Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viking harbour, Ushers Island

Options
  • 28-03-2011 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if here is the right forum for this or if I should post it in A&P but here goes...

Considering moving into town and I like the look of this particular development. Just wondering if anyone here lives in it or in the general area? What is it like? Is it a secure enough area? I've heard that the aroma from the St James Gate can get a bit savoury at times.

Lets not have this turn into another one of those 'X area is much better than Y area, Y area is a kip' please, all I am looking to find is a place that is:
    a) reasonably cheap to rent
    b) walking distance from the city center
    c) reasonably safe and secure

This development seems to tic two of the three boxes, just wondering if ye good folks can help me decide if it tics the third.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

There's a Methadone Clinic just there on Island St, just a heads up on that. Maybe look into Patrick St/Cork St/Francis St aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

There's a Methadone Clinic just there on Island St, just a heads up on that. Maybe look into Patrick St/Cork St/Francis St aswell.

A methadone clinic might put a slight spanner into the 'reasonably safe and secure' works alright :cool:

Wouldn't be a dealbreaker though in fairness, not sure how they work but would I be right in assuming that it wouldn't be open 24/7 and hence, have a load of 'clients' hanging around 24/7?

pithater1 wrote: »
    A methadone clinic might put a slight spanner into the 'reasonably safe and secure' works alright :cool:

Wouldn't be a dealbreaker though in fairness, not sure how they work but would I be right in assuming that it wouldn't be open 24/7 and hence, have a load of 'clients' hanging around 24/7?

Nah it's not open 24/7. I rarely walk down there tbh, but I remember once about two years ago strolling down to get the bus to work on a Sunday morning at 9.30am, a car parked on Island St, calls me over and asked if I was looking for "anything". Not really the kinda thing I'd fancy having to live around the corner from.

Edit: Just incase it looks like I'm turning you off renting there, look at my posts on here previously about Dublin 8, I always stick up for it and recommand buying/renting in the area. Lived here for 20 years and never much trouble, I live up closer to the SCR and personnally wouldn't recommend down by Island St but moreso Patrick St, Cork St or Francis St.

Edit: Just incase it looks like I'm turning you off renting there, look at my posts on here previously about Dublin 8, I always stick up for it and recommand buying/renting in the area. Lived here for 20 years and never much trouble, I live up closer to the SCR and personnally wouldn't recommend down by Island St but moreso Patrick St, Cork St or Francis St.

Ah not at all, sure I am looking for a local's opinion afterall. Must admit, I didn't really like the look of Island Street on Streetview, the development itself looks reasonably secure, particularly on the Liffey side though. Wouldn't fancy living on the side overlooking Island Street alright :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I like the aroma from Guinness! You're backing directly on to Oliver Bond St from that quay and numerous other bad flats are close by but I've never felt in danger walking around there at all times of day and night.
    My main problem with that exact area is how depressing it is-a mixture of sh1tbox Zoe development apartments, derelict sites, convenience stores and rough pubs, as well as the constant fast and heavy traffic on the quays.
    As Gavin said, maybe look towards the Coombe, Liberties or Blackpitts as an alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rallye150flyer

have to be careful with the sort of people that clinic brings its one of the worst spots around town for the "are you looking" kind dont know anything about the development but know town quite well and around the civic offices and christ church and the board walk are all highly populated with unsavoury characters

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

It's a fair bit down from the civic offices,boardwalk etc..

Addicts tend to be on their best behaviour in and around Methadone clinics out of fear of their dose being reduced/withdrawn for bad behaviour.

Would defintely recommend Patrick Street area though,far quieter traffic wise and just generally not as grey and desolate looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I live 1 minute away and i wouldn't recommend the area, there are loads of junkies hanging around in the area - very intimidating. I'm moving out soon

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Lir

Been living there for nearly five years now, never had an issue either within the complex or going to or from the place. There are some less nice areas near-by, but I know of very few places in Dublin where that isn't true, it's a very mixed together city. The smell from James' Gate does waft down, but you get used to it. The only time there's ever been noise or issues within the complex the Gardai have been down very quickly. ymmv, this is not a guarantee etc, but it is real personal experience.

Had a look around it today, honestly was not impressed, can understand what was meant by it being a bit gray and soul destroying, found a fantastic place off Thomas Street that's even closer to town so happy days. :D

Cheers for all the advice ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 commandz

I'm looking at an apartment in this complex this evening, anyone got any updates on the general area, and the likely hood of being mugged at needle point? The rent is reasonable, just want to check I'm not moving into a hell hole.

commandz wrote: »
    I'm looking at an apartment in this complex this evening, anyone got any updates on the general area, and the likely hood of being mugged at needle point? The rent is reasonable, just want to check I'm not moving into a hell hole.

You've obviously never had run in's with junkies, they could barely move never mind mugging you at needle point.

You've obviously never had run in's with junkies, they could barely move never mind mugging you at needle point.

Thanks Gavin, 'not running into Junkies' is a bourgeois life style choice I want to perpetuate.

I remember from when I went looking there a few years back that there were lots of kids playing in the inner courtyard there which can be quite loud and annoying thanks to the acoustics of the place. Junkies shouldn't be too problematic assuming that you stick to the quays when walking in and out of town mind (I wouldn't recommend walking down Island Street).

It looks a decent enough spot but the noise from the kids playing was the delbreaker for me. There are other apartments in that area that migntnt have that problem mind.

P_1 wrote: »
    I remember from when I went looking there a few years back that there were lots of kids playing in the inner courtyard there which can be quite loud and annoying thanks to the acoustics of the place. Junkies shouldn't be too problematic assuming that you stick to the quays when walking in and out of town mind (I wouldn't recommend walking down Island Street).

It looks a decent enough spot but the noise from the kids playing was the delbreaker for me. There are other apartments in that area that migntnt have that problem mind.

Thanks for the feedback P_1, I'm not in a major rush to find a place, just seemed like a good deal, and we know what that usually means. I'll probably take a look anyway to sate my curiosity.

commandz wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback P_1, I'm not in a major rush to find a place, just seemed like a good deal, and we know what that usually means. I'll probably take a look anyway to sate my curiosity.

Have a luck by all means but as you said, you're in no rush and there are places around that area where you'll get more ban for your buck IMO

Advertisement