Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bus Service

Options
  • 28-03-2011 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

Got a flyer in the door tonight from Charlesland Mini Bus offering a replacement shuttle service to the Dart station. €15 per week return or €55 per month. Seems to be more frequent than the current bus service but a bit pricey - €720 per year if one were to use it 48 weeks of the year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Wineman wrote: »
    Got a flyer in the door tonight from Charlesland Mini Bus offering a replacement shuttle service to the Dart station. €15 per week return or €55 per month. Seems to be more frequent than the current bus service but a bit pricey - €720 per year if one were to use it 48 weeks of the year.

Don't see how that would be worth it - it would cost €11.50 to get Dublin Bus each way to the DART for the working week. Even with the frequency I'd feel like I was getting ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

Although I was anti the free bus service on the other thread on the basis that I had never used it, I wish these guys the best of luck. I really hope that the modest fee of 15 euro will attract all the supporters of the service and present users as it would be great to have the service for the kids to go to school in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

conlof wrote: »
    Although I was anti the free bus service on the other thread on the basis that I had never used it, I wish these guys the best of luck. I really hope that the modest fee of 15 euro will attract all the supporters of the service and present users as it would be great to have the service for the kids to go to school in years to come.

Are you winding us up?!?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭amy1plus2

Mad mad price to look for, Im all for initiative etc but this service is basically killing themselves from the beginning. Will be very surprised if this gets up and running. Pure common sense would have given a way more affordable pricetag which would encourage way more users :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Yep. I already have an annual Dart/Dublin bus pass which cost only marginally more than this. The big advantage of the shuttle bus was the regular running and times which suited me more than Dublin bus. €15 a week is a big price per head, at that cost it wouldn't be any cheaper than driving to/from the park'n'ride every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭caji

I think a pay-as-you go system would be better. I myself only use it in the evenings and not every day.

The prices they quoted are a bit steep also given that people have to pay for dart on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Two Boys

It's pretty expensive, I think they should have gone with around the €10 mark. If it takes off it will be a great business. Also if they included school run service they might be on to a winner, they just need to do a run back to Charlesland at lunchtime. I would use it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

I'd say some people would be interested if the price were lowered. At 15 per week that's 1.50 per journey, but only if you use it twice every day. Many people don't have the same schedule every day and would miss a couple or a few journeys, making the price per journey as much as 3 euro.

They should have a lower weekly price, which would encourage people to sign up even if they knew they weren't going to take it every day. If you paid a fiver per week and knew it was there if you needed it, I'd say they'd got a lot more uptake. People who don't even use the Dart would sign up for that. It would be a good service for school children in Charlesland as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Would you commuters not consider a car pool thread to the park and ride?

Or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Hi cheeky I thought of that too but I don't know if there would be too many adopters of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Two Boys

I think we are going to see a fleet of people on bikes heading for the Staion every day, makes sence especially with the Summer coming!!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

Two Boys wrote: »
    I think we are going to see a fleet of people on bikes heading for the Staion every day, makes sence especially with the Summer coming!!

I think we're going to see some creative placement of bikes with all of the new cyclists making using of the bike rack...

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

€1.50 each way to the station when Dublin Bus is €1.15 I understand and less with a season ticket. Who were the geniuses who co-ordianted this with Charlesland mini-bus, the Resdients Committee, the managing company, or both? Obviously coordianted as they have the timetable. I think another knee-jerk reaction to look like they actually considered options before they cut the service with 3 weeks notice (in Park).

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

off topic posts have been deleted - this discussion is not about the old shuttle bus

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Honestly! wrote: »
    €1.50 each way to the station when Dublin Bus is €1.15 I understand and less with a season ticket. Who were the geniuses who co-ordianted this with Charlesland mini-bus, the Resdients Committee, the managing company, or both? Obviously coordianted as they have the timetable. I think another knee-jerk reaction to look like they actually considered options before they cut the service with 3 weeks notice (in Park).

Co-ordinated - doubt it :rolleyes:
    I'm sure Charlesland mini - bus are capable of looking up a dart timetable...

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Keeping in mind that a return journey in a taxi us 12 Euro, I think the shuttle is good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭GingerDave

Keeping in mind that a return journey in a taxi us 12 Euro, I think the shuttle is good value.

OR. A taxi to and from the DART is a total ripeoff!!!

For my two cents worth...the suttle bus is a good idea but way over priced.

Max bums on seats 15 (per time slot)
    Max Time slots 14 (per day)
    Price per bum per week €15

Assume 40 bums take out weekly ticket (low given daliy capacity)

40 bums at €15 a week= €30k+ a year for driving up and down to the DART five days a week. (They already have a mini bus so this is all additional revenue)

Oh hang on .... on second thoughts.....they'd be better off on the dole!

Nice money if you can make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

GingerDave wrote: »
    OR. A taxi to and from the DART is a total ripeoff!!!

For my two cents worth...the suttle bus is a good idea but way over priced.

Max bums on seats 15 (per time slot)
    Max Time slots 14 (per day)
    Price per bum per week €15

Assume 40 bums take out weekly ticket (low given daliy capacity)

40 bums at €15 a week= €30k+ a year for driving up and down to the DART five days a week. (They already have a mini bus so this is all additional revenue)

Oh hang on .... on second thoughts.....they'd be better off on the dole!

Nice money if you can make it.

An alternative on a night when you are hungry and also need to get home is to call the Royal Park Chinese, order a delivery at 2.50 charge and then jump in!

But seriously, the developers still have an onus to subsidise a service so we should be looking to them to fund whatever new service is in place as per their agreement with WCC under the planning permission i.e. any more cost than 50C per trip is to be subsidised. I don't know why there are posters on here determined to make sure this information is not shared?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

hi folks this thread is about a proposed new bus service - could we stay on topic

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Charlieville

Wineman wrote: »

<<<snip>>>
    I texted back the number provided for enquiries on the new bus and said I might be interested for few months during the Winter but I couldn't afford to pay for using it for the whole year. The guy left a msg on my voicemail saying he would look at reducing the costs if he had more people looking to take it up but at the moment only 30 people had replied saying they would use the service......eh that's because it's a complete rip off!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Off topic posts will be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

No problem Damo. Just posted it here because the other discussion on this topic was locked. Should I open a new discussion, or are we not allowed talk about it? If not, fair enough. Just let us know what we are and are not allowed talk about.

Advertisement