Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to give up on a piercing??

Options
  • 29-03-2011 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭

Hi all! :)

So any advice about when to give up on a piercing? I've had some excellent advice from this forum already and I trust ye! :p
    So basically I've always had trouble with piercings. From Dodgy shops, to allergies to infection etc...

This time I paid really good money, went to a studio that I researched, made sure it was clean and the qualifications up to date. Used a plastic bar to reduce allergy risk. Cleaned it exactly as I had been instructed. Didn't touch it unnecessarily....

However...it's never healed. :( Its now been almost 6 months. Its still sore and weeping. I went to a piercing studio in Cork to get it looked at- the guy was very unhelpful. Went back to the salon i got it done in- they told me he wasn't there and they didn't know when he'd be back, and basically made me feel very uncomfortable.

Eventually I've found a piercer to look at it. She told me that the placement is very poor (too far back) and that it really reduces the risk of it healing (she actually said it probably wont heal). Also the bar was too short, which I had suspected myself. She said that if it doesn't heal now (with longer plastic bar and betaisodona cream) it will have to come out. I'm disgusted! :mad:

So when do you give up?? Just keep cleaning it and hope it heals or accept it as a bad case? I'm worried about leaving it too long and the infection getting worse and spreading (its been worse the last two weeks). I know I can't really remove the bar if it's infected anyway! :confused: so any advice??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

What piercing is it? Some can take longer than 6 months to heal, it took nearly a year for my nose piercing to heal fully and piercings on cartilage take even longer. Also afaik you shouldn't use plastic jewelery in an unhealed piercing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

moonflower wrote: »
    What piercing is it? Some can take longer than 6 months to heal, it took nearly a year for my nose piercing to heal fully and piercings on cartilage take even longer. Also afaik you shouldn't use plastic jewelery in an unhealed piercing.

It was pierced with plastic jewellery, apparent it cuts the risk of infection and i've had some trouble in the past with metal. :confused:

Nipple. But the main problem according to the piercer is that is was placed wrong. So i don't know if I should struggle on and hope it heals or give up. :/ If i have to remove it i'll be disgusted as I don't think I could sit through it again. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭giggii

my nipple piercing took at least a year to heal properly... I just persevered with the salt soaks and eventually it healed up grand... Titanium is just about as hypoallergenic as PTFE also... I found all my piercings to heal just fine with it and I have super sensitive skin...

giggii wrote: »
    my nipple piercing took at least a year to heal properly... I just persevered with the salt soaks and eventually it healed up grand... Titanium is just about as hypoallergenic as PTFE also... I found all my piercings to heal just fine with it and I have super sensitive skin...

But was it constantly weeping and stuff?? I got freaked out when the skin around it started changing colour! :eek:
    Ya I dunno, my bellybar is titanium and thats ok, but when i changed from plastic to a longer titanium one it swelled like a mo-fo and was so painful within an hour had to take it out. :( I've given up on piercings now, but I want to at least keep this one!! I was well up for persevering with it, but the piercer saying it probably won't heal threw me. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

my nipple took ages to heal aswell I got mine pierced last august and it still gets a bit crusty it was weeping up until very recentley and at one time brown/red spots appeared on my nipple then went away again, and mine was pierced wrong aswell but I asked a different piercer would it cause me any problems and he said it wouldnt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

six months to a year is average healing time on a nipple, that will vary with a number of factors. yes it should weep for most of that time and you will see some discolouration around the ends from time to time.

granted i havent seen the piercing but it does not sound like you have an infection. an infection is extremely painfull in a nipple, it weeping is just part of the healing process?

did your peircer recomend the use of betaisodona cream? im not familiar with it myself but creams are not a good idea of piercings as they can block up the peircing and hamper drainage. also if it betadine based that is far too harsh to use on a peircing.

my nipple took ages to heal aswell I got mine pierced last august and it still gets a bit crusty it was weeping up until very recentley and at one time brown/red spots appeared on my nipple then went away again, and mine was pierced wrong aswell but I asked a different piercer would it cause me any problems and he said it wouldnt.
    Ya it was the colour change that freaked me out really!! Ok well i feel a bit better now. It was just that the piercer seemed so disgusted by the state of it i started to get worried!
    six months to a year is average healing time on a nipple, that will vary with a number of factors. yes it should weep for most of that time and you will see some discolouration around the ends from time to time.

granted i havent seen the piercing but it does not sound like you have an infection. an infection is extremely painfull in a nipple, it weeping is just part of the healing process?

did your peircer recomend the use of betaisodona cream? im not familiar with it myself but creams are not a good idea of piercings as they can block up the peircing and hamper drainage. also if it betadine based that is far too harsh to use on a peircing.
    discolouration on the ends i wouldn't mind it was when the rest of the nipple went patchy I got worried. No not just healing, weeping, occasional bleeding, incredibly sore to touch at times, usually quite swollen. Seems to have calmed down a bit since I started using the cream and changed to a longer bar.
    Ya i don't think we have it in ireland, its what she recommended. I imagine its iodine based as its an oily red cream. just goes on at night with a plaster coz it stains like fúck. Seems to be working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I wouldnt give up on it just yet. I used to have terrible trouble with piercings. I couldn't even have my ears pierced because they'd just get infected, but perserverance is the key.

I never had any trouble like that with my nipple, it healed up nicely, but the odd time it get weepy and crusty, especially if I was run down or ill. There's nothing worse than painful nipples! Id make sure the bar leaves plenty of room and that your general health is good!

I wouldnt give up on it just yet. I used to have terrible trouble with piercings. I couldn't even have my ears pierced because they'd just get infected, but perserverance is the key.

I never had any trouble like that with my nipple, it healed up nicely, but the odd time it get weepy and crusty, especially if I was run down or ill. There's nothing worse than painful nipples! Id make sure the bar leaves plenty of room and that your general health is good!

Thanks cupcake! Dunno why I keep gettin piercings when I know well i'll have trouble with them! :o Guna strike out the plan for piercing my rook and just get tattoos from now on!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ElizabethDante

if a piercing was overly irritating me i would take it out for safety, but thats my body.

i have 29 piercings and probably didnt care for the aftercare as much as i should have. i find among my friends and i that some bodies heal quickly while some just do not become comfortable with foreign objects ! haha

wash often and mantain cleanseliness of your piercings and they should be grand, if i was doing that and the piercing was still giving bother i would assume my body just wasnt comfortable with it and take it out.

:D im new here so im just testing the posting waters ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement