Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye problem

Options
  • 28-03-2011 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe somone can help me out here on this?
    I am left handed ,left eye dominant,but short sighted in my left eye.So I only use contacts when I am shooting.Was up on the range last Sat for a spot of pistol shooting,and while I was shooting noticed the following problems phenoma.
    1]When I shoot both eyes open the pistol sight picture should be,clear front sight,somwhat fuzzy rear, sight clear target,[Sight pattern is a three dot lite sensitive Tiijicion].

I am getting a variable blurred front or rear sight,which ever one I concentrate on more with both eyes open and shots are going into the 9/11 oclock position,and I have to aim slightly off the target [to the left] to get it to print in the buill [ target 10 meters distance,appx A4 paper size and skittles]
    Stance is two handed modified Weaver.With various arms length distances to see if this improves or disproves the sight pic

Right eye closed,I am printing in the black,but it isnt the correct way of shooting in any shape or form.You are supposed to keep both eyes open and Ido with scope and shotgun shooting.
    Now the oddest is I tried right hand[weak hand for me ]and right eye shooting,single handed and a perfect string of six inline from appx 7o clock to 1o clock!!!:eek::eek:

So WTF is going on??Am I becoming ambidexterious while shooting?:)
    Is the contact lens giving trouble?Why do I have to aim slightly off to the left to hit in the black??

It certainly isnt the gun...Another lad tried it and is putting them in the black no bother.
    Tried a rifle as well,and no trouble there,[straight in the black free hand.]

Is this a shooting problem or a Spec saver problem??:pac:
    Thoughts??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

I often wondered about that too. I'm left eye dominant, shoot off my right shoulder with scoped rifle and alls fine. Shoot from my right shoulder with shotty also but have to aim a little left and high:D Works for me but would rather train my lefty. Shotty is lefty also so makes it more awkward. Am I correct in saying it doesn;t matter as much with scoped rifle? {Even though not ideal I know}

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Thoughts??
    You're occasionally shooting with your right eye instead of your left, probably because of the myopia in the left eye. I have the same cross-dominant problem with my pistol shooting (I shoot left-eyed and right-handed and I'm shooting one-handed which seems to magnify the problem a bit).
    Solution? Headband and a blinder over the right eye or learn to choose which eye you want dominant (yes, it can be done, but it takes a while and practice - learn what the two sight pictures look like and how they differ and mentally focus on the one you want to see and your visual cortex usually makes the switch for you).

The blinder is a lot cheaper and easier and more reliable under stress. That's why almost every ISSF pistol shooter you'll see on the international lines wears blinders, even when they're not opaque :

polak2.jpg

The slightly hazed plastic on her left (our right) eye is sufficient to do the job and the light levels to both eyes remain the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Cheers Sparks,
    Any good tips on how to achive or train the eye tips??Or is it just a case of practise,practise,practise??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

A lot of it is just practice, but to be honest Grizzly, the blinder is the best solution. You could try shooting one-handed for a while, it tends to help (because the gun is off to one side far more than with a weaver or similar stance and the bridge of the nose degrades the sight picture for one eye, acting like a sort-of blinder).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Maybe somone can help me out here on this?
    I am left handed ,left eye dominant,but short sighted in my left eye.So I only use contacts when I am shooting.Was up on the range last Sat for a spot of pistol shooting,and while I was shooting noticed the following problems phenoma.
    1]When I shoot both eyes open the pistol sight picture should be,clear front sight,somwhat fuzzy rear, sight clear target,[Sight pattern is a three dot lite sensitive Tiijicion].

I am getting a variable blurred front or rear sight,which ever one I concentrate on more with both eyes open and shots are going into the 9/11 oclock position,and I have to aim slightly off the target [to the left] to get it to print in the buill [ target 10 meters distance,appx A4 paper size and skittles]
    Stance is two handed modified Weaver.With various arms length distances to see if this improves or disproves the sight pic

Right eye closed,I am printing in the black,but it isnt the correct way of shooting in any shape or form.You are supposed to keep both eyes open and Ido with scope and shotgun shooting.
    Now the oddest is I tried right hand[weak hand for me ]and right eye shooting,single handed and a perfect string of six inline from appx 7o clock to 1o clock!!!:eek::eek:

So WTF is going on??Am I becoming ambidexterious while shooting?:)
    Is the contact lens giving trouble?Why do I have to aim slightly off to the left to hit in the black??

It certainly isnt the gun...Another lad tried it and is putting them in the black no bother.
    Tried a rifle as well,and no trouble there,[straight in the black free hand.]

Is this a shooting problem or a Spec saver problem??:pac:
    Thoughts??

Old age creeping in:rolleyes::D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Sparks wrote: »
    :

polak2.jpg

J####z, what a get-up. And I thought that crossover stocks were ugly!!:D:D:D
    Rs
    P.

Ugly, yeah, but function over form...

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

She is not ugly ;) She would have to leave the glasses on though:D Oh hell I am thinking out loud again.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

These guys make interesting shooting glasses http://www.hansenseagleeye.com/ . If and when I get my pistol back I'm going to try them as I have a problem with sight picture using varifocals.

Kryten wrote: »
    She is not ugly ;) She would have to leave the glasses on though:D Oh hell I am thinking out loud again.
    That's a wee bit worrysome there Kryten. That's Hannah Polak, one of the best modern pentathlon shooters from the UK - and she's 16 in that photo... :P

sfakiaman, do those act as safety glasses as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

polak2.jpg

Red heads do it for me every time. ;)

What pistol is she using?

Can't tell clive, I was googling for a photo showing shooting glasses on pistol shooters, not their pistols :D
    Could be an AW93 - she won a ladies sports pistol match in Australia recently (which is impressive since it's not something you can train for in the UK, it just goes to show that air pistol skills translate across well)

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

That's a wee bit worrysome there Kryten. That's Hannah Polak, one of the best modern pentathlon shooters from the UK - and she's 16 in that photo...

:eek::eek::eek:
    Better wait till she's older so..:D (Then I'll be too old, after all I'm 42 Today :confused:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

clivej wrote: »
    Red heads do it for me every time. ;)

What pistol is she using?

The missus was definatly looking over your shoulder when you were writing that comment! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

sfakiaman wrote: »
    These guys make interesting shooting glasses http://www.hansenseagleeye.com/ . If and when I get my pistol back I'm going to try them as I have a problem with sight picture using varifocals.

Thanks Safika.How goes the war with the pistol liscense??:)

sfakiaman, do those act as safety glasses as well?

They are marketed as shooting glasses so I assume they would be classed as safety glasses from that point of view, short of a catastrophic failure ordinary glasses will do. I have seen safety glasses tested by firing a .22 air rifle at them from about three feet and I doubt they meet that standard. The Hansen style glasses are aimed (no pun intended) at pistol shooters who use variations on the Weaver style stance and scope sighted rifle shooters where you would get your close focus vision (ie fore sight) through the top of the lens rather than the bottom as in ordinary bi or varifocals. For your style of shooting the glasses as worn by the young lady are more appropriate but for Grizzly maybe the Hansen style with one lens blurred could be the answer.

Thanks Safika.How goes the war with the pistol liscense??:)

I don't grab my ankles for nobody!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

I am shorted in both eyes and wear glasses all the time,,my big problem is when pistol shooting because the rear sight is blurred and foresight is perfect,,I tried a red dot sight and found it perfect,,I have to use one for perfect target sighting,,spoke to my optician who suggested varifocul lenses which have 3 types of lens built into one, one for reading/one for distance and the other for arms lenght like using a pc or shooting.
    hope this helps.

The problem I find with the varifocals is that using a two handed grip I have to pull my head back to focus through the correct part of the lense. If you were using a single handed grip your head would be up and focus is no problem with varifocals. You would have to show the optician the stance you use to get the magnification in the correct part of the lense.

Why not just buy a pair of glasses specifically for shooting with the focus set at the right length?

• Advertisement

Why not just buy a pair of glasses specifically for shooting with the focus set at the right length?

I tried that and the rest of the world was such a blur I was a danger moving about. :D

Advertisement