grass in Shangannagh park. 4:35 pace
    Sat: 14.25k, 287m climb, 4:51 pace. Cabinteely, Lead Mines, & section of Dublin Mountain way loop.
    Sun: 17.65k, 468m climb, 5:11 pace. Hill run in the rain. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/145557786 Really enjoyed this. Ran steady throughout.

Ticking over nicely despite the weather, short evenings and such. Registered for Dingle marathon on 1st September.

wtd: 79k
    ytd: 323k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sounds like a nice run on Saturday. If you head up nearby Mine Hill Road, you'll find it a lot less sloppy and it'll take you to the Smelting Tower too. There's a path up from the top of Quarry Road too (the hill on Quarry Road is fun!) but it too could be quite sloppy. Or just give me a shout, and I'll give you the grand tour. :)

• Mon: Donated platelets so rested today as a precaution.
    • Tue: Torchlit road loop. 9k. 168m climb. 4:32 pace
    • Wed: 8k fartlek treadmill run. 4:34 avg pace. 20 mins on Turbo trainer.
    • Thu: 9k treadmill run. Escalating pace through. 4:11 pace avg.
    • Fri: 11.4k Easy paced torchlit road and trail run. 135m climb. 4:47 pace.
    • Sat: 14k. Loops of forest trail. 305m climb. 4:47 pace
    • Sun. 10k bike, 9k hill run, 10k bike. Run had 396m climb. 6:46 pace. Pace very easy. Cycles easy paced too.
    6 days running. 60k. Pretty good week, with turbo and bike sessions in there too. No niggles to speak of. 5 weeks out from half marathon.

• Mon: 10k, torchlit road and trail run, 154m climb, moderate effort, 4:45 pace
    • Tue: 10k, torchlit road run, 167m climb ,moderate effort, 4:43 pace
    • Wed: 10k treadmill, easy effort, 4:48 pace
    • Thu: 9k, treadmill, hard effort 4:04 pace
    • Fri: 8k, treadmill, easy effort, 4:38 pace
    • Sat: 16.4k, road, trail and grass, moderate effort, 154m climb, 4:35 pace
    • Sun: 5.5k, trail, very easy effort. 105m climb, 5:05 pace. Helping at IMRA race so had to curtail running today.

69k for week. Reasonable week but the novelty of running with torchlight is wearing off. Need more light in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

the novelty of running with torchlight is wearing off. Need more light in the evenings.

Vary the route you run with a head lamp - whip out a map and find a track you have never run up (there is always at least one) and do it at night.
    You might a) break your neck or b) find a new awesome route! :D

Best running week in a while...
    • Mon: 10.5k, 4:52 pace, 176m climb. Torchlit mainly road run.
    • Tue: 8.47k, Hill reps x 6. 329m climb. 4:54 pace. Torchlit reps. Steady up, fast down. No rest stops.
    • Wed: 10.49k, 4:55 pace, 158m climb. Torchlit road and trail run.
    • Thu: 10k Treadmill run, 3:57 pace.
    • Fri: 15k, 4:36 pace. 192m climb. Mixed road and trail run.
    • Sat: 16.1k, 4:58 pace, 364m climb. 4 Trail loops of c. 4k each with lots of undulating hills.
    • Sun: 22.19k, 4:49 pace,437m climb. LSR with road, trail and hills. This run had everything. Stopped for half a min to admire the views. Loved it. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/150893428
    92k for the week over 7 running days. A very good week for me training wise.

• Advertisement

Reckoned on a step back week of sorts after last week.
    • Mon: Easy treadmill run, 8k 5 min/k pace
    • Tue: Rest day to make & eat pancakes
    • Wed: 9.8k torchlit road and trail run. 4:43 pace, 148m climb
    • Thu: 10k torchlit road and trail run. 4:31 pace, 167m climb
    • Fri: 45 minutes on the Turbo Trainer.
    • Sat: 13.43 mainly on trail. Temp ish. 4:23 pace. 208m climb.
    • Sun: c. 20k out and out hill run, inc. this Circuit of Glendalough recce. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/152749453 15.5k, 960m climb. 9min/k pace.
    • 5 days running. 60.5k for the week. & 2 turbo training sessions and a few exercise sessions thrown in.

Circuit of Glendalough:
    This race isn't until June but got a txt from Dermot to join him for a recce. Weather conditions looked dodge early on but it ended up being a perfect day for it.

A great run this. Very testing initial climb. Legs sore from yesterday so walked the steep initial climb. The track to the top was very sloppy but visibility was great. Pace was handy, chatting away with Dermot. Reached the top in 45 mins. Veered south. Very slippery and boggy underfoot and this took us down to the river crossing at about 60 mins in. Straight up the other side and met the trail to Lugduff to approach the cairn from the right direction without any back-tracking. Its nice when the visibility is good! Jogged the trail down to the Wicklow way and power-walked the other side to Mullacor. The run from there to Derrybawn was very boggy in places. Watch said 2:10 by the time we got to the end of Derrybawn which was at a very handy chatting pace.

Took the direct line off Derrybawn down towards the bridge at the top of the Polanass waterfall. Race finish will be there or thereabouts near the end of the waterfall trail. Jogged the trail back to the lower lake car park.

6932306215_506d17a9f3_z.jpg

6786188168_fb194b7cb5_z.jpg

6932301799_92b2d08cf0_z.jpg

Advertisement