Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegalizing alcohol - would you be in favour of such a move

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

Alcohol killed my father....AND IT RAPED MY MOTHER!

Was he hit by a Guinness truck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭DUB777

Yea it should be prohibited, the trouble it causes in pubs, streets & especially hospitals. My sympathy is with the patients and med staff- nurses/doctors & ambulance staff who have to put up with the s#ite week in week out. They're inundated with drunken idiots who cant handle their drink or don't know when to stop, whichever the case may be. The hospital waiting lists are dire as they are with out these clowns causing more congestion with their acts of idiocy injuring themselves and others. If they knew now what they know about drink back when 'marijuana' was prohibited i'm fairly sure they'd ban drink too.

You can fill a house with 50 smokers & fill another with 20 drunks for a weekend & I guarantee the house with the drunks will be in far worse state than the smokers. It would make a very interesting Big brother experiment if any stinking rich producers are out there with an empty schedule and a few quid to invest:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

There is a tax on alcohol.
    Tax cannabis so, fine by me. Yous can shove it up your bottoms if you like, as long as you don't try to shove it up mine. I promise not to try and shove it up yours, are we all good? Same pretty much goes for everything in my view, do as you like, just leave me do what I like. I won't crap in your garden if you don't crap in mine. I have no time whatsoever for the "down with that" brigade.
    MYOB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

They cant tax cannabis.
    Solnskaya, I agree with you. We should all be allowed to go to hell in our own fashion.
    And if we are not allowed to, then, well, we are just going to do it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

No i'd be out of a job and my social life would be ruined!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭DUB777

Here here Farmer Green:cool:
    I second that statement:D regarding hell & our own fashion:D for any infracting admins watching over me.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

The fallacy of prohibiting anything is that it implies people will abide by it and thereby magically make problems go away.

Yeah that will surely work. Lets ban driving while we are at it. It kills people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

There is a tax on alcohol.

So the government allows society to run amok with alcohol, in order to raise taxes despite the damages in which alcohol causes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 kuno

Why ban it?

Just outlaw being drunk in a public place. Have a team of gardai drive around in huge container trucks with those metal things you park your bikes in attached to the floor. As drunks are collected they are shackled to the metal yokes and have to stay in the trucks as they do their rounds until they pass a breathalyser test. When they´re sober they´re turfed out and have to make their own way home.

Shackled to all those smelly, vomiting, lecherous (including the women here!) for the best part of the night in a moving lorry everytime you got pissed and made a nuisance of yourself would put most people off being drunk in public.

If they were a real arse while drunk they have to stay and clean the truck with their own clothes.

Just a suggestion.

Bet you anything the EU wouldn´t allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Prohibition doesnt work. People have always tried to alter their mental state with various substances and always will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

yes - my tommy gun has been gathering dust as of late

but seriously OP : whats her name and what'd she do to ya ?

ilovesleep wrote: »
    So the government allows society to run amok with alcohol, in order to raise taxes despite the damages in which alcohol causes.
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

DUB777 wrote: »
    Yea it should be prohibited, the trouble it causes in pubs, streets & especially hospitals. My sympathy is with the patients and med staff- nurses/doctors & ambulance staff who have to put up with the s#ite week in week out. They're inundated with drunken idiots who cant handle their drink or don't know when to stop, whichever the case may be. The hospital waiting lists are dire as they are with out these clowns causing more congestion with their acts of idiocy injuring themselves and others. If they knew now what they know about drink back when 'marijuana' was prohibited i'm fairly sure they'd ban drink too.

You can fill a house with 50 smokers & fill another with 20 drunks for a weekend & I guarantee the house with the drunks will be in far worse state than the smokers. It would make a very interesting Big brother experiment if any stinking rich producers are out there with an empty schedule and a few quid to invest:p
    Yeah but the obnoxious self-righteous bollox coming from weed smokers negates any positives it has over alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

kuno wrote: »
    Why ban it?

Just outlaw being drunk in a public place. Have a team of gardai drive around in huge container trucks with those metal things you park your bikes in attached to the floor. As drunks are collected they are shackled to the metal yokes and have to stay in the trucks as they do their rounds until they pass a breathalyser test. When they´re sober they´re turfed out and have to make their own way home.

Shackled to all those smelly, vomiting, lecherous (including the women here!) for the best part of the night in a moving lorry everytime you got pissed and made a nuisance of yourself would put most people off being drunk in public.

If they were a real arse while drunk they have to stay and clean the truck with their own clothes.

Just a suggestion.

Bet you anything the EU wouldn´t allow it.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1994/en/act/pub/0002/sec0004.html#zza2y1994s4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭UsernameInUse

No man, woman, grouping or Government can ever impede a market where there are willing buyers and willing sellers - that, is a basic concept of economics. It doesn't work for drugs; why would it work for alcohol. The ironic piece about this proposal is that alcohol may lead to violent behaviour and in turn, to crime. Well, what about the organised crime syndicates in the 1920's who recognised a valuable commodity in alcohol? Prohibition in the United States did not work and everyone accepts it has been a total failure having been repealed thirteen years later but not before seeing thousands die at the hands of the chaos the new breed of criminal, namely Al Capone and Co inflicted on society.

It's worrying to say the least that such a thought comes to the mind of us - what are their agendas? To further isolate human freedom and the civil liberties we each are 'supposed' to hold? When someone, namely a group of persons has the power to control, dictate or confiscate an item or commodity you hold dear, then that is not Freedom. That's tyranny and we're slipping further into it's grasp which each and every comment that claims a similar tone like this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

I WOULD BURN DOWN THE DAIL IF THEY EVER EVEN TRIED IT.

for real. i am not even joking.
    be gob dont burn down the the dail if alchol is ever banned sure ya'd be able to get a drink in the bar there sure isent the dail the house of corruption:D:eek: enda pour us another jemmy there on the rocks ahhhhh great stuff:D:D

Arn't there places that already ban alcohol! Yes, they're in the middle east!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

kuno wrote: »
    Why ban it?

Just a suggestion.

Mad craic on the "drunk bus" rolling around town with loads of other random drunk people! Count me in, that sounds like the best night out in ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 kuno

Thanks RichieC will enjoy that site when am less tired.
    However it had some typos and omissions.

4.—(1) It shall be an offence for any person to be present in any public place while intoxicated to such an extent as would give rise to a reasonable apprehension that he might endanger embarrass himself, endanger or irritate the feck out any other person in his vicinity.

There, fixed it for them.

It worked really well in the USA i suppose..

oh wait.... :rolleyes:

Oh and also. "Illegalizing" isn't a word. Try prohibit, ban, outlaw, forbid.
    it dident work well in the USA it led to widespread bootlegging and murder:mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement

There's a flipside to this argument.

Instead of "illegalising" alcohol - let's decriminalise drugs. Now that, would be real progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Yeah but the obnoxious self-righteous bollox coming from weed smokers negates any positives it has over alcohol.

To be fair, that guy isn't complaining about cannabis smokers clogging up A&E.

theavenger wrote: »
    Hell yeah, then we can do bachelors walk empire.

Is Steve Buscemi free?:D
    what??????????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

@Usernameinuse

The government is obstructing cannabis and there are willing buyers and sellers of cannabis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

it dident work well in the USA it led to widespread bootlegging and murder:mad::mad::mad:

The ":rolleyes:" generally means sarcasm.

He was being sarcastic.

ilovesleep wrote: »
    @Usernameinuse

The government is obstructing cannabis and there are willing buyers and sellers of cannabis.

Yes, they are obstructing cannabis and there are willing buyers and sellers. But the Government cannot stop drug dealing ultimately, the market still operates but at a disadvantage to the drug users. When a substance is considered illegal, the black market will drive up prices. So, in essence, the entire drug market is overwhelmingly inflated at the expense of the tax-payers who must, as Government seeks fit, fund a great deal of their hard earned money to extra Garda units to investigate these victimless crimes.

It's nonsense but what politician campaigning on such a logical platform would get elected by the electorate?

JHK's dad was a rum runner, and the money and 'influence' gained
    from that elected an Irish Catholic to the presidency.
    So its not all bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

[Rasta] wrote: »
    we'd just end up with 1000x more druggies :pac:
    so I'd rather see drunk people than thousands of acid heads lurking around jumping people for cash

I've never known of anyone on acid to jump someone for their cash :confused:

pmcmahon wrote: »
    so instead of drunk,violent,immature 18 year olds running about you'd have stronger more drunk,violent and immature 21 year olds?,makes sense.
    sure kids would get drink no matter what the legal age was so it would be a waste of time they do it in america sure and the legal age is 21 iv lived there so iv seen it:eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

JHK's dad was a rum runner, and the money and 'influence' gained
    from that elected an Irish Catholic to the presidency.
    So its not all bad.

sweet!! make it illegal so we might have a yank president in 40 years!

Advertisement