Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A life is only worth €500

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Why wasn't she banned from the road. The dirty ******! Twice is a bit of a joke. Surely the judge has the power to ban her from the road!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Driving alone on provisional licence can get fines up to of €1,000.

Shocking that she has not even lost her licence.

I think she deserves jail time or at least be banned from driving.

Its not like its her only offence, previous leaving scene of accident, struck someone lit, kill person + dog. RIP

Irish justice what a joke. €500.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭baldbear

In the article it states, In court she accepted there was nothing obscuring her view but added 'I wouldn't have driven into the woman if I'd seen her.'

Then why the f*uck did she hit this woman? Did this driver Mary McCarthy not get banned from driving? It's obvious she does not have the competency to drive so should be banned.

I wonder if she was an unemployed youth rather than a 52 year old teacher would she be in jail????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

baldbear wrote: »
    In the article it states, In court she accepted there was nothing obscuring her view but added 'I wouldn't have driven into the woman if I'd seen her.'

Then why the f*uck did she hit this woman?

Nothing may have being obscuring her vision but her vision may have being impared. Or else she was not concentrating on the road which is dangerous driving I'm sure. In fact either or would amount to dangerous driving I'd imagine.
    baldbear wrote: »
    I wonder if she was an unemployed youth rather than a 52 year old teacher would she be in jail????

I'm with you on that thought. The overall punishment seems absolutely minimal relative to the severity of the offense. In particular that she had hit a pedestrian before and absconded from the scene of the accident. Article does not draw reference to her showing any signs of remoarse either. Certainly something wrong with the justice system alright.

In court she accepted there was nothing obscuring her view but added 'I wouldn't have driven into the woman if I'd seen her.'
    Oh well THEN, that's ok. Off you go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

FFS. What more do they want. I think you get bigger fines for speeding. She should be off the road permanently.
    1. Leaves the scence of an accident. Pretty bad
    2. Hits someone. That's worse.
    3. Kills a lady and her dog

I'm not sure what else she could do at this stage. Line up some kids outside a creche and see how many she can get? I wonder is she still driving, is she still on a provisional?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I know who this lady is. She is a very small lady and can barely see over the dash of her car. She has had two cars over the years, both are absolutely destroyed from hitting into other cars and driving off. I do not leave my car outside my drive for fear she will hit it as we live in the same neighbourhood and I have seen her driving. This lady should not be on the road for personal reasons she has that I will not mention here. I actually can't believe she has been allowed to continue to drive. Since this accident and long before it was evident she was not fit for the road. The funny thing is I bet she gets cheaper car insurance than me or any other young male drivers for that matter even though I have never had an accident.

A mate of mine got fined 300euro about 4 years ago for not having a full licensed driver with him. How the two punishment, one for not having a full licensed driver and the other for killing someone is so similar is ridiculous. This lady is actually a very nice lady but that is no excuse for not being taken off the road either. This lady should have been told long ago she was not fit for the road. As far as I'm concerned the people that allow her to continue to drive with a provisional license and be totally unfit and uncapable to drive are as much to blame for that ladies death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

General comment only, separate from this tragic (for the deceased, her family, and potentially for other limerick road users) case:

Driving is seen, even by our own judiciary, as an entitlement (don't we all love that word) rather something you should only be allowed to continue to do if you are competent and respectful of other road users.

There's the usual "oh I need to drive for a living/commute to work" pleas used to reduce punishments - Oh yeah? you need to drive to earn your living - shudda thought of that before driving like a gimp ha?
    I have no doubt in my mind (again this is a general comment) that there are many people wandering erratically around our roads in denial of the fact that they badly need glasses (oh they don't suit me) and in denial of the fact that their medication is incompatible with responsible driving (ah sure, doesn't every little pill now say you can't drive..) Many people are only passengers in the drivers seat, they are not active, aware, and actively anticipating other road users behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭nathan184

Who wants to start a petition? This makes my blood boil.

If anyone else has more of the details behind this event please let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

Am I the only one thinking of the ad on tv about doing drugs and driving, where the driver hit a woman on a pedestrian crossing? Only difference is, she got the dog as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

stupidity is no defence wtf

I feel sorry for the old ladies family, our justice system is a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Casperbhoy wrote: »
    stupidity is no defence wtf

I feel sorry for the old ladies family, our justice system is a joke

It's not a justice system, it's a legal system.

I think this quote sums it up pretty well

"This is a court of law, young man, not a court of justice." ~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Dante

She should be jailed.

Alright so we all agree, we are angry. The question is what are we going to do about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

The mind boggles. What kind of message does this send out!!! Third offence FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭DUB777

Its demeaning to call our 'system' a system. Its a farcical joke, the entire country. We should develop an equivalent to The ops team BLACK WATER & send them after every politican who's corrupt, all the bankers regardless & especially all the developers/ builders. Clean the country out from top to bottom.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 tof2006

nathan184 wrote: »
    Alright so we all agree, we are angry. The question is what are we going to do about it?

Unfortunately nothing apart ranting :(
    Actually I am a bit surprised that the old lady family does not appeal the verdict (can they ? ), and I absolutely don't understand the judge, how can you at the same time state she "did not drive with the appropriate care and attention." and allow her to be on the road .... Did the prosecutor ask for a road ban ?

tof2006 wrote: »
    Unfortunately nothing apart ranting :(
    Actually I am a bit surprised that the old lady family does not appeal the verdict (can they ? ), and I absolutely don't understand the judge, how can you at the same time state she "did not drive with the appropriate care and attention." and allow her to be on the road .... Did the prosecutor ask for a road ban ?

That's what I want to know. Was this case just an appeal made by the auld bat against her conviction or was it the entire case around the incident of her murdering someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Check out this story and the the sentences those involved received:

http://newswire99.blogspot.com/2008/07/two-men-jailed-over-emma-woodland-death.html

The woman at fault in the Corbally death should've gotten a similar sentence in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭baldbear

There are alot of inconsistincies in the law. In a similiar case, a bad driver etc. a judge handed down a 10yr ban and a suspended sentence. That female driver wasn't punished IMO.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0330/1224293359653.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Just deleted 3 silly posts from this thread. Nothing too serious, they were just getting a bit too personal and a bit too far off-topic.

Advertisement