Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which is more powerful, the Dreamcast or PS2

• 28-03-2011 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭

I was listening to a podcast this morning and the host made an off hand comment about the Dreamcast being more powerful than the PS2. I was just wondering if this was true.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The answer is the Atari Jaguar :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I was listening to a podcast this morning and the host made an off hand comment about the Dreamcast being more powerful than the PS2. I was just wondering if this was true.

What podcast? I think It's pretty obvious that the PS2 was the more powerful console. Where the Dreamcast beat it was that it had a custom anti-aliasing system that took very little processing power and was used in a few games while the PS2 was not capable of anti aliasing. The dreamcast also had more video memory meaning it could do better textures but it's main memory was half compared to the PS2 so it kind of evened out. PS2's graphics card also was much more advanced than the dreamcasts, capable of more effects.

Whoever was doing the podcast really doesn't know what they are on about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

But, the PS2 was a brute, while the DC was a considerate lover, I just think it should be said, is all...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The DC did the best volumetric smoke in Under Defeat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    What podcast?

Whoever was doing the podcast really doesn't know what they are on about.

It was the Weekend Confirmed podcast from Shack News.

• Advertisement

Ah right. Thought one so big would have a bit more well informed. Only really listen to the 1up one after giving up on giantbomb cast, not because it was bad or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

The dreamcast was more powerful but only because they pushed the crap innards too hard. All that with a terrible cooling system. Every person I know that bought one melted it within 6 months.

hare05 wrote: »
    The dreamcast was more powerful but only because they pushed the crap innards too hard. All that with a terrible cooling system. Every person I know that bought one melted it within 6 months.

Haven't heard of any reports of heat damage to Dreamcasts. It's usually just the reset issue and that is caused by dirty or bent connectors nothing more.

I had one and the control board "blew", a quick component replacement later and good as new.
    Really the DC is quite robust, aside from dodgy games overworking the GD-Rom leading to medium term wear and tear and the need to replace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,733 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The Gamecube was pretty damn powerful too, IIRC.

It could even give the Xbox a run for its money if done right.

• Advertisement

Gamecube was a fantastic piece of kit far more powerful than the PS2. It could give the Xbox a run for it's money for sure but it definitely couldn't match it. Not many games used the full power of the xbox but the ones that did (Halo 2, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Ninja Gaiden) the Gamecube hadn't a hope of matching. However since the GC wasn't constrained by Direct X API's it meant the Cube could pull off a few graphical effects that the Xbox couldn't as can be seen in it's amazing volumetrically lit fur shaders that have only now been replicated by the latest machines, somereally nice distortion effects and the atmospheric effects and lighting in Resi 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's a shame that this was never released. :( Would have let us all put those overworked GD-ROM drives to rest.

http://the-dreamcast-junkyard.blogspot.com/2009/03/dreamcast-sd-card-adaptor.html

edit - hang on, wtf?!

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=7818275499

Here's a guide on how to buy from that chinese site. Those adapters are dirt cheap! -

http://www.dcisozone.com/tutorial/1427/how-to-buybuild-a-dreamcast-sandisk-adapter.html

Want!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I think it said something about what you need to make your own, I'm not looking again because I'll be in Radionics first thing Monday morning & I really have enough to be doing otherwise.

Either that or you have to assemble it when you buy it? Surely not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

Could be my next mod, they don't look too hard to build :) Plus doing it DIY you can mount the whole thing internally :cool:

sdcard_layout_1.jpg

Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    Could be my next mod, they don't look too hard to build :) Plus doing it DIY you can mount the whole thing internally :cool:

sdcard_layout_1.jpg

So you could pretty much mount it internally and just cut a little slot in the console shell to insert SD cards into?

That sounds very slick indeed. Would be nice to get rid of all those CD-Rs. Err..I mean legetimate games.

o1s1n wrote: »
    So you could pretty much mount it internally and just cut a little slot in the console shell to insert SD cards into?

That sounds very slick indeed. Would be nice to get rid of all those CD-Rs. Err..I mean legetimate games.

Yep, seems a simple enough little circuit to build, I'm not sure I'd ad an access led though...depends if it was going to flashing all though a homebrew game or not.

Master of the Universe

I followed the instructions on that site and managed to buy one of those SD card adapters. Came in at under €10. Not bad at all.

I followed the instructions on that site and managed to buy one of those SD card adapters. Came in at under €10. Not bad at all.

Ah in that case I won't bother, €10 is really a nice price. Let me know when you get it how it performs ;)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

If it works properly that'll be amazing. I wonder how big the whole DC library is? Would it fall under 32GB?

Holy ****, you can get 32GB micro SD cards. How is that possible? Witchcraft so it is -

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/genuine-sandisk-micro-sd-sdhc-card-32gb-class-2-54353

If it works properly that'll be amazing. I wonder how big the whole DC library is? Would it fall under 32GB?

Holy ****, you can get 32GB micro SD cards. How is that possible? Witchcraft so it is -

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/genuine-sandisk-micro-sd-sdhc-card-32gb-class-2-54353

That'd be about 40/50 games, surely there's more than that??

Master of the Universe

Ah crap, you know what? I was thinking of compressed pre extracted sizes :(

Most DC games I've gotten images of are well under 250mb before extraction.

I really want this since it means you can mount full GD-Rom images and not the CD-R games that have reduced sound and video quality and in some cases they completely removed the music altogether (really annoying in Maken X because the music in that game is awesome and there's now only one track through the whole thing).

I really want this since it means you can mount full GD-Rom images and not the CD-R games that have reduced sound and video quality and in some cases they completely removed the music altogether (really annoying in Maken X because the music in that game is awesome and there's now only one track through the whole thing).

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. There are reports of stuttering in certian sequences (obviously timing related), but games for the most part seem to run fine through it. I love stuff like this, because it means not having to worry about poorly made lasers dying on me :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

Your mounting an image for dreamcast read,same as if you where doing it on a comp,lasers,i did say on other thread i came across small stock of them and gave a hack in the general discussion thread on using pc lens,*which probably make it back to using back ups..

Master of the Universe

Well for a tenner you can't really go wrong. Just follow the instructions in that link i posted a page back.

Sign up for an account on http://buyfromtaobao.com/, paste the link of what you want, send them the money via paypal, they then buy it for you and send it on.

Pretty much the same as rinkya.com do with Yahoo Japan auctions.

Thanks. Bit broke at the moment after my car failed the NCT so hope there's some left when I do get money :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

My hyperspin DC collection is 240GB and thats about 200 games, all in .gdi format. Would be great if that adapter supported SDXC as they have 64GB cards and higher on that format.

• Advertisement
Advertisement