Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sky telephone and broadband

• 28-03-2011 8:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭

hi,
    heard over the weekend that sky are doing/or will be shortly broadband and telephone, has anyone else heard this?
    heard it from a salesperson of theirs, he was trying to sign me up as new sky customer and said i could avail of the phone offer after i'd signed up. i cant find anythimg bout it on their website and am afraid i'm getting done by rep!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Extremely unlikely for lots of reasons. They were telling fibs to get you to sign up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

JDxtra wrote: »
    Extremely unlikely for lots of reasons.

Why can't they do Broadband?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Sky have been talking about doing Broadband in Ireland for years. Every year that visit all the main ISPs and ponder how to do it.

It might happen this Autumn 2011. But don't beleive it till it's publically advertised as it easily might not happen. Also they will lose money on it. It will be to compete with UPC, so it may not be in all areas, it may be rubbish speed as it will use entirely existing ISPs.
    Why can't they do Broadband?

Traditionally as there is no profit unless you have your own wireless or fibre. No-one makes money reselling Eircom.

Also AVERAGE speed on Eircom is about 3.5Mbps. Loads of people get less. In UK Sky bought Easynet giving them LLU on about 1/3 Exchanges. The traditional wisdom was that Sky would have to buy 3 ISPs to do the same here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

So don't expect some super satellite service then Watty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

what i was told and this could be complete rubbish....
    the rep said that the majority of us are signed up to sky through england, apparently there is now a sky ireland and if we transfer over we get better deals, multi room capped at 15 euro no matter how many boxes..hd plus box (i wouldnt want the hd), can record 2 things and watch a third..also gave me a better price on sports package which i dont remember cause i dont want it...when i asked the rep about telephone etc i was told that when you sign up to sky ireland and have it installed only then can the rep offer the broadband and phone, gave prices of 19 euro for broadband and 37 euro for phone and broadband, unlimited download and 600 mins talk free...
    am i a fool for even believing???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

tazwaz wrote: »
    what i was told and this could be complete rubbish....
    the rep said that the majority of us are signed up to sky through england, apparently there is now a sky ireland and if we transfer over we get better deals, multi room capped at 15 euro no matter how many boxes..hd plus box (i wouldnt want the hd), can record 2 things and watch a third..also gave me a better price on sports package which i dont remember cause i dont want it...when i asked the rep about telephone etc i was told that when you sign up to sky ireland and have it installed only then can the rep offer the broadband and phone, gave prices of 19 euro for broadband and 37 euro for phone and broadband, unlimited download and 600 mins talk free...
    am i a fool for even believing???

Why oh why do some reps go around spouting bull to people-99% of what you were told is nonsense.It's clowns like them that give decent reps a bad name as they all get lumped in together.Sky is Sky-no matter if you live in Ireland or not.
    Transfer over???? The rep was simply trying to sign you up as a new customer to get more commission for themselves.Did they tell you that you would have to cancel your old Sky account or end up being double billed? I doubt it.
    Rule number one-if your unsure don't sign up,it's easy to spot the spoofers and you clearly met one.
    Until Sky actually come out and announce the launch of broadband in Ireland do not believe a word anyone tells you about it being launched here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Most of what you were told there tazwaz was bare-faced lies.These guys are being paid commission on completed sales,and some salesmen in any industry will overstep any line just to bump their pay pack.
    I would steer clear of him and his offers if I were you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

So don't expect some super satellite service then Watty?

ALL Sky Broadband in UK is via DSL. Copper phone line.
    There ARE new satellite Services. These are neither cheap nor broadband.
    Hylas1 from Avanti
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71351951&postcount=4

Digiweb and SBI already sell Tooway:
    http://www.digiweb.ie/home/broadband/satellite-broadband/
    http://www.satellitebroadbandireland.ie/products.php

I can't see Sky selling these Satellite products. Hardly competitive with UPC and VERY low cap, plus 600ms to 900ms latency.

I don't honestly know what Sky will be using IF they start in Autumn 2011. Assume that they are NOT until there are official adverts. Sales reps love repeating "nice" rumour as fact.

Advertisement