Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby steps

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Rest day from running. Up early doors and donated platelets at 8am. Tired. If I ran this evening it would have been junk so put the feet up instead.

Met up with pronator who was fresh (tired fresh) from his Rotterdam marathon 2:46. His recovery pace was still nearly faster than my easy pace. The kilometers went by quickly as we chatted away. Recces of the WW to be set up soon. c. 9k at 4:44 pace.

Baby steps to recovery continues. 7k, 164m of ascents, 4:54 min/k pace. Covered 2 short-ish hilly loops. Happy to hold my form throughout. Going forward it would be nice to able to do 3, then 4 of these.

Same run as yesterday, this time trying to push on a bit. Managed 4:50 pace. The aim over the coming weeks will be to increase the speed slowly but surely and eventually manage to extend the no. of loops.

Legs felt fresh this evening and it was too good an evening to waste. Headed out for a short MTB first on road, then on trail, in Carrick Woods. Stunning views around the county of Wexford and Wicklow. 20k with over 300m of climb avg pace c. 20kph.

Majority of day given over to help at WAR Glendalough race. Exercise around it involved a quick walk up to the flank of Djouce. Hanging around there for a few hours, then a jog back following the runners, so over the course of the day I did their c9k route, which was a nice loop, a lot of which I wasn't familiar with. Nearly 300m of climb too.

• Advertisement

am: early doors run before breakfast to the sound of birdsong. Took it nice and easy, more to get myself into the day than anything else. 7.6k, 234m ascent, 5:23 min/k pace.

Middle of day: Helping out at IMRA Tonelagee & the Lake race. The downhill pics looked glorious. Wish I was running it.

pm: felt strangely energised and restless (must have been looking at other runners racing today while I was standing still). Headed out for a short run around the roads / trails. 1st uphill k had c. 80m of climb so had to work, but took to it nicely, very nicely actually. Really enjoyed it and am starting to feel like things are starting to come back. Slowly but surely.
    5.5k, 110m ascent, 4:37 min/k pace

This hurt... but in a good way. Steady and probably slow heading up, over some rough ground too, but picked it up coming down. Quad hurting run, on the hard trail, but this builds character, right :rolleyes:
    9.16k, 304m ascent, 5:01 min/k pace
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/80029726

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Good man SJ, this looks like a late run for the WWR "A" team:D

Felt tired after work and legs were leaden after yesterday's run. Was tempted to do nought. However, the evening was too great for that and decided that any sort of run, even just one to turn the legs and get the blood flowing was a better option.

Did an easy loop of the trails above the house. Legs would have struggled to go faster anyway, but it felt good. Breathing was easy too. I suppose theres a place for easy runs and I don't do enough of them. Stopped for a moment at the top to take in the silence of the evening and the magnificent view down the Ow valley towards Lug. Squinting through the evening light you would just about make out the cairn.

Kept it slowish and steady coming down the hill too when the temptation would be to let gravity pull, on sore quads.

Got to the church car park which usually marks the end of my runs if I'm knackered, but I still had lots in the tank and jopgged fairly effortlessly up the hill to the house. As a bonus the run was a bit longer than I expected.

10.26k, 287m ascents, pace 5:12, deer spotted en route 5.

The long weekend beckons and after a steady few weeks of getting the confidence back I am feeling like its time to push the boat out and increase the weekend distances.

A time curtailed run as the kids had to be collected from training. Trotted around the trails a bit at a relaxed pace. Great evening.
    6.7k, 179m ascents, 5:04 pace

• Advertisement

Yesterday morning, short trail run before work to early morning birdsong. Fabulous. 7.3k, 79m ascents, 4:55 pace

Today: Was thinking of recceing leg 6 of the WWR today but dpop betrayed me :D and did a recce yesterday, so it was a solo run instead. Wanted to go longer than I've gone in recent weeks, but taking it handy. Did this:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/80709156
    Hugely satisfied with it. It was more than the 20k I had optimistically reckoned to cover. It was over hilly ground. It was slow but steady. Kept the pace going solidly. It was over 2 hours too. A lot of it was over trail too and the views and early morning was fantastic. So positives a plenty and I've no aches to speak of.

All the while, last night and this morning I'd thoughts of Eddie Murphy (Boards SarsfieldRock). God bless you Eddie. Wear your Tipp jersey and your Conn Ultra t-shirt up there with pride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Looks like you're officially back in form.
    Was thinking of recceing leg 6 of the WWR today but dpop betrayed me :D and did a recce yesterday, so it was a solo run instead.
    Always knew you had a Jesus complex, SJ:D

Looks like you're officially back in form.

Always knew you had a Jesus complex, SJ:D

See - thats what competition for places does to us. Tears us apart ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

See - thats what competition for places does to us. Tears us apart ;)

I'm promised 30 pieces of gold from PN. Now, if you can better that...

Your back SJ, good to hear.............pieces of silver and gold:D whats all this, any spare coins put them my way:p

Easy run this morning. Felt sluggish for the initial ks but that was more to do with the late night last night than the run yesterday. Again, on aches which is positive.
    11k, 4:58 pace, 106m ascents. Mixed road and trail loop.

Since my return from injury I've now had 4 solid weeks of exercise. Touch wood the injury is behind me. While thats a plus I feel that any pace I has is gone to pot, and needs work. The run yesterday gave me confidence that my stamina has stayed pretty good, showing the benefit of doing a bit on the bike when I couldn't run.

Last 4 weeks review.
    w/c Total Ran Total Cycled
    21-Mar-11 0 38.21
    28-Mar-11 31.15 81.42
    04-Apr-11 40.56 81.96
    11-Apr-11 45.51 20.24
    18-Apr-11 68.62

Your base fitness will and has come back quickly but the last 5% of condition will take a little longer. Keep working as you have been, its important to build your base before you start of layering on quality. Your going in the right direction;)

Leg 7 recce planned for the morning so decided to stay off the running today and do a bit of a cycle instead. Fabulous morning for it. Did just over 40k over quite hilly terrain. One uphill in particular near the end I really regretted but I persisted and getting to the top felt good. No pain no gain and all that.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/81163488

The hills were looking magnificent today. Croaghan Kinsella was sparkling in the sun. Water coming off the top perhaps.
    5648920323_729219776d_b.jpg

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/81413077
    Met up with asiminov and dpop for this. Great morning for it. The distance is probably the limit of my capability at the mo. Faded towards the end but pace was pretty good overall; faster than I've managed recently. Very happy with progress. Great run, great company.

An easy evening run beckoned after yesterday's 21k. Surprised myself by doing 10k on mainly hilly trails, 236m of climb, and getting a 5 min/k average.

• Advertisement

27th. Nice loop of Cabinteely with Pronator. 8.7k, 4:39 pace whilst chatting away which wasn't too bad.

Today. Trying to stay fresh for the weekend, so limited myself to a short run. 6k, 177m ascents on trail, 5:17 pace.

Heading out West tomorrow for Croagh Patrick on Saturday. The intention is to take part. I'm only 6 weeks back into running so my taking part will be more a social run than recent years. It'll be nice to see the new route off the mountain.

Arrived this evening in Delphi. Glorious weather. Ran an easy 5k along Doo Lough. A jaw droppingly beautiful location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

You're right. A really lovely place to run. The road up the Sheefry pass (going N up Doolough turn right near the end of the lake) is also really fine.

Always found Doolough a sad place - probably letting the history influence me. But the view of the steep side of Mweelrea is one of the finest up-close mountain views from any road in Ireland.

Enjoy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

+1, probably my favourite run location in the west. totally epic landscape.

Well guys, not too late. Mweelrea race on Sunday. Up and down from the atlantic coast side with the sea calling afterwards for a dip :D

I did that run at new year last winter. It's surprisingly easy given the height gain, though I did fast-walk the last part. Brought the kids up as a walk the previous day. The descent, especially the last two-thirds across the sloping bog, is fantastic - total "let loose" running.

Brilliant fun.

Did the dip thing too - not quite as pleasurable, until you get out.

1st race of the year. 1st race since my return from injury. Very happy to have done it and to have come through it feeling okay, without flogging myself in the process, but running reasonably well too. So, all in all, a good days work.

No idea of my result in the overall scheme of things and don't really care. We took off at 2.30 in very warm conditions. Took it handy enough as handy enough is my training pace these days. I was surprised to be making up places on the climb despite that. When I, jogging, started to approach some runners I know, who were already walking, I deliberately slowed to a fast walk myself. Again, didn't want to overcook anything in my first race back. In any event my walking pace was reasonably good and I still make good ground. Jogged a bit before the cone, until it was back to a walk on the steep bit. Was very happy to get to the top. Was very thirsty at that point, but the end wasn't too far away (was it).

A new descent beckoned. The path off the mountain was a rubble field, with no defined path, so that was slow going. After that we were onto more runnable ground, which reminded me a bit of Scarr and the Galtees. There was a couple of stings in the tail in the descent, as we followed a ridge line and a few more climbs blocked our way. On the descent from the church I gained and lost a place, so no change in place, which I was happy with. Again I didn't go hell for leather on the descent. I felt a slight twinge on my ankle at one point and after that I ran slower, in self protection mode.

Finished in around 1:08. Legs okay. The only complaint I have is a small blister on the heel. All in all a great day's running.

The new Boards AC Tech top had its first outing too. :D

Legs felt reasonably ok after yesterday. Still, everyone else must be tired too right? Low numbers for today's race, which is typical of the 2nd event in the Connaught weekend. This was as remote a start 'line' as IMRA does. Very much off the beaten track, but what a location. Beach beside you, Mountain behind you. The weather gods were kind too. A bit of a breeze and warm.

We'd a bit of a delay at the start as we waited for Bernard who had set off in the direction of Asleagh Falls for what he thought was another Ben Gorm race :). 12.15ish we set off. Robert Malseed set off like a train up the road. This road bit is ****e to be honest. It serves no purpose other than to connect the mountain trail to the beach finish. Running on road with grippy uncushioned trail shoes isn't much fun. I started slow, again not wanting to flog myself unncessarily so soon after coming back from injury. Not being completely race fit either I suppose. From the road, we turned onto a farm track and from there onto open mountain, heading up and up to follow the river that cuts down from the ridge. Lots of marching (for me at least), but I still made up ground on others who were either walking or employing the run / walk strategy. Way in the distance the dots of lead runners could be seen. Brian 2nd to Robert, after that anyone's guess.

Onto the ridge and right upwards along to the summit. As we hit the ridge Rob was on his downward journey. I reckoned he had a minute on Brian. I'm a bit blurred as to who was next. Peter, Bernard ? Zoran was a very good 5th with the Bilboa 2, Tom and Ger next. I think I made summit next closely followed by Alan. There was probably seconds only between about 5 of us to be honest. The views of the top from the split second I looked were awesome. It was a narrow ridge though and the wind was blowing so it was a case of keeping the time at the top as short as possible. Alan and Brian (?) got away from me at the start of the descent and literally took off. I made reasonably pace considering my state of fitness. I could neither catch them nor be caught by chasing runners. I was lucky to get my descent direction pretty good whereas others lost time running towards other farm gates to the one we entered the field. The run down was brilliant. Soft runnable heaven. The farm trail and the bit on the road at the end were hell for me. I slowed to a jog as no one was near me and my blistered heel was giving me gip.

Very happy with run though. Nice social gathering at the finish at silver strand where many went down to the sea to cool off. I headed back to Delphi and cooled off by wading in the river outside in the sunside. Joyful stuff.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/82762907

5680584203_fe415e5c1f_z.jpg

• Advertisement

Nice running top. :)

Advertisement