Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegalizing alcohol - would you be in favour of such a move

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

SH!T NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

How else would I find the guts to tell my boss to go fcuk himself?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Well then why is cannabis illegal?

The question is not why is it illegal but does it's illegality serve society. A lot of people seem to think it doesn't. Certainly wouldn't with alcohol as the Yanks proved in the 30s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Not untill we invent a way to make Homer Simpson real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Well then why is cannabis illegal?

It shouldn't be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

.. sure im a semi alcoholic as it is..

That's the first half-step on the road to recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

They say alcohol in moderation is good for you - like a glass of red wine a day. Problem here in this country is that many people do not know how to drink sensibly. Many would go out at weekends and binge drink. Some people who go out and do know how to drink sensibly may end up being intoxicated without wishing to due to other factors such as tiredness, hunger, stress, menstruation which leads to alcohol being absorbed into the bloodstream quicker.

The effects of alcohol in these cases could cause such things as:
    - alcohol poisoning
    - assaults, and rape
    - more prone to sillyiness which could result in harm of oneself.
    - more vulnerable to peer pressure - could lead to taking hardcore drugs more easily such as ecstasy, cocaine
    - unprotected sex
    - unwanted pregnancies
    - sexually transmitted diseases
    - A+E overloads
    - drunk driving, which could lead to death of oneself and others

Alcohol is addictive and some may become alcoholics which would result in other problems.
    Would you be in favour of such a move

I don't agree with any of these. Just saying. but my biggest objection to this:

Do I want a barely qualified, elected smoothtalker in a suit to make these decisions for me, a guy whom historically would be corrupt, self-serving, and generally misguided?

Nope. Me and my family can make our own fcuking decisions TYVM!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Squirm

Ok, ignoring completely the actual practicalities of illegalising alcohol or the potential side-effects (homebrew and the danger of everyone drinking 80 proof moonshine instead!)...

... in a way, yes I would.

I am not a big drinker anymore and I find it difficult to organise activities with my friends that do not involve alcohol. When I suggest going for dinner, I am regularly met with reluctance, on the grounds that no-one has any money and everyone is going out that night and needs cash for booze and taxis etc. And organising day-time activities can be difficult too, when everyone is hungover at the weekend! Of course I am not talking about all my friends, all the time, but it's something I am noticing more and more, the less I drink. I go to pubs and have a few and I am not against going to pubs and not drinking, but it would be nice to place an emphasis on something else for a while.

That said, it is an absolutely bogus suggestion that would never, in a month of Sundays, be remotely realistic or feasible.

pmcmahon wrote: »
    so instead of drunk,violent,immature 18 year olds running about you'd have stronger more drunk,violent and immature 21 year olds?,makes sense.

Plenty of drunk, violent and immature 41 year olds in the center of my town every wekend. We need to educate our adult society on moderate alcohol use before we can give them the responsibility of educating their kids by setting the right example.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

the amount of money the government gets from alcohol tax means your outrageous idea will never happen. they should legalise cannabis, make dublin the new amsterdam, and reap in the extra tourism and tax sales (and cookie sales)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

not a chance and I dont even like alcohol all that much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Only a person with the IQ of a chimp would think it a good idea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    It shouldn't be.

to be honest,i don't think i have met anybody at a cannabis leagalisation march that would make me want to legalise it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

There was talk of banning cheap alcohol from supermarkets.
    That probably does have bad impact, when cheap booze is readily available.

Can't remember if it was France who started that, and England wanted to adopt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I wouldn't support the banning of alcohol. But I most certainly would support the banning of people who abuse alcohol from ever receiving organ transplants that are needed as a direct result of the abuse of alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭whiteonion

We should raise the drinking age to 21 in this country and also allow the shops to only sell it until 8pm and not at all on Sundays. I am not in favour of a total ban of alcohol at this stage.

whiteonion wrote: »
    We should raise the drinking age to 21 in this country and also allow the shops to only sell it until 8pm and not at all on Sundays. I am not in favour of a total ban of alcohol at this stage.

Raising the age limit wouldn't help in the slightest. Neither would controlling the selling. Irish people don't understand the ability to limit their drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

what would delaying sales hours do? that could only make people stock up and drink even more. 21 would be a bad move, it should probably be lowered if anything. if it wasnt a taboo with teens, it wouldnt be so tempting, and maybe theyd have a few beers instead of a shoulder of vodka in their back pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm old enough to remember "holy hour" on Sunday and it wasn't that long ago.
    Pubs didn't shut down but they turned off the lights and closed the doors

Realy, whiteonion Ireland has had strict rules and it never ever worked

pmcmahon wrote: »
    to be honest,i don't think i have met anybody at a cannabis leagalisation march that would make me want to legalise it

I've met plenty of people in practically every area of life that would make me want to make alcohol illegal. But I know those people don't represent your average drinker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Well, you would need to ban sugar and yeast as well.
    I'm growing poppies this year, and baccy.
    Wonderfull how some things aren't illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

I think it would be a good thing to ban nosey self righteous do feckin gooders from proposing anything that has any effect on that which others choose to do. Don't like alcohol, super, don't drink it. Don't like Gay people, goody, don't have sex with them. Don't like smoking, right so, feck off and don't smoke, but also please feck off and sh1te from telling me what I should and shouldn't do, ya home drinking alcho, in the closet, smoking in the shed, sadomasochistic repressed hypocrites. Or somthing like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

geetar wrote: »
    what would delaying sales hours do? that could only make people stock up and drink even more. 21 would be a bad move, it should probably be lowered if anything. if it wasnt a taboo with teens, it wouldnt be so tempting, and maybe theyd have a few beers instead of a shoulder of vodka in their back pocket.

+1 million

Maybe in France they drink plenty but it's a few glasses of wine with dinner, even with they are 12 or 13. Yes, young
    Not abstaining for three days and going crazy on Friday night as goes on here. Or off the beer for November and going loopers in December
    In the end the French and the Irish might drink the same amount but one binge drinks it and the other has a few glasses every night

+1 million

Maybe in France they drink plenty but it's a few glasses of wine with dinner, even with they are 12 or 13. Yes, young
    Not abstaining for three days and going crazy on Friday night as goes on here
    In the end the French and the Irish might drink the same amount but one binge drinks it and the other has a few glasses every night

It's not even that, though. It's the fact that most people either start in their teens and as such they're drinking to "get drunk" rather than just for the sake of drinking.

I nearly was the same when I started at 18 and it took me 3 years to just realize it's better to drink for the sake of drinking when I go out instead of drinking to get drunk. Doesn't make much difference in the night for me (though I may notice I'm surounded with more cu*ts then usual) but I'm still enjoying the night the same.

Problem is, even if people wait till they';re 18, their friends get thme into the youth binge drinking method here in Ireland and it sucks.

But yes, a glass of wine at dinner or something would be ideal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

[Rasta] wrote: »
    we'd just end up with 1000x more druggies :pac:
    so I'd rather see drunk people than thousands of acid heads lurking around jumping people for cash

This is the most retarded post I've read in a looooooong time..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

Definately not. We've no jobs, no money & no hope........and you want to take away the alcohol too. :eek: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Its all we've got left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Why should alcohol remain legal when cannabis which would be less damaging to society remains illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

They say alcohol in moderation is good for you - like a glass of red wine a day. Problem here in this country is that many people do not know how to drink sensibly. Many would go out at weekends and binge drink. Some people who go out and do know how to drink sensibly may end up being intoxicated without wishing to due to other factors such as tiredness, hunger, stress, menstruation which leads to alcohol being absorbed into the bloodstream quicker.

The effects of alcohol in these cases could cause such things as:
    - alcohol poisoning
    - assaults, and rape
    - more prone to sillyiness which could result in harm of oneself.
    - more vulnerable to peer pressure - could lead to taking hardcore drugs more easily such as ecstasy, cocaine
    - unprotected sex
    - unwanted pregnancies
    - sexually transmitted diseases
    - A+E overloads
    - drunk driving, which could lead to death of oneself and others

Alcohol is addictive and some may become alcoholics which would result in other problems.
    Would you be in favour of such a move

hahaha

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Why should alcohol remain legal when cannabis which would be less damaging to society remains illegal.
    There is a tax on alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

In a perfect society nobody would require alcohol.. so let's illegalise society

Advertisement