Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby steps

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Yesterday: Rest / long drive home.
    Today: 8.9k slow recovery trail run. Legs leaden and whole body tired starting off but got into my stride and had to remind myself to keep the pace down. Cool morning. Weather changing perhaps. Lovely morning for a run all the same. Saw a total of 8 deer in the forest. Really tranquil. Glad to get the legs moving again. Might get out on the bike later for a stretch.

Note to self re: dangers of running through trees on your own.
    Jogged through newly cleared Coillte forest at one stage. Had to walk slowly over a section that wasn't quite cleared, high stepping over branches and tree trunks. At one stage I lost balance and slipped backwards to fall into a sitting position across some branches. Very lucky. Just ahead of me was a short branch in the upwards spearing direction :eek:. Stay on the trail, stay on the trail...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Good weekend for you. welcome back

Yesterday evening: 20k MTB road cycle. 23 kph
    This morning: 10k MTB trail loop. 20kph
    This evening: Hanging around whilst kids GAA training was going on. 7.7k of accumulated little loops, 167m ascents, 4:54 pace. Legs still feeling the effects of the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

Jogged through newly cleared Coillte forest at one stage. Had to walk slowly over a section that wasn't quite cleared, high stepping over branches and tree trunks.

Makes strong legs for terrain running.
    Felled forest makes for a great work out. Gets all the little muscles working.

Do 1-5min reps in that stuff. Great workout. Its not about pace, its about strength endurance.

Despite the tired legs my loop this evening had lots of downed trees which made for necessary jumping as I ran. A good work-out alright and something I intend doing more of and upping the intensity in due course.

• Advertisement

upping the intensity

I was not implying you do this kind of session before you've enough miles in the legs.

donothoponpop would have me banned for trying to take out his Boardies one by one :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

ocnoc wrote: »

donothoponpop would have me banned for trying to take out his Boardies one by one :P

One of these days ocnoc, one of these days...;) (shakes fist)

I'm not good at much running wise, but I'll give the best of them a good chase through downhill brashings. Great fun, very immediate.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/83602019

Met mothman (angus) at Glenmalure and headed over to Glendalough to start. Grey enough day and cool enough. A welcome change of weather as this leg is no fun in warm sunny conditions. Took the leg handy enough. Mman is steady enough on the climbs. False peaks a plenty on this leg. I kept saying this is the top, but it wasn't :rolleyes:. We eventually topped out and I half went over on my ankle again on slippy grass, so took it easy going through the forest clearing. Thats the problem with wearing road runners which give good cushioning for the trail, but shag all support or grip for the 2% of this route that needs it. Pace picked up towards the end as we could smell the finish line. Happy enough as legs still have Connaught in them.

I reckon I have recces for leg 2, 6 and 8 left to do given the time over the coming weeks, to try give the main man some selection options.

11k hill run around the 2010 Annacurra winter league route. Tree felling has occured in a few places since and some parts which were pristine trail are a mess with felled discards of branches and muddy puddles after rain.

Objective was to run the hills steady again. While it was overcast this morning it was lovely to run after the rain of yesterday. A nice foresty smell in the air. Its like nature was happy to get some water after a bit of a drought. Saw countless deer too. At one point 3 ran across the single track I was descending. A lovely sight.

Had to tiptoe a bit around the felled bits at the top and again on the 2nd ascent. Took it handy on the descents. Don't quite have the leg speed or strength to let go. Happy enough with my climbing perserverence.

412m of climb. Pace slow but happy with effort.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/83784517

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/84039370

Some days everything clicks. Had a busy day at home and got out late in the afternoon by way of a stress relieving run. Rain was threatening and the mist was low on the hills. I was actually looking forward to it raining.

Took an extended route via trail, road and trail to get to the top of the hill through the mist. The uphill was another case of onwards and upwards perserverance. An element of Peppa pig about this run as I ran through and jumped across muddy puddles. Mud sticky where Coillte has been working. Slowly but surely I inched my way to the top of the hill.

Managed to kick start the legs into the descend and put together some back to back sub 4 min ks which is novel for me. Controlled the breathing and let gravity do its thing. Looked at the watch occasionally and was very happy to see the pace go below the 5 min k mark overall. Not bad for a run with over 300m of climb. Running through the misty trail I disturbed some deer ahead. They are my constant companions these days on these runs. Kept the pace solid til the end. A good session.

• Advertisement

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/84525002

Same run as Saturday but this time in a clockwise direction. Maybe its the shallower gradient (to the same high point), maybe I was refreshed after a day without running yesterday, but overall the run was that bit faster today despite the muddier conditions and blustery wind. More deer in evidence. No people or even cars seen. Thats what I love about trail running in south Wicklow. This was a goody. And, this distance is a good benchmark for elements of the Wicklow way relay. 13k is a pretty good average distance and it has ups and downs in equal measure.

13k, 304m height gain, 4:38 min/k pace. A solid hours work pleasure.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/84782669

Did 3 laps of a hilly trail close to the house. Go out too hard and I'd suffer towards the end. Tried to keep the uphill pace fairly even and pare it back on the downhills without going all out. Happy with pace overall considering climbs. Trick next time(s) will be go faster or extend by another loop.

10k, 255m ascents, 4:38 pace

Rest day. Non running first aider at Prince William's seat. Great finish between Tom Hogan and Barry Minnock with Tom shading it by the closest of margins.

Yesterday: Easy run in the gales. Met up with Pronator in Kilgobbet for some gentle laps. 9k. 4:41 pace. This pace very easy indeed so maybe I'm starting to build a foundation for improvement slowly but surely.

Rush gig at o2 then last night. Incredibly good.

Today: 2 laps of 3ish k trail loops. Torrential rainstorm halfway. Felt great actually. Once you're wet and running and on the way home you can smile.
    7.2k, 187m ascents, 4:47 pace.

This was the event: http://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/834/
    Garmin linky: http://connect.garmin.com/dashboard?cid=395939

Last year’s Circuit of Avonbeg was one of my year’s highlight results. At 25+ k over wild Wicklow mountainous terrain it’s one of IMRA’s toughest events. But last year I was running well at the time and the day’s weather was perfect so a repeat of my sub 3 hr run was unlikely. In the lead up to today’s race I was a bit nervous about it. I feared I didn’t have the conditioning to finish it and the weather forecast was ominous. Still, early morning Saturday the sky was bright. I could see the local peak which is an omen for local weather so the deal was done and I set off to registration in the Glenmalure valley.

35 runners registered. The race director gave us our final instructions and we set off up the zig zag trail towards Arts Lough. My plan was simple. Run within myself. Last the pace. It was cold before we started so I was well wrapped up. Didn’t take too long to start warming up when running though, but I was glad with the gear I carried as later in the race the elements turned against us.

I ran with Dan Morrough initially, until Arts Lough. At one stage I lost balance and slipped into a gripe. Backside down into a puddle. Only a few k into the event and I’m cold and wet. :rolleyes:

A bit of a chore of a climb up to Clohernagh. Then the ascent along the track to Lugnacoille which was under a bit of cloud. Much of this I ran solo as Dan had applied his fuel injectors and had gotten into a mini group of 3 that were running well in the distance. Found out later Dan had come 2nd . Fantastic running!

Met Paul Joyce along this section giving some welcome encouragement. I trotted on remorsely against the wind up to and around the Lug cairn before setting a bearing for next peak in line Camenabologue. Ran steady with a view to lasting the pace for the route. Didn’t want to have to bow out early. Took a stready stream of jelly babies throughout, and an energy gel and mandarin orange. Must have worked reasonably well as energy levels held up. I was passed in this stretch by Kevin Grogan and Alan Alying both running well but I hung onto their coat tails and didn’t let them stretch out a lead too much at least. Alan had beaten me well in my 2 recent races. I haven’t ran much against Kevin but he’s a great runner. Great climbing today by him.

Control point at Camenabologue, then ran on in the same bearing taking a longer line around to Conavalla than the last year’s event. Convalla was a bit of a slog. Took my own line but could see Kevin and Alan each trying their own version. Ground was boggy in places but at least the wind was starting to be favourable for the walk run home. Okay walk and run, depending on the terrain.

The run to Lugduff was fairly uneventful but for the rain and hail? That started to fall heavily. Could faintly make out runners in the distance. Was that Kevin? Couldn’t see Alan any more. The experienced orienteers were chameleon like into the landscape with dark colours.

Legs were getting weary now on the boggy trail. I remarked back in the pub that I have the unique knack of being able to lose a trail once I find it. Clicked through the Wicklow way control and was promptly passed by another runner I didn’t recognise as I trudged up the far side. I couldn’t react. The aim at this stage was to finish and a look at the watch showed I wasn’t too far off last year’s time so I was pretty happy so far.

To the 2nd of Mullacor’s cairns. The small one. The same as last year. It could be nice if someone would mark the summits a bit more clearly :( Then down the tufty grass to the Wicklow way forest ride. Bumped into Alan Ayling at the entry point, surprisingly. Expected him to be well ahead at this point. We ran together for the next section of Wicklow way and started to look for the 1st of the tracks which would bring us towards the finish point. Found it handily enough, but when I exited it there was no sign of Alan. I wondered if I took the right track? Alan eventually exited going a lot slower than I’ve seen him of late. The last trail down to the finish proved a bit more elusive but we stumbled across it. I was half-expecting marking tape as was the case last year but truth be told its more a case of being able to follow the map properly and I would have been better served having the East-West mapping map which had more detail here.

Finished just ahead of Alan. Exhausted but chuffed to have crossed the line. We finished in respectable places and times. Some others ahead of us in the race had gone astray, I think the final stages and that had helped us. All part of the game. At least one runner finished from the road – from each direction!

Surprised to be 1st M40 home. Slower than last year but I’m running and can improve from here and wasn’t dying after.

Kudos to Colm on a fantastic win and much improved time from last year and in worse conditions this year too.

Enormous thanks to the race director and the volunteers on the hills who make this event possible.

26.9k, 1274m elevation gain, 3hrs 11m running (and trudging) time.

Route comparison. Purple line is yesterday's race. Pink line is the same race last year. Pretty happy I kept a reasonable course with no major errors.

Legs sore today. Managed to get out for a 24k cycle on the backroads. Feel better for it.

5719340338_c2637b0ceb_z.jpg

Tired this evening so this felt a bit of a trudge, particularly as there was a strong wind in the face for the 1st half of the run. Despite that pace was reasonable. 10k, 230m ascents, 4:42 min/km pace. Glad to have gotten out despite the low energy levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done Mick. Great running on the circuit of Avonbeg. You must be fairly well healed, if you can take on a beastie like that one.

Tired this evening so this felt a bit of a trudge, particularly as there was a strong wind in the face for the 1st half of the run. Despite that pace was reasonable. 10k, 230m ascents, 4:42 min/km pace. Glad to have gotten out despite the low energy levels.

An easy day never hurt anyone, especially after an epic.
    But good to hear energy levels are up again.

@KC. Thanks. Yes, very happy to have survived the day :) Its probably the toughest IMRA race that I'll do this year. The plod is a doddle in comparison it being on trail and all runnable. The nearest thing to it without the distance is the likes of the Galtees, which I would strongly recommend everyone run experience at least once. ...Thinks of ocnoc battling for position heading up Galteemore and smiles

@ocnoc. My recovery powers is pretty pathetic so it'll probably be easy runs for a few days :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

A nice 9k around the trails this evening. Went off trail too and did a bit of hurdling over timbers that crossed my path. Moved a few into hurdling position too so I've more to do on the next circuit. Running through the trees surrounded by the bluebells was great. Moments like this make you appreciate all the more making the effort to get out.

9k, 233m climb, easy c. 5 min pace (stopped watch mid run by accident).

Wasn't sure about this. Legs hadn't recovered from CoA. And this was uphill only. Not my strong point. However when pn said he was going, it was a case of nothing ventured nothing gained, so off we went.

Ran this last year and ran fairly middling. Route has changed for this year with the addition of steep climbs in the early sections, as if we really needed them. In balance however, I'd prefer it, as the previous iteration has long sections of trail.

After a very casual warm up, we lined up for the inevitable pain to come. I planned to start at a steady pace that I hoped I'd be able to continue with blowing up. Lots of speedsters in evidence as this race was a trial run for the Euro trial race in 5 weeks time. The speedy bunch disappeared quickly from view at the start. After the initial climb and small downhill we were in a single file queue up the single track bit. I jogged this as much as I could but it was slow progress as the people ahead slowed us up. In retrospect I probably could have elbowed my way through a bit more, but similarly in retrospect this slow start was to help me later.

When we emerged up to the zig zags I managed to get by a few runners until I was at Gohard's shoulder as we ran around the side of Maulin. Again I took it steady enough. Why go fast here and waste energy. Keep the energy for when it was really needed was my race mantra. On the run down to the river I made a few more places. Crossed the bridge behind Jenny McCauley. Chatted briefly as we turned onto the green track parallel to the Wicklow way. We had a nice tail wind at this point. I knew it wouldn't last as we turned right to face the real uphill challenge of the day. From that point on it was a case of keeping the head. Head down, move legs. Repeat until trig point. Managed to run the entire thing. Slow but steady. Overtook about 5 runners on this section. Was happy it was over and was quietly happy with my resolve to keep running as others around and ahead of me walked bits and that no one had overtaken me from a point quite early in the race.

Was getting cold immediately at the top so hightailed it back to the car park, then back to the pub for a bit of a yap. Happy enough with the day considering it was only a 50 50 idea earlier in the day. Another run which increases my running confidence that I'm building on a firm foundation following injury.

Great running by the lead guys and by the likes of pn and jeffontour all streets ahead of me. I took my name off the RD list for Trooperstown today as I've a vague hope now of being able to do my 7 LL races if I can squeeze them in somehow.

664m climb, 6k, 45.35 time. 7:34 pace which is miserable really, so must get better. Downhill run after. 6.2k, 35.41

FFS 30th. Hey, speedy lads. Stay away from my race please :rolleyes: Can see now the impact of getting bottled in in the earlier stages of this race.

This evening, felt good and felt like running even for just a bit. 6k, with 184 of climb at 5.10 pace.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/86967561

Met up with Abhainn to do this. We both know the leg well and there is little risk of going wrong but it was a case of ticking the box on the recces for our bossman. I hope to do a few more to give him some selection options.

Early on we were cruising. The steep downhill bit at Knockree is bone dry which makes for fast running. Mountain Meitheal are at work here putting stone steps.. fine for running up but too short and high for helping with downhills. Running around by the river we pulled at a gate thats normally open and it was closed fast. We had to climb it. It was tied with some tape. I'll mention it to Joe Lalor as I've never seen that closed before?

Heading up through Crone and higher we started to notice the wind. Mountain Meitheal are doing more work where the WW emerges onto the trail down from Maulin. More big flagstones. An improvement over the almost post-nuclear felled forest scene that has been here in recent years.

Down to the river and slowly upwards from there. Took it handy, chatting away. Heading up towards Djouce the wind really got up and it was difficult to maintain forward momentum. We hoped for some relief when we turned off the Djouce path around its flank, but no deal. It was worse. And, it got worse when we got onto the boardwalk. I usually really enjoy flying along here. Not today. Running was a chore. Wind was directly into the face and it took a bit of balancing to keep on the boards at times. It was good to emerge off the end of the boardwalk into the forest for a bit of shelter and finish.

Pace was poor enough overall but conditions negated anything better. If the wind was such last week then any WW record attempt would have died early on I'd say. Fingers crossed for a calm day for the relay itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Just checked out the garmin link and that leg looks horrible, far too much climbing for me. Going to rob your link and add it to the gps thread if thats ok

2nd time in 4 days to do over 600m of climb. :o

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/87185621

Stayed off the high ground and in the shelter of the forest this morning to avoid the wind. Had enough of that yesterday. I've chiseled out a little loop of trail and road which is c. 3k. I've done it once, twice and three times to date. Today I'd go for 4. The climb here isn't massive but its good training for transition from flat, climb, downhill and has nice variety for a short run. Coasted a lot of the downhill bits. The quads were starting to ache as the loops went on. A sign of effort but no harm. Would be good to stretch this to 5 and 6 repetitions before the WWR.

13k, 4:53 pace, 334m climb.

What is it with this wind, ffs. Mixed it up this evening and did a bit of trail plus some laps around the community field in Aughrim, which had some sides sheltered by trees, others not so pace was up and down. Intention was to do just 7k but turned on the way home and threw in another loop of c 3k to get to the 10. Pretty happy given the conditions and happy too with the pace on the hills. I need to do sessions like this more. Mixed the flat and the hills in the same session for a bit of variety.
    10k, 147m climb, 4:40 pace

Thanks dp for resusitating my dead garmin this evening.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/87615781

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hey SJ, any interest in doing a leg 7 recce on either of the next two weekends? Trying to drum up some interest (and sort a car-pool at the same time). :)

• Advertisement

Hey SJ, any interest in doing a leg 7 recce on either of the next two weekends? Trying to drum up some interest (and sort a car-pool at the same time). :)

Sunday morning any use to you?

Advertisement