Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegalizing alcohol - would you be in favour of such a move

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Huh wot, thats nothing mate, we had a English Pope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

pmcmahon wrote: »
    to be honest,i don't think i have met anybody at a cannabis leagalisation march that would make me want to legalise it
    sure who cares wheather cannibas is legal or not sure if ya want it ya can get it no problem:D:D ok have tooo roll a splifff here and pour another drink:eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

Solnskaya wrote: »
    I think it would be a good thing to ban nosey self righteous do feckin gooders from proposing anything that has any effect on that which others choose to do. Don't like alcohol, super, don't drink it. Don't like Gay people, goody, don't have sex with them. Don't like smoking, right so, feck off and don't smoke, but also please feck off and sh1te from telling me what I should and shouldn't do, ya home drinking alcho, in the closet, smoking in the shed, sadomasochistic repressed hypocrites. Or somthing like that.
    yay i aggree with ye lets drink together slainte crack open another can:D:D:D

Tuesday.
    Starts now.
    But what the heck, its the end of Monday and I've had a drink.
    Wednesday tomorrow and its downhill all the way to Friday night.
    For the booze and the girls.

It's not even that, though. It's the fact that most people either start in their teens and as such they're drinking to "get drunk" rather than just for the sake of drinking.

I nearly was the same when I started at 18 and it took me 3 years to just realize it's better to drink for the sake of drinking when I go out instead of drinking to get drunk. Doesn't make much difference in the night for me (though I may notice I'm surounded with more cu*ts then usual) but I'm still enjoying the night the same.

Problem is, even if people wait till they';re 18, their friends get thme into the youth binge drinking method here in Ireland and it sucks.

But yes, a glass of wine at dinner or something would be ideal.
    i love a bottle of wine with my dinner:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

ilovesleep wrote: »
    They say alcohol in moderation is good for you - like a glass of red wine a day. Problem here in this country is that many people do not know how to drink sensibly. Many would go out at weekends and binge drink. Some people who go out and do know how to drink sensibly may end up being intoxicated without wishing to due to other factors such as tiredness, hunger, stress, menstruation which leads to alcohol being absorbed into the bloodstream quicker.

The effects of alcohol in these cases could cause such things as:
    - alcohol poisoning
    - assaults, and rape
    - more prone to sillyiness which could result in harm of oneself.
    - more vulnerable to peer pressure - could lead to taking hardcore drugs more easily such as ecstasy, cocaine
    - unprotected sex
    - unwanted pregnancies
    - sexually transmitted diseases
    - A+E overloads
    - drunk driving, which could lead to death of oneself and others

Alcohol is addictive and some may become alcoholics which would result in other problems.
    Would you be in favour of such a move

all of these things are byproducts of stupidity, not alcohol

lets just burn the thicks

i love a bottle of wine with my dinner:D
    If I ever did that, I would think I had become a pretentious twat.
    Other people, from backgrounds as poor as mine think it is sophisticated.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭silverspoon

I really wish people would stop using the word 'illegalizing'. :( (The 'z' in particular bothers me more than I'd like to admit)

Also, OP, do you really think banning alcohol would actually stop people drinking? I'm sorry but I'll have to introduce you to a little thing I like to call the booming drugs racket going on. Prohibition just causes deregulation. And a new wave of criminals.

Also, I don't understand why people think raising the legal age to 21 is a good idea either. It just prolongs the dickheadedness of underage, don't-know-what-a-measure-is-but-it's-at-least-a-third-of-the-bottle drinking that isn't even informed by the dubious but at least somewhat structured drinking habits acquired from going to pubs and such. If people want to whinge about the stupid way in which teens drink, well they got it somewhere. Alcohol is made into this big fervent secret, this mad great thing that is a real rite of passage into adulthood, when it's really not that great at all.

I suppose here in particular, our national relationship with alcohol hangs on the fact that we can't be relaxed about it. We're conscious of two things - that alcoholism is a huge problem and always was here, and that alcohol is a big part of our national identity (rightly or wrongly). So it's difficult for it to be a casual issue for us because it's been so central to our culture, and also central as a sort of national vice, where everyone knows someone who's been totally destroyed by it.

But banning it, or putting further age restrictions on it will only fetishise the whole thing more. There aren't really any easy answers - it comes down to re-education, to re-evaluate the role of alcohol in our society; the problem is, yeah, easy to say, but how do we do that???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

No, to hell with this business of telling people they can't do things to themselves. Let them take responsibility for their own actions and their own bodies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I'd raise lower the legal age to 21 16 and educate young people on responsible drinking.
    fyp

• Advertisement

No, to hell with this business of telling people they can't do things to themselves. Let them take responsibility for their own actions and their own bodies.
    Chico.
    That is exactly what they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

banning alcohol was tried and failed in usa......what makes ya think it would work in ireland (a nation famous for its fondness of a tipple or 3)

seriously it would be cause the death of many politicians if they brought in a booze ban.
    Reasons why.
    1. MORE unemployment as pubs clubs, & breweries would be forced to shutdown
    2. MORE crime as drink dealers would spring up everywhere selling methylated spirits, petrol and many other nasty thing pretending to be booze.
    3. LESS tax revenue being generated by legal businesses
    4. MORE sober people to realise how sh1t ireland really is and thus not come here (tourism dies)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

banning alcohol was tried and failed in usa......what makes ya think it would work in ireland (a nation famous for its fondness of a tipple or 3)

seriously it would be cause the death of many politicians if they brought in a booze ban.
    Reasons why.
    1. MORE unemployment as pubs clubs, & breweries would be forced to shutdown
    2. MORE crime as drink dealers would spring up everywhere selling methylated spirits, petrol and many other nasty thing pretending to be booze.
    3. LESS tax revenue being generated by legal businesses
    4. MORE sober people to realise how sh1t ireland really is and thus not come here (tourism dies)

It gets me drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

If you think gangland crime centred on illegal drugs consumed by a small segement of the population is a bad situation try a drug used by a massive majority of the population and see the results. Alcohol consumption would probably increase as spirits become more cost effective than beer and wine while violence and organised criem would probably gain a foothold that would never goaway like the mafias formed during Prohibition in the United States.

This worrying trend towards totalitarian tendencies scares the **** out of me.
    I'd raise the legal age to 21 and educate young people on responsible drinking.

No doubt you also support all under 21 year olds being tried as juveniles? You also consider them not capable of entering legal contracts or joining the army or guards...etc Yeah right. You're an adult at 18 with all rights and responsibilites, stop this pro longing of childhood. There's 20 year olds out there working and paying taxes who haven't lived at home in 2 and 3 years and you're saying they're not mature enough to drink... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I WOULD BURN DOWN THE DAIL IF THEY EVER EVEN TRIED IT.

for real. i am not even joking.

Don't be stupid. That would be the only bar still allowed to serve the stuff because TD's are above the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

sdonn wrote: »
    Don't be stupid. That would be the only bar still allowed to serve the stuff because TD's are above the law.

Wouldn't it technically have to be served by TD's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭whoopdedoo

yes I would, I have a few mates who'd agree and have a few more that should agree to it for the good of their own health

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Completely against it and I'm in favor of legalizing all drugs not just cannabis.
    Not that I take them but I would rather that it was governed and monitored and heavily tax them for the privilege of it. At least that way the country makes some money out of it and even after treating OD cases etc it still turns a profit.
    Plus the scumbag gangs will lose out.
    And of course you'll get people who want drugs banned but alcohol/cigs allowed.
    Load of bollix... legalize them all and if people die from booze/cancer/OD I really don't give a shít...you were stupid enough to take them in the first place so why should I care when you obviously didn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

[Rasta] wrote: »
    we'd just end up with 1000x more druggies :pac:
    so I'd rather see drunk people than thousands of acid heads lurking around jumping people for cash

:D

God dam hippies joe, always mugging us normal folk for their next hit of acid.

I have heard it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Nope, drink is a poor excuse for moral lapses. Drink drivers (some of the time anyway) make the decision while sober that they'll have a few drinks and drive home. The same case can be made for multiple other offenses as i believe that some people are just capable of nastiness regardless of whether they've been drinking or not! Some people shouldn't drink, no question, but that hardly makes it necessary to ban all people from drinking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

I think the OP is obviously trying to draw attention to the issue of the current cannabis laws by suggesting that we treat a drug that is apparently "socially acceptable" the same as we treat one that isn't. Many people have raised some good points that suggest that prohibition is a bad idea and these, by and large, can be applied to other, currently illegal drugs, especially cannabis.

When it comes down to it, the question I would ask people is this: do you think the government has a right to tell you what you may or may not do to your own body? If you believe it does, then it has every right to legislate against you smoking cannabis, drinking alcohol, or eating a rare steak. If you believe it has no such right, then you should leave others to treat their own bodies however they please, lest they stop you from doing something you enjoy simply because they don't.

This all doesn't even address the fact that drug prohibition laws are at best punishing people for enjoying something in their own time, and at worst criminalising the actions of people who have problems rather than offering them help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Abdication of individual responsibility is the biggest problem facing society today. This applies to everything. In the case of alcohol or any intoxicant why should your personal choice to do as you see fit with your own body be denied by other people? Now if you choose to get drunk and drive or beat someone up or vandalise property being drunk is not an excuse. If you make the choice to intoxicate yourself you must accept responsibility for your actions while udner its influence.

Put an end to intoxication being used as an excuse for peoples actions rather than restricting my rights because of other people's actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I would be totally against a ban on alcohol consumption. This comes from someone who can go without drinking for months at a time, to drinking a full bottle of whiskey in an evening. When I drink, I am in control of yself and have never harmed anyone with my consumption of alcohol. That said; if I did injure another person, or kill someone under the influence, it is still my fault, because I chose to be under the influence of a drug. I would be totally against legalising class A drugs such as cocaine and ecstacy, even though it would put the gangs in a tough spot for products to sell, but I bet they would find something else, as they always do. I would be against legalising cannabis for this very reason. Although in my opinion, it is less harmful than alcohol, it would encourage more people to take up general smoking in a time when we as a society seem to be doing all the right things to fight against tobacco use (on a light note). Also, the legalisation of cannabis would just increase the push and supply of harder drugs.

I thankfully have never been offered anything but cannabis in Ireland. I don't smoke it and have only ever tried it twice when I was a teenger. However, I was in Amsterdam a couple of years ago with my heavily pregnant wife (not for drugs by the way). You would be lucky to walk 50 metres without being offered hard drugs. It really p****d me right off. If cannabis is legal, then harder stuff is what you find on the street.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

No alcohol? How would I bury my insecurities and self-hate with none of that?!??!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

goz83 wrote: »
    I would be totally against legalising class A drugs such as cocaine and ecstacy,
    Why, is there any reason for this? I could understand cocaine it's a drug that's very easy to become dependant on, it does change the person and can lead to serious health issues but the same can't be said for ecstasy. What valid reason is there for lumping ecstasy in with cocaine other than it's already banned.

even though it would put the gangs in a tough spot for products to sell, but I bet they would find something else, as they always do.
    They don't really they control the main drugs that everybody wants, everything else is a substitute for those drugs. Nobody would prefer the substitutes over the real things. The simple fact of the matter is they depend on those drugs for income there is nothing to replace them.
    I would be against legalising cannabis for this very reason. Although in my opinion, it is less harmful than alcohol, it would encourage more people to take up general smoking in a time when we as a society seem to be doing all the right things to fight against tobacco use (on a light note).
    You don't need to smoke it, just have vaporiser bars instead, or serve it in restaurants.
    Also, the legalisation of cannabis would just increase the push and supply of harder drugs.
    How? :confused: Your using the gateway drug theory in reverse now.
    You would be lucky to walk 50 metres without being offered hard drugs. It really p****d me right off.
    That's a scam, they're not selling drugs they're just taking advantage of stupid tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

ilovesleep wrote: »
    They say alcohol in moderation is good for you - like a glass of red wine a day. Problem here in this country is that many people do not know how to drink sensibly. Many would go out at weekends and binge drink. Some people who go out and do know how to drink sensibly may end up being intoxicated without wishing to due to other factors such as tiredness, hunger, stress, menstruation which leads to alcohol being absorbed into the bloodstream quicker.

The effects of alcohol in these cases could cause such things as:
    - alcohol poisoning
    - assaults, and rape
    - more prone to sillyiness which could result in harm of oneself.
    - more vulnerable to peer pressure - could lead to taking hardcore drugs more easily such as ecstasy, cocaine
    - unprotected sex
    - unwanted pregnancies
    - sexually transmitted diseases
    - A+E overloads
    - drunk driving, which could lead to death of oneself and others

Alcohol is addictive and some may become alcoholics which would result in other problems.
    Would you be in favour of such a move

The only effect of alcohol that you managed to get right in that list is alcohol poisoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

They say food in moderation is good for you - like a bar of chocolate a day. Problem here in this country is that many people do not know how to eat sensibly. Many would go out at weekends and binge eat. Some people who go out and don't know how to eat sensibly may end up being obese without wishing to due to other factors such as tiredness, hunger, stress, menstruation which leads to fat being absorbed into the body quicker.

The effects of food in these cases could cause such things as:
    - poisoning your body with crap
    - inability to perform any physical activity
    - more prone to lazyness which could result in harm of oneself.
    - more vulnerable to peer pressure - could lead to taking hardcore foodstuffs more easily such as pizza, take aways
    - unprotected children against these terrible foods
    - unwanted pregnant looking belly's
    - obesety "diseases"
    - A+E overloads
    - inability to drive, which could lead to death of oneself and others by becoming housebound

Food is addictive and some may become food-oholics which would result in other problems.
    Would you be in favour of such a move ????

Hmmmmmmmmm...............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

I WOULD BURN DOWN THE DAIL IF THEY EVER EVEN TRIED IT.

for real. i am not even joking.

They can tax us to the hilt but you dare touch our beers:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

After the weekend I've just had I might give it up for a bit. It would be a pure disaster to ban it though. You'd have bootlegging, home made vodka related blindness and death, an increase in unemployment due to breweries, pubs, hotels, off licenses etc. closing. Biggest problem would be that why are you going to chance getting caught drinking when the same perceived risks would then go along with harder drugs.

Drink is a problem in society but it's still staving off a few wolves at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Stopping hash users from mugging people to feed their habit would be a better step.

Advertisement