Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with my first build -wiring? psu?

Options
  • 28-03-2011 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭

*sigh*beginning to regret not paying HWVS that extra few quid to build it for me and saved me all this hassle (but it would be fun says I :rolleyes:).

Working all this evening putting it together but when I plugged it in and switched it on it spins up and stops and spins up again and stops until I plug it out (once I hit the power switch the only to power it off is flipping the switch at the back - prob an issue with wiring that just cant seem to figure out). Also there seems to be constant power going to the mobo as there is a light on it. Would this be an issue with my wiring or could it be shorting somewhere.

Just looking for any ideas (or re assurance that i haven't completely screwed over my pricey build :p)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Do you have two power connections to the motherboard - a 20/24 pin and a 4/8 pin?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭wal100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Yeah have the 4pin and 20 pin plugged in

Thinking about just breaking it down to the bear essentials and trying it now (pull hdd, dvd, graphics card)

Trekmad wrote: »
    Yeah have the 4pin and 20 pin plugged in

Thinking about just breaking it down to the bear essentials and trying it now (pull hdd, dvd, graphics card)

Think the Power Switch ,Power Led , Reset Switch wired incorrectly.

at the moment I stripped all wires and just using the power switch plugged in

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Put together the PSU, CPU, cooler, mobo, one RAM module and graphics card if no onboard, and test.

To check that you haven't an issue with the case, test it outside the case and use a screwdriver or spare jumper to bridge the switch terminals on the frontpanel pin header to turn it on and off.

Its normal for most mobos to have a light on all the time, showing the PSU is correctly hooked up and the 5VSB rail is energised - this rail supplies the power switch and standby LEDs and USB peripherals while the PC is "off".

If you have no onboard graphics, make sure that all needed PCIe PEG connectors from the PSU are hooked up to your graphics card! That build error is even more common than missing the ATX/EPS CPU power connector :o

Finally, try resetting the CMOS (pull out battery for ~30 secs, push/bridge any CLR_CMOS button or jumper, reinsert battery) and trying again.

cheers Sol,

I suspecting ive been sold a dud psu, I stripped the mobo out and now all there is - is the power going to it and the power switch and its the same crap.

but i should be able to test it with the mother board alone and cpu fan?

:o I think I'm gonna call in help from the pc shop, but I do believe there is something up with the PSU as its likes its constantly tripping.

:o I think I'm gonna call in help from the pc shop, but I do believe there is something up with the PSU as its likes its constantly tripping.

Have you got another Psu to Try ? Is the processer , heatsink seated correctly ?

• Advertisement

I believe so, but its worth a shot lifting both and re seating, but I am not hopeful :(

No extra PSU lying around I'm afraid

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

You also need at least one stick of RAM and some kind of graphics for a minimum boot Trek :)

What is the mobo and CPU again anyway?

MSI p67A GD55 - (B3)
    Intel Core i5 2500K

153226.jpg

CPU fan, graphics card, ram - no joy :(

Start - Stop -Start - Stop ......etc

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭seyeM

If your graphics card is in the lower PCIe slot, move it to the upper one.

Try just one stick of ram in every RAM slot. Make sure it is fully seated in the slot. If that doesn't work, try the other stick. What kind of RAM is it, and what voltage does it need?

After that, unplug the PC, remove the cmos battery for a few minutes and put it back, then turn it on again.

What PSU brand and model is in the PC?

Just saw that post with the pic - the second PCIe x6 connector isn't plugged in to the graphics card, was it like that when you tested?

What PSU brand and model is in the PC?

Super-Flower SF800P14XE Golden Green

Just in case I didn't mention it earlier the psu fan and light is also starting stopping

ram sticks - http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28068&agid=1193&lb

EDIT both were plugged in thats an extra plug

2 more points, again based on the picture. I can't see the 8-pin ATX 12v power connector, make sure it's connected. It's located on the upper left of the motherboard. Again that's 8 pin, 4 of them may be covered with a removable plastic cap on that motherboard

If that's not the problem, CPU coolers are normally mounted facing right to left on the motherboard. Check that the backplate isn't oriented in a way that it that is shorting connections on the back of the motherboard.

More images seeing that its all im going to achieve tonight

Without G Card

153228.jpg
    153227.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

You don't have your 8 pin CPU power plugged in. It's between the CPU and the rear I/O panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

it is a black 4 pin plug behind your i/o see 3.05 in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLOpoDGJZYk

If I were you I would also mount the CPU fans so they're sucking air from the front of the case and blowing out the back rather than from the bottom as they're going to be obstructed by the graphics.

that had a cover over it
    153237.jpg
    153238.jpg

might explain it

massy086 wrote: »
    it is a black 4 pin plug behind your i/o see 3.05 in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLOpoDGJZYk

He points directly to it around about 3 mins in to that video.

will rotate cpu fan, was trying everything in desparation :o

will rotate cpu fan, was trying everything in desparation :o
    well for now plug in the 4pin and the gpu and see if it will boot

If the socket accepts 8 pins, plug 8 in.

I love you guys :o

it boots but its ignoring my power switch(small issue)

well done now put it in your case and try to carefully think out your cable,s and route them nice as your haf case hase great cable management also turn your cpu cooler have fun

• Advertisement

Cheers,

I ll try and have fun but by 3am ill prob be back on the cigs :D

Advertisement