Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baby steps

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

I don't have short term objectives so I'm not motivated enough to keep the log regularly updated. Since the Debra race I've been running 6 days out of 7 and ticking over nicely.

Last weekend I ran the imra Wicklow way trail race. At 25k with 800m of climb its a toughy. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/161035448 Still, I was quietly happy with my days work in the hills. 16th place was pretty good considering. The runners above me were all quality. I ran conservatively as I was protecting a few niggles. Despite that I was within a minute of the last time I ran this 2 years ago so a decent result all in.

This week it was a case of trying in vain to shake of DOMs and further niggles exacerbated by the WWT race. Pronator had talked me into doing the bhaa race this weekend as our work had its annual championship race within the bhaa race and each work location could have a team of 3 so I was volunteered to race ;). I was walking wounded up to yesterday, including having an ache in the lower back [too much sitting hunched over laptops in work]. Some hot rub on the back helped to dispel the discomfort.

bhaa 4 mile race report

This was a step into the unknown for me. A first bhaa race. A first 4 mile race. And it was flat. Got there early and the pre-race logistics went like clockwork. Fair play bhaa volunteers. Met some of my BOI colleagues / foes :) I haven't been to St Annes Park in ages. I'd forgotten how nice it was here. Really was pleasant and if you lived around here you have a great resource at your doorstep.

My pre race warm up was more of a pre race hobble. I couldn't get going at all and my running gait was pretty awful from accumulated aches. Toed the line nervously near the front more out of stupid optimism that anything else. As a 2 lap race I was hoping to run within myself and still have something left for the 2nd lap.

This was always going to be a challenge for me. I don't do fast training full stop unless you count using gravity running down a hill.

The wide avenue we ran on was perfectly flat and great for avoiding congestion. I started okay but runners gradually started to drift past me in the first half of lap 1. My breathing was controlled and my stride was reasonably okay too. Over the 2nd half of lap 1 I made up a couple of places. I think the shout for 2 mile was 11.28.

Into the 2nd lap. I improved a couple more places and I got to running in a mini group of 4 which reduced to 3 1/4 of the way in. The loop was nice that you could see the faster runners up ahead of you and also look sideways and see those behind you keen to take your place. My 2nd lap was slower, but I was still running reasonably controlled and as we moved from road to the park for the 2nd time I was in a good position tucked in between on my group of 3. When we hit the avenue with c. 500m to go I felt good enough to stride out and move ahead solo mode towards the finish. Finished just ahead of our 3 group.

1st ever 4 miler and a sub 24 min time (47th place). So happy days. Brief warm down with Pronator (8th place!), Joe and Niall from work. Nice relaxed scene afterwards with tea and lots of fruit cake. Yum.

Thanks bhaa. I'll be back.

Great run yesterday SJ. Just showes that your talents spread beyond the hills. I'll keep you to the fact that you say you will be back for another BHAA race :D

Advertisement