Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crime in area shooting up

Options
  • 28-03-2011 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

I live in what used to be a decent area but recently there has been a lot of crime in it. It's seems to have started when the new Luas line came in but lately it's gotten really bad. There has been 4 break ins within the last week, cars are being robbed, local shops seem to be getting constantly robbed, a shooting, the area has gone to hell. About 3 years ago it would have been seen as upper class and a very nice place to live but recently scum bags have over run it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Whats the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Cabinteely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Im gonna give a guess of Leopardstown. I was on the LUAS on Friday night. It was littered with undesirable kids jumping on and off at Random spots. It seems like its a thing to do for them. When i was going through the likes of Glencairn, The Gallops and Central Park it was clear these youths were not from the area and were rather undesirable.

In terms of more malicious criminals. The LUAS has opened up a new pathway and catchment area for Burglaries. For example i am from Ballybrack. If i was a burglar i would burgle houses from the surrounding areas. Now i can jump on the LUAS and go to Leopardstown, Ballyogan and anywhere else on the LUAS line and vice versa with burglars who are on the LUAS line could come out to Cherrywood, Balllybrack, Rathmichael and Killiney. The advantage of this is that the local garda probably wont know who are and what you are up to.

PS: I am not a burglar :pac: To beat the burglars, you must think like a burglar :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I am not convinced that burglars will follow the luas line.

At least now you have a glimpse of the everyday reality for decent people who live in more deprived areas, that have their fill of knackers like that and have to put up with it and worse day in day out.

Morlar wrote: »

At least now you have a glimpse of the everyday reality for decent people who live in more deprived areas, that have their fill of knackers like that and have to put up with it and worse day in day out.

I think thats a consolation people can do without ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

maybe the well-to-dos are having to do some not-so-well acts to maintain the lifestyle they've become accustom to? Or, seen as a better off area the criminals are popping over. The rotters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Pauleta wrote: »
    I think thats a consolation people can do without ;)

I think a little perspective never hurt anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Dublindude69

Pauleta wrote: »
    Im gonna give a guess of Leopardstown. I was on the LUAS on Friday night. It was littered with undesirable kids jumping on and off at Random spots. It seems like its a thing to do for them. When i was going through the likes of Glencairn, The Gallops and Central Park it was clear these youths were not from the area and were rather undesirable.
    Yeah these stops have become a big problem. I think they need to have security on the luas going through these stops at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Its well known that the Luas has opened up new areas to petty criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Of course the LUAS is going to introduce new area's for criminals to gain easier access to.

While the issue with the youths around certain area's is the same for any major public service in any country in the world. Public services aren't jsut to provide for the rich and well-to-do and if they are put off or in fear of their furcoats being painted then I'm sure that a private service like taxi's can look after them no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

To be honest I would imagine break ins are more common in wealthier areas as a rule, I could be wrong though, the Guards refuse to publish crime statistics by area.

Op I find it a little hard to believe an 'upper class' (not even middle class) area could turn into a ****hole in the space of 4 years. If it's the area I'm thinking of the LUAS probably has brought anti social behaviour but I can't imagine burglars hopping on the LUAS after robbing a house? Surely they'd have a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭rememberthis

I live in the Leopardstown area, right next to one of the new Luas stops. Already since it's opened, there has been young kids hanging around, being completely wreckless with property, but each time, security come over the announcer and tell them to scatter before they call the police.. now this doesn't stop them coming back. I do wonder where these kids parents are all the same.

By the way, I don't think it's about being upper/middle class etc., I just happen to live in a nice place for which I work hard to pay for... it doesn't mean I deserve any more or less to be scared of being robbed...

And the amount of teenagers, like 14,15 years old, when I am waiting for a Luas that talk about getting drunk the night before etc., that's more worrying to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jacek1

thats frustrating. I was thinking of renting in this area as its close to my work place.
    Where are these kids from if they are not from the area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Op I find it a little hard to believe an 'upper class' (not even middle class) area could turn into a ****hole in the space of 4 years. If it's the area I'm thinking of the LUAS probably has brought anti social behaviour but I can't imagine burglars hopping on the LUAS after robbing a house? Surely they'd have a car?

My friend's car got robbed last week, broken windows and all. In Foxrock village :rolleyes: No idea if they came on the Luas or if locals are getting credit crunched, but the stuff they took you could easily put into your pockets and walk away.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Morlar wrote: »
    I dunno M, I've seen similar before with bus routes. EG mates of mine who live in the sticks of Meath have a bus route going through their area. The road immediately parallel either side of said bus route has had regular burglaries and car thefts. The roads deeper into the sticks either side have had no problems. You could literally leave your car with the keys in it. Scum are lazy and opportunistic. I've also heard this from people who've been long term residents in areas where the LUAS runs now and they've noted this increase. Mates who are Guards have told me similar.
    That's true enough. If you live in a nice area(tm) the scum are generally only tourists, you usually don't have to live beside them. Middle class scum of which there are a number tend to be quieter.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I would hazard a guess that Cabinteely is where the OP is referring to. Heard of an awful amount of trouble there over the past few months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Maybe the breakins etc are up because of the recession. It's what tends to happen when a lot of people lose their jobs.

Clanket wrote: »
    Maybe the breakins etc are up because of the recession. It's what tends to happen when a lot of people lose their jobs.

People dont start breaking into houses when they lose their jobs. People breaking into houses are careered criminals. A devious malicious person breaks into a house, not somebody down on his luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

So you're saying there's no link between recessions and increased crime rates?

Granted there may not be many people who lose their jobs who will start breaking into houses, but there will always be some. Criminals that for whatever reason stopped robbing and found themselves a job. But when they lost the job go back to robbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Dean Roche

I live in what used to be a decent area but recently there has been a lot of crime in it. It's seems to have started when the new Luas line came in but lately it's gotten really bad. There has been 4 break ins within the last week, cars are being robbed, local shops seem to be getting constantly robbed, a shooting, the area has gone to hell. About 3 years ago it would have been seen as upper class and a very nice place to live but recently scum bags have over run it.

It’s not just Dublin that has massive crime it’s across the whole republic. The really embarrassing thing about all this is we have a small 4 million population but a massive crime rate. Which gives the conclusion the Irish as a race is prone to violence and crime. I have always said this. The sooner people face up to this the better…

Even Most of the chavs in the UK are 3rd and 2nd generation Irish from an Irish catholic bloodline, just look at Liverpool Manchester and Glasgow!

Want proof!.... In Northern Ireland most of criminals are Irish Catholics .Not because they Catholics, it’s because they are Irish Celts... Crime, thug life and violence is breed into the native Irish Celt.

Not all Irish people are like this, but the Irish race does have much more scummy types than any other native European stock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Quentinkrisp

Dean Roche wrote: »

It’s not just Dublin that has massive crime it’s across the whole republic. The really embarrassing thing about all this is we have a small 4 million population but a massive crime rate. Which gives the conclusion the Irish as a race is prone to violence and crime. I have always said this. The sooner people face up to this the better…

Even Most of the chavs in the UK are 3rd and 2nd generation Irish from an Irish catholic bloodline, just look at Liverpool Manchester and Glasgow!

Want proof!.... In Northern Ireland most of criminals are Irish Catholics .Not because they Catholics, it’s because they are Irish Celts... Crime, thug life and violence is breed into the native Irish Celt.

Not all Irish people are like this, but the Irish race does have much more scummy types than any other native European stock.

Links+sources, please:rolleyes:

That post is completely wrong in every regard. While Ireland certainly has problems with alcohol related violence and a growing organised crime issue we're a long, long, long way off the top of the European crime chart. In fact we're relatively close to the bottom. In general Europe has a very high crime rate but we're still lower than Uk, France, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Germany, Norway, Russia, Hungary, Cyprus, Italy, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Portugal, Poland, Spain and Latvia. We're not even in the top 10.

http://www.forbes.com/2008/07/15/europe-capitals-crime-forbeslife-cx_po_0715crime_slide_11.html?thisSpeed=undefined

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_tot_cri_percap-crime-total-crimes-per-capita

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

They need to hire more of those Luas robocops and send them out that way. They'll sort them out ;)
    Speaking of them, is it me or is their less of them these days? When I did see them recently they were patrolling stops like Balally during an afternoon, not exactly crime central haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

That post is completely wrong in every regard. While Ireland certainly has problems with alcohol related violence and a growing organised crime issue we're a long, long, long way off the top of the European crime chart. In fact we're relatively close to the bottom. In general Europe has a very high crime rate but we're still lower than Uk, France, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Germany, Norway, Russia, Hungary, Cyprus, Italy, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Portugal, Poland, Spain and Latvia. We're not even in the top 10.

http://www.forbes.com/2008/07/15/europe-capitals-crime-forbeslife-cx_po_0715crime_slide_11.html?thisSpeed=undefined

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_tot_cri_percap-crime-total-crimes-per-capita

You probably shouldn't rely on 11-13 year old data.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1541699/Britain-tops-European-crime-league.html

http://www.98fm.com/2010/category-news-sport/ireland-admits-worst-knife-crime-rate-in-western-europe/

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/dublin-murder-rate-is-one-of-europes-highest-1589449.html

http://crossroadsmag.eu/2007/11/netherlands-second-only-to-uk-ireland-for-crime-in-europe/

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article620860.ece

Anecdotally, things have gotten much worse around where I live in recent years. Burglaries, car thefts, muggings and violent attacks are all more common.

Tragedy wrote: »

I didn't realise it was that far out of date :eek: I was trying to find something a bit more reputable than newspaper reports. To be fair though, a lot of your links are 5-6 years old as well, a lot could have changed since. Violent crime has increased in Italy and Germany hugely in the last 2 or 3 years apparently.

They're mostly referring to a (I think) 2005 study. Doesn't seem to be much newer than that, past increasing knife crime and homicides in Ireland.

CSO publishes figures annually, but:
    Can we trust that the figures aren't being massaged for political purposes?

Links+sources, please:rolleyes:

All you have to do is look around! Drug dealing, Shootings, stabbings violent assaults and armed robbery is rampant! In the last few weeks alone they been people beating and knifed on the streets in broad daylight! Young school kid lost is lung in a brutal knife attack 2 weeks ago, Armed robberies and tiger raids in as little time as a couple of weeks but that just how it is in peaceful low crime Ireland!

Safe and low crime Ireland is a myth and a big lie!

And if you want to know Ireland does not have any accurate crime stats …but why would they! God forbid if the truth was to get out!

You have to keep in mind that this is only an island with roughly 4 million natives. When you see noticeably high crime in a small country with small population you can reach a conclusion that the breeding stock of that country has a criminal tendency.

As for links I could post literally 1000s of horror storeys on this crime ridden little island but I just don’t have the time… all you have to do is see hear and look around… its called basic observation!

All just an other day in low crime and peaceful Ireland

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/school-boy-stabbed-on-lunch-hour-1902774.html

http://www.tv3.ie/videos.php?video=27742&locID=1.2.141&date=2010-10-04&date_mode=&page=1&show_cal=&newspanel=&showspanel=&web_only=&full_episodes=

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1017/1224256900212.html

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-207202041.html

http://www.rte.ie/news/2003/0529/student.html

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0922/barryp.html

http://lostchildreninthewilderness.wordpress.com/2010/05/07/dublin-drimnagh-man-david-curran-19-found-guilty-of-double-murder-updated/

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-137358764.html

http://www.theirishworld.com/article.asp?SubSection_Id=2&Article_Id=4349

You have to keep in mind that this is only an island with roughly 4 million natives. When you see noticeably high crime in a small country with small population you can reach a conclusion that the breeding stock of that country has a criminal tendency.
    Utter nonsense.
    Small, ineffectual and poorly trained police force with a failed justice and penal system explains our crime statistics, not that we have a 'genetic criminal tendency;.

They are no accurate crime stats on Irish crime!

In truth this country is full of thieves and uppity menacing violent ferals, criminals and various other lowlifes and degenerates across the board. Even in the lowest parts of Eastern Europe don’t have the kind of super scum we have!

The UKs crime rate is higher due to the fact that it’ has a much much much bigger population and it is much more multicultural now. You can fit Irelands tiny native population in London city alone lol!

If a profile was done on native brits and native Irish I would wager everything that the Irish would come out much higher in the crime charts. The Irish also contributes massively to Britain’s crime rates btw. The Irish Liverpool scouser has got that bad reputation for a reason! Plus the Irish turned Glasgow into a violent crime ridden hellhole.

All the European countries that you have mentioned don’t have scangers and scumbags in them that we have. I have yet to see an Italian ballymun or a Swiss moyross or a finish southill. Scangers are not a Germanic trait; they are not med or Slav trait ether. Only in the native Irish Celt gene pool that vile breed can be found in! I have travelled and lived in a good few European countries and I have yet to find the ultimate plug ugly menacing ferals and scum that you find in the native Irish Celt gene pool!

I am not broad stroking and generalising but too often Irish males are mentally unstable, unrestrained, ugly, lairy faced menacing, dirty, violent and prone to crime and being degenerate. They are not one single race in Europe that comes across as dangerous, dirty low or as menacing as the Irish native underclass! They also have a much big love for alcohol and drug abuse.

They are a lot of very good Irish people in this country but as I said they are more scummy kinds with the Irish than they are with any other native European group! Genetics comes into play on all this.

Wont lower crime rates and a more intelligent progressive energetic nation? Pay Irish woman to have children from fitter European stock like brits, Germans, Scandinavians, Italians est. and breed out that horrible old wild uncivilised lairy troll faced Celt , its long long long overdue!. I have always said this!

The introduced genetic material will do the height of good. Better skin, Refined symmetrical cranium and bone structure, bigger frontal cortex, better looking over all and most important fitter metal health and intelligent. Irish woman mainly don’t have children from more intelligent fitter stock, so paying them a nice sum of money to do so would do the trick! It would work out costly but would pay its self off a million times over for life in the end!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Dean Roche, though there may be a high crime rate in Ireland, without any research on the matter, please refrain from implying a correlation between geneology and criminal tendencies. There is a lot of reasons for high crime rates in certain areas, social background, upbringing, drug dependencies, unemployment, plus loads of others, but I have never seen any research or statistics linking geneology to crime and without anything to back you up you are being offensive and racist. Please refrain from further comments of that nature.

Can everyone please continue on the topic of crime increasing (or not) in South Dublin? Otherwise I'll lock the thread.

Advertisement