Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegalizing alcohol - would you be in favour of such a move

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

You take my beer, I'll take your life!

Precious nectar...

*licks dried beer on old cans*

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

No I wouldn't be in favour for such a thing.there would be riots on the streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭AnalogueKid

[Rasta] wrote: »
    we'd just end up with 1000x more druggies :pac:
    so I'd rather see drunk people than thousands of acid heads lurking around jumping people for cash

You're right about the idiocy of prohibition of alcohol - but you've clearly no idea what acid is, its effects or its cost. Absolutely impossible to jump someone when tripping yer gee off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

No I wouldn't be in favour for such a thing.there would be riots on the streets.

Alcohol-free drunken brawls.

• Advertisement

Stopping hash users from mugging people to feed their habit would be a better step.

There's another one - what are you on about? Hash users mugging people so they can afford a spliff?????? :eek:

I think you're thinking of heroin users and crackheads you complete fraggle.

How can there possibly be a grown-up, cogent, sensible argument about drugs when those opposed to them are more whacked out of it than those actually taking drugs?

Just to clarify, I'm a teetotaler who indulges in the occasional mind-expanding turas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

I don't like it or drunk people, but I wouldn't want that. We need to start some campaigns about safely using it and not being cunts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

There's another one - what are you on about? Hash users mugging people so they can afford a spliff?????? :eek:

I think you're thinking of heroin users and crackheads you complete fraggle.
    I think it's pretty obvious he's joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

Pace2008 wrote: »
    I think it's pretty obvious he's joking.

I thought so too. Everyone knows prostitution is the preferred career choice of hash junkies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Stopping hash users from mugging people to feed their habit would be a better step.

haha that would be great.

mugger: hey man, give us your money
    me: wouldnt you rather have this cheese and hula hoop burito?
    mugger: awww yeah!
    me: you can have it if you tell me the square root of 146
    mugger: uuuuuuuhhhhhhh
    me: *makes escape and keeps awesome burrito*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Acid heads- jumping each other for cash?? Seriously doubt that would ever happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

haha that would be great.

mugger: hey man, give us your money
    me: wouldnt you rather have this cheese and hula hoop burito?
    mugger: awww yeah!
    me: you can have it if you tell me the square root of 146
    mugger: uuuuuuuhhhhhhh
    me: *makes escape and keeps awesome burrito*

Now I want a burrito. After something to give me the munchies of course.

If he or she's joking, then touché - obviously my mind hasn't been as expanded as I thought :D

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭HeisenbergBB

I'd sooner legalise every drug under the sun!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

ilovesleep wrote: »

Alcohol is addictive and some may become alcoholics which would result in other problems.
    Would you be in favour of such a move

Like people couldnt get it if it was illegal :rolleyes:
    Look what happened with prohibition in the US. It led to the rise of organised crime in every city and people still could get alcohol if they wanted it
    Silly idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

whiteonion wrote: »
    We should raise the drinking age to 21 in this country and also allow the shops to only sell it until 8pm and not at all on Sundays. I am not in favour of a total ban of alcohol at this stage.

This does nothing to deter the real alcoholics and just makes it harder for the rest of us to buy a bottle of wine as a present for dinner of a Friday evening. Also the 21 thing just sends underage drinking further underground. Teenagers where i live drink in the fields and the bushes, where all the problems the OP outlined can happen unsupervised. Making 21 the age is not going to address this in the slightest. At least if you let them into pubs people can keep an eye on them.

Veles wrote: »
    Are the Irish people themselves collective alcohol addicts?
    The mere threat of making this harmful drug illegal and people go up in arms literally?
    Compare this to the endemic corruption of previous Irish governments,the corrib gas affair,the imf "bail out" where very little has been done about it by the Irish people bar a few token "huffs and puffs" yet nothing of substance,yet a mention of banning of alcohol and the threat of pandemonium enuses..
    interesting....

I'm not an alcohol addict but think banning it is a crazy idea. I wouldn't be up in arms over it though either. What do you suggest we do about the other issues? Short of a revolution where we line the bankers, politicians et al against a wall and shoot them, and reset the year to zero like Pol Pot did in Cambodia? Nothing else is likely to be effective? Or maybe we should break windows in shops and businesses ... that would REALLY help !!!!

Irish people's answer to everything seems to be to ban it and then pretend it doesn't happen instead of being realistic. Lots of people live their lives trying to shape the world to the picture they have in their head instead of how it actually is and trying to improve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

We should ban crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

ScumLord wrote: »
    Why, is there any reason for this? I could understand cocaine it's a drug that's very easy to become dependant on, it does change the person and can lead to serious health issues but the same can't be said for ecstasy. What valid reason is there for lumping ecstasy in with cocaine other than it's already banned.

Ecstacy has killed plenty of people and is popular with teenagers more so than adults. A school friend of mine died after taking one ecstacy. He moved from cannabis to something seen to have a bit more kick. That's why.

They don't really they control the main drugs that everybody wants, everything else is a substitute for those drugs. Nobody would prefer the substitutes over the real things. The simple fact of the matter is they depend on those drugs for income there is nothing to replace them.

Perhaps you're right there, but people seem to want what they can't or shouldn't have. There is no way of knowing for sure what would happen if the current illegal drugs were legalised. But I don't think the outcome would be made of fun and games.
    You don't need to smoke it, just have vaporiser bars instead, or serve it in restaurants.

No, but as smoking is the most popular way, people tend to smoke it. Carrying a bong around the street with you might raise a few eye-brows.

That's a scam, they're not selling drugs they're just taking advantage of stupid tourists.

I wouldn't know for sure if they are selling drugs or placebos, but the culture exists in my opinion, because of the free flow of cannabis and the fact that it is legal. I have no doubt that if cannabis was banned in Amsterdam, there would be a decline in the sale of harder drugs and a massive surge in the illegal selling of cannabis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Make alcohol illegal?

AHAHAHAHahahahahahaha....
    NO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

goz83 wrote: »

I wouldn't know for sure if they are selling drugs or placebos, but the culture exists in my opinion, because of the free flow of cannabis and the fact that it is legal. I have no doubt that if cannabis was banned in Amsterdam, there would be a decline in the sale of harder drugs and a massive surge in the illegal selling of cannabis.

wat

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

ilovesleep wrote: »
    They say alcohol in moderation is good for you - like a glass of red wine a day. Problem here in this country is that many people do not know how to drink sensibly. Many would go out at weekends and binge drink. Some people who go out and do know how to drink sensibly may end up being intoxicated without wishing to due to other factors such as tiredness, hunger, stress, menstruation which leads to alcohol being absorbed into the bloodstream quicker.

The effects of alcohol in these cases could cause such things as:
    - alcohol poisoning
    - assaults, and rape
    - more prone to sillyiness which could result in harm of oneself.
    - more vulnerable to peer pressure - could lead to taking hardcore drugs more easily such as ecstasy, cocaine
    - unprotected sex
    - unwanted pregnancies
    - sexually transmitted diseases
    - A+E overloads
    - drunk driving, which could lead to death of oneself and others

Alcohol is addictive and some may become alcoholics which would result in other problems.
    Would you be in favour of such a move

Yes lets ban alcohol on the basis of your overwhelming evidence that some people may have problems :rolleyes: I think the majority of people consume alcohol in a safe and responsible way.

By your logic, some people drive dangerously = ban cars? Some people jump off bridges = ban bridges? etc etc

Also, in all the years I've been drinking none of the above effects of alcohol have happened to me, beside perhaps the silliness but nothing that put me in danger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Let's ban peanuts, they kill more people than many illegal drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Well I don't drink and have no plans to, so this wouldn't affect me either way.

Having said that, yeah, of course I would personally be happy to see the backside of alchohol, it's disgusting being around people who can't seem to function or be themselves when going out without alcohol. It's a drug like anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Well I don't drink and have no plans to, so this wouldn't affect me either way.

Having said that, yeah, of course I would personally be happy to see the backside of alchohol, it's disgusting being around people who can't seem to function or be themselves when going out without alcohol. It's a drug like anything else.

So basically, you're saying because you don't drink alcohol that no one else should be allowed to either?? Talk about being anti-liberty.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hell no, how am I meant to pull girls that are sober??

Are you mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

Ecstacy has killed plenty of people and is popular with teenagers more so than adults. A school friend of mine died after taking one ecstacy. He moved from cannabis to something seen to have a bit more kick. That's why.

It has not killed plenty of people. I would imagine that there was plenty of alcohol involved in this case as well. Or possibly drinking too much water. But thats like blaming the car in the case of some-one who was drink driving.

Responsible use of ecstasy is no more dangerous then horse riding.
    Why would someone move from cannabis to ecstasy anyways. It's not like they are remotely the same.
    I'm sorry if I may seem insensitive but I find this post very hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭patmac

I suggest the OP and all the doogooders in favour of illegalising alcohol should emigrate to Iran or one of them Southern United States were alcohol is banned, so as they smugly discuss how great it is to live in an alcohlo free environment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

As far as I can tell most deaths associated with extacy aren't caused by an overdose of that drug. Usually its an overdose of water killed the person in the end, of course it can often be down to adulterated drugs on the black market. Records show it hasn't actually killed that many people, relatively speaking.

No, but as smoking is the most popular way, people tend to smoke it. Carrying a bong around the street with you might raise a few eye-brows.
    A bong is still smoking it. In the Netherlands your not allowed to smoke on the street. Your making the assumption everyone will turn into a media caricature of a drug addict once they have the opportunity and that's not what's happening in any of the countries where drugs have been decriminalised.

For anyone who does use the drug it will be life as usual just without the treat of arrest and no more dealing with criminal gangs.

I wouldn't know for sure if they are selling drugs or placebos, but the culture exists in my opinion, because of the free flow of cannabis and the fact that it is legal.
    Not really, the locals just don't do drugs like we do, they know their limits and you won't see drunk/druged antics like you do here.

You'll find those "drug dealers" whispering about illegal drugs in just about every major city in Europe. They're all con men and have absolutely nothing to do with the drug trade, they are only there to scam tourists.
    I have no doubt that if cannabis was banned in Amsterdam, there would be a decline in the sale of harder drugs and a massive surge in the illegal selling of cannabis.
    But the exact opposite is what's happening this is on record, prohibition causes a rise in crime and drug use, that's a fact.

Advertisement