Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uncomfortable sofa advise

Options
  • 28-03-2011 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    Looking for some advice here, got a sofa and armchair from a retailer in Dublin before Christmas , from the day it was delivered it's felt a little odd sitting in it, then that turned to discomfort, now I can't sit on it as my back gets sore after 10 minutes, my wife is now in agony after sitting in it for a few evenings watching the soaps! It's juts getting worse, I don't know what to do, we got it on finance and its not paid for until the end of this year, before I contact the retailer is there anything I can say? Do I have any rights here to change it for a different sofa? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Unfortunately, change of mind does not equate to refund/replace.

However, go in and talk to them, they may change it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭mcshape

Unfortunately, change of mind does not equate to refund/replace.

However, go in and talk to them, they may change it for you.

It's in no way a change of mind, the sofa is a perfect size and shape wise for the living room, I just don't think it's build right / fit for purpose , it's hurting us to use!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

probably badly made. Springs may not be set correctly, angle of back not set properly etc etc.

Or it might just be a crap sofa

It really depends on where it was bought.

Stores that have never ending sales usually sell the poorest quality and seem to shy away from taking any responsibility. Other stores like Clerys, Harvey Norman, Arnotts, Local independent Furniture stores etc seem to have a better customer service attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,803 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Go back to the shop and try sitting in the same model. See if it's the same.

If it's the same, not much you can do, legally speaking. You had the opportunity to try the sample before you bought it. Even if you didn't, you've now had the item for quite a while. If it ever went to court, you would probably be deemed to have accepted it. Customer service wise, I can't see how they can really change it. The expense of the item is just too great. But maybe there is something they could do.

If the feel of it is different from the display model, then there could be a problem with the construction of it. It may not have been fitted together properly in the factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you don't get anywhere with the shop, try putting a couple of half inch bits of wood or similar under the front feet, see if a slight change of angle improves it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

The same thing happend to me when the sofa was made there was not enough pading put it to the foot rest so when id have me feet up it would be sore.

The shop should be able to get someone out to fix your sofa the shop i was dealing with got someone out and they added more pading to the sofa and it is a lot better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭missgroovy21

Ring the retailer they will have you on file esp if you bought it in clerys. unfortunately if you got it delivered you cannot get any money back on delivery and if the store do take it back you'll have to find a way to bring it in yourself or they cud send a currior company 2 you but you'll have to pay to send it back......If the chair is not damaged it any way i cant see therebeing a problem just look for your receipt 2

note: under consumer law you are not entitled to a refund if you change your mind but you could always say you think the chair is "faulty" then they would have to change it for you...

I work in retail......some places are nicer than others when it comes to returns!!!!

Advertisement