Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derry Bombing thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

You wah now?

How you got that from my post I do not know. People have been complaining about the standard in the forum and a general feedback thread was set up. It has nothing to do with SF or anti SF, FF or US Republicans for that matter. That you took it up as such......................................
    Permabear wrote:

Just a continuation of your logic above so same as, though if you think I have a problem with criticism of SF, WT and a couple of others could put you right on that particular jump of logic.
    Ah, so my thread made him do it. That explains everything. :rolleyes:

He commented on the bomb that you described in the OP.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

snyper wrote: »
    There is nothing symbolic about a bomb placed in an urban environment.
    A symbolic attack on the British justice system I imagine was the aim seen as a bomb that size and distance from a bomb proof courthouse would have had no chance of destroying it.

Either way it was not justified.

And southsiderosie? And nesf? ("His intention was not clear from the post to a neutral reader")? Are they only seeing a problem because they're so biased too?
    What about posters who continue to misrepresent posters despite explanation and correction?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    A symbolic attack on the British justice system I imagine was the aim seen as a bomb that size and distance from a bomb proof courthouse would have had no chance of destroying it.

Either way it was not justified.

But if its that far away, it simply a bomb in a car park

Perhaps its a symbolic attack on the british parking charges

Bombs explode, explosions kill people, if its risks killing people its simply violence and not symbolic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

What about posters who continue to misrepresent posters despite explanation and correction?

You still haven't answered my question. If your posting is so unproblematic, how do posters like southsiderosie and nesf see room for them to be interpreted as justifications for the actions of dissidents?

• Advertisement

snyper wrote: »
    But if its that far away, it simply a bomb in a car park

Perhaps its a symbolic attack on the british parking charges

Bombs explode, explosions kill people, if its risks killing people is simply violence and not symbolic.
    Well we all hate clampers! :pac:

Thats what I found unusual and I think the map I posted was helpful in talking about the attempted bombing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

We are getting towards the head of the pin soonish..

The argument will be drilled down to a syllable in a word in a sentence, to a nuance and and implied implication which will spark an inference which might be construed to be capable of being inferred as to imply that .......nada nada nada nada.......................

When anyone with a modicum of sense can see nub of the argument.

An attempt to justify terrorism.

Give it a rest horse, you have been rumbled, stop bleating like a sheep.

You still haven't answered my question. If your posting is so unproblematic, how do posters like southsiderosie and nesf see room for them to be interpreted as justifications for the actions of dissidents?
    Many posters dont feel that my posts justify dissidents.

He misrepresented me, I corrected him, he continued to do so. I dont see how that can be allowed especially when we are dealing with something as serious as an attempted bombing and proscribed organisations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

We are getting towards the head of the pin soonish..

The argument will be drilled down to a syllable in a word in a sentence, to a nuance and and implied implication which will spark an inference which might be construed to be capable of being inferred as to imply that .......nada nada nada nada.......................

When anyone with a modicum of sense can see nub of the argument.

An attempt to justify terrorism.

Give it a rest horse, you have been rumbled, stop bleating like a sheep.
    So you are accusing me off attempting to justify this attempted attack too?

How would you know when you can't even read the thread this is about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

....barely related to a bomb. More using an attempted bombing to make what you yourself described as a "cheap shot".

Care to address this PB?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71417603&postcount=53

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Do YOU care to address the point that it has become a regular occurrence for a number of posters with no visible axe to grind to come away from your posts with a completely different interpretation of what you claim to be saying? And that perhaps, instead of taking to Feedback on a monthly basis while brimming with self-righteous indignation, you would do well to re-evaluate your posting style?

Many posters dont feel that my posts justify dissidents.

But many posters do feel your posts justify certain actions, and that's the problem. If your posts were fine no one would take issue with them. But two objective posters, southsiderosie and nesf, have outlined concerns here, and they probably reflect the concerns of posters who don't post in Feedback. How do you account for those concerns if your posting style is so unproblematic, as you maintain it is?
    He misrepresented me, I corrected him, he continued to do so. I dont see how that can be allowed especially when we are dealing with something as serious as an attempted bombing and proscribed organisations.

I appreciate that, and if I'd gotten to the thread after you had outlined your position I would have asked Permabear and Soldie to drop it. As I did at 11 when I did get to thread.

Do YOU care to address the point that it has become a regular occurrence for a number of posters with no visible axe to grind to come away from your posts with a completely different interpretation of what you claim to be saying? And that perhaps, instead of taking to Feedback on a monthly basis while brimming with self-righteous indignation, you would do well to re-evaluate your posting style?
    Then why does he continue to maintain that I defend bombings and the proscribed organisations responsible in light of correction?

PB had an axe to grind in that thread, thats clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

If WT's posting history is relevant then so is yours. You've called for an overall FG majority in an OP and to top it of, FF ahead of SF. As a libertarian you despise SF, I think it's relevant.

Permabear wrote:

He left the images there, you ran with it like a dog with a bone.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

But many posters do feel your posts justify certain actions, and that's the problem. If your posts were fine no one would take issue with them. But two objective posters, southsiderosie and nesf, have outlined concerns here, and they probably reflect the concerns of posters who don't post in Feedback. How do you account for those concerns if your posting style is so unproblematic, as you maintain it is?
    If I said your posts made you come across as being an arsehole whose fault would that be? (They dont for what its worth). I find it extremely insulting being accused of defending attempted dissident bombings.

I would also question said posters objectivity.

I appreciate that, and if I'd gotten to the thread after you had outlined your position I would have asked Permabear and Soldie to drop it. As I did at 11 when I did get to thread.

But he still maintains that I defend dissident attacks and refused to acknowledge that he "got the wrong end of the stick".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

And you don't see any problem with people misinterpreting them? It's all their fault and none of yours?

Are people to be hounded because of the misconceptions / misinterpretations / ignorance of others? This is unreal, WT posted an aerial photograph of the location of an incident. Other posters (including a mod) are then allowed to go after WT because they misconstrued the post.

If I said your posts made you come across as being an arsehole whose fault would that be? (They dont for what its worth). I find it extremely insulting being accused of defending attempted dissident bombings.

If southsiderosie, nesf or, indeed, yourself said I sounded like an arsehole I would take a sincere look at my posting style to see what the issue was. The posters saying there is a problem don't have any axe to grind; they're not out to get you. They're not accusing you of defending such actions either; they're saying your posts come across as defences. You still haven't furnished a proper reason as to why objective posters like southsiderosie and nesf are seeing a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

"If your posts are constantly being 'misunderstood', particularly by those who are strongly SF, perhaps the problem lies with you and not with other people.

which might be why some of us on the republican side end up confusing you with unionism .?

• Advertisement

Are people to be hounded because of the misconceptions / misinterpretations / ignorance of others? This is unreal, WT posted an aerial photograph of the location of an incident. Other posters (including a mod) are then allowed to go after WT because they misconstrued the post.
    Its a joke.

The accusations made against me are disgraceful, but what is worse is moderators standing over them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Then why does he continue to maintain that I defend bombings and the proscribed organisations responsible in light of correction?

PB had an axe to grind in that thread, thats clear.

You are, once again, missing the point. If you constantly have to correct and/or backtrack, then I think the onus is on you to be more careful about how and what you post. Your comments on your map post were shaping up to be a repeat of the Derry bombing thread a few months ago, and that is what people found objectionable.

Despite the fact that this issue has been raised repeatedly, here we are YET AGAIN with you demanding apologies. To me, this suggests that you are incapable of taking constructive criticism on board, are willfully ignoring what other posters have said and/or that YOU have an axe to grind, namely by highlighting again how there is some 'vast right-wing conspiracy' against you and other republican posters on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

If you are going to level allegations of lying at another poster, please be willing to prove that they are lying - that they deliberately intend to deceive. Simply calling someone a liar is not acceptable.

Deliberately misleading posts or posters aiming to spread misinformation will be sanctioned. We do not expect posters to be experts in all areas, however, the onus is on all posters to fact check their information. If a poster is corrected, or information corrected in a thread, any poster who continues to relate misinformation as fact will be sanctioned.

We expect all posters to extend respect to the rest of the community. This includes refraining from abuse or conduct that will deliberately upset or provoke others.

A tenner for the first person who can identify where the above is taken from

If southsiderosie, nesf or, indeed, yourself said I sounded like an arsehole I would take a sincere look at my posting style to see what the issue was. The posters saying there is a problem don't have any axe to grind; they're not out to get you. They're not accusing you of defending such actions either; they're saying your posts come across as defences. You still haven't furnished a proper reason as to why objective posters like southsiderosie and nesf are seeing a problem.

As I said I question anyones objectivity when it comes to issues like this.

Ok, lets say my first post was easily misunderstood. I don't feel that it was, and nor do a lot of other posters but lets just pretend it is, fair enough. I explained why I posted it. That should have been it, yet PB and others, on this very thread, are still accusing me of defending terrorist actions and refuse to acknowledge that I do not, and refuse to cease making such claims.

As I said earlier I am not annon on this site, my name is linked to my username. I feel personally insulted here, and defamed.

A tenner for the first person who can identify where the above is taken from
    One rule for the lads, another for everyone else.

Deliberately misleading posts or posters aiming to spread misinformation will be sanctioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

You are, once again, missing the point. If you constantly have to correct and/or backtrack, then I think the onus is on you to be more careful about how and what you post. Your comments on your map post were shaping up to be a repeat of the Derry bombing thread a few months ago, and that is what people found objectionable.

Despite the fact that this issue has been raised repeatedly, here we are YET AGAIN with you demanding apologies. To me, this suggests that you are incapable of taking constructive criticism on board, are willfully ignoring what other posters have said and/or that YOU have an axe to grind, namely by highlighting again how there is some 'vast right-wing conspiracy' against you and other republican posters on this forum.

Cast iron gold plated post madam.

Move on now, nothing else to see here... back up everyone.... it's all over.

I am unwilling to accept such serious accusations as supporting and defending proscribed organisations, especially when I am not annon, without addressing them.

As I said I question anyones objectivity when it comes to issues like this.

But of course your objectivity in the matter can be assumed without question?

• Advertisement

Look.
    Let me put it to you this way.
    If a dissident bomb went off in the North and a local Sinn Féin representative or any were asked on tv radio or newspaper what they thought,they'd just condemn it.
    They wouldnt take out a flip chart and a pointing rod to discuss the merits of where the bomb was placed from a placing it to try to be safe point of view.

They wouldn't do that because it would look like apoligism and would be politically stupid.

If it's not acceptable in that context,it's not acceptable here either,this being a politics forum not a violence advocacy forum.

It's obvious that some posters are fervently anti anything Sinn Féin,theres irreconcilability politically there I'm afraid,I don't think anybody should bother trying to refute that.
    But by the same token it's not a curtain to hide behind when a mistake was made here in what WT posted.
    It's a mistake no matter who would be posting it.

Advertisement