Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's Happening?

• 29-03-2011 12:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭

Lads, I bought the new xbox and kinect for Christmas thinking there would be a rush of good games for the kinect soon enough. But from what I can tell, nothing major has been brought out? I've never witnessed such a big deal made of something only to be almost forgotten about afterwards with regard to top class games.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Buy Kinect.... no games released

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1H4Xs64oACo0z56cDrMZ25ynheWsM8LtVzczxheQlALYxyMKn&t=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Buy Kinect.... no games released

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1H4Xs64oACo0z56cDrMZ25ynheWsM8LtVzczxheQlALYxyMKn&t=1

That's great from you

That's great from you
    Thanks. Tis a bit rediculous of M$, gamers forking out €150 for a few minutes of "oh, thats cool". Maybe in the future something will come about, but just like the wii, it was a new technological fad.... IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

well done you fell for marketing without research. could i interest you in some magic beans?

well done you fell for marketing without research. could i interest you in some magic beans?

Number one.I got it as a present from a gf who had nothing else to get me.
    And two. How the hell was I supposed to know there were no games?I looked around but that was 6months ago and I obviously expected to hear something by now, which is why I'm asking here, smartass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

I'd say E3 will have some games announced and come xmas there will be some out,

That's a long long time away. Could pick up a kinect for half nothing by then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I got given a Wii. Played it for a few months as the motion control was quite the novelty. Now it's just gathering dust due to lack of good titles. Same could be applied to the Kinetic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Number one.I got it as a present from a gf who had nothing else to get me.
    And two. How the hell was I supposed to know there were no games?I looked around but that was 6months ago and I obviously expected to hear something by now, which is why I'm asking here, smartass

I assume you're taking about "hardcore" type games. Most developers of more hardcore type games decided to hold off on the inclusion of kinect within their games for fear that it would be a fad.

Due it the high volume of sales of the Kinect since launch, Dev's are far less dubious of investing time and money into adding kinect-ivity to their future releases.

I believe the first "hardcore" type game, which is a FPS-type western shooter, using kinect is due for release towards the end of the summer. I would also expect it to be integrated into other releases towards the end of the year too.

I have a hunch that some of the larger brand FPS titles in Q4 will have some kinect aspects to them. Perhaps leaning around corners and stuff like that. This is only a hunch though and completely unsupported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

duploelabs wrote: »
    I got given a Wii. Played it for a few months as the motion control was quite the novelty. Now it's just gathering dust due to lack of good titles. Same could be applied to the Kinetic

The difference between the Wii and Kinect is that the Wii has brilliant first party games made by Nintendo: Zelda (and a new one this year), Metroid, Mario Kart, Three Mario platformers, Donkey Kong and some decent third party games like Capcom vs Tatsunoko, Mad World, House of the Dead. Not to mention a huge back catalogue of Game cube games and the virtual console. While Kinect has...ermm...well....umm....yeah...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Thanks. Tis a bit rediculous of M$, gamers forking out €150 for a few minutes of "oh, thats cool". Maybe in the future something will come about, but just like the wii, it was a new technological fad.... IMO

Comparing it to the Wii is ****ing ridiculous.
    The Wii was absolutely massive for about 4 years, had absolutely amazing games coming out left right and centre and to a point still has. Kinect nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

There's always that game where you pretend to be an animal :D
    Or you could use it on your pc as their have been some unofficial drivers released for it. Apparently its poss to do some pretty neat things on the pc with it.
    My eldest wanted one of these for xmas, I told him no as it would be a waste of money that would lose interest in after a few weeks. I was right.
    There will be more games out soon, prob towards xmas to get the xmas sales and re-ignite interest in the xbox in time for xmas.
    Wouldn't expect too much though.
    Only another 2-4 yrs to wait for the xbox replacement. So there'll be 2-4 more cod modern warefare remakes.
    As someone else said, E3 is coming up, there'll be something announced there most likely.
    Though its rumored that Nintendo may poss make an announcement about their replacement for the Wii at E3, which would be interesting.
    The Wii ruled this segmant and will carry on doing so. Novelty games are nintendo's speciality.

mayordenis wrote: »
    Comparing it to the Wii is ****ing ridiculous.
    The Wii was absolutely massive for about 4 years, had absolutely amazing games coming out left right and centre and to a point still has. Kinect nothing.

Really? Amazing games? Cant think of that many that really utilized the motion sensor to an "amazing" extent. Sure there were some great games, but IMO none of the great ones were all about the motion sensor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

think about when the xbox 360 first came out you had perfect dark zero kameo, king kong and fifa i think, no remarkable games, a year later you had the big games starting to emerge,

Take a look at how it sold, the developers know there is a built in market now how many million where sold, add to that the online developers, the big developers will be getting ideas from these guys on how to utilize the kinect in games adn see the potential of it, why do you think microsoft has not stopped these indie developers/hackers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

Theres a decent UFC game coming out on Kinect. Other than that i haven't heard of any games that are worth getting.
    I never saw the point of rushing out to get new hardware like this when theres clearly nothing worth getting for it and nothing even announced to justify picking it up especially at the price its at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

OP, no need to get mad. We're only taking the piss. It's only light-hearted :p

Still, I can't see why anyone would want a Kinect. I tried it on Grafton St. before it launched, and I thought it was rubbish. It wasn't responding very well to movement, either. The games were (and are) also crap. (I know you didn't buy it, but still!)
    I believe the first "hardcore" type game, which is a FPS-type western shooter, using kinect is due for release towards the end of the summer. I would also expect it to be integrated into other releases towards the end of the year too.

The Gunstringer, by Twisted Pixel Games, the guys behind The Maw, Splosion Man and Comic Jumper. It'll be a downloadable Xbox Arcade title for Kinect.

Again, I don't really see how anyone would find that being overly fun. I guess I'll just stick to Brotherhood, Battlefield and The Orange Box :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Healium wrote: »
    OP, no need to get mad. We're only taking the piss. It's only light-hearted :p

Still, I can't see why anyone would want a Kinect. I tried it on Grafton St. before it launched, and I thought it was rubbish. It wasn't responding very well to movement, either. The games were (and are) also crap. (I know you didn't buy it, but still!)

The Gunstringer, by Twisted Pixel Games, the guys behind The Maw, Splosion Man and Comic Jumper. It'll be a downloadable Xbox Arcade title for Kinect.

Again, I don't really see how anyone would find that being overly fun. I guess I'll just stick to Brotherhood, Battlefield and The Orange Box :D
    disagree i think kinect has so much potential, its a great sensor picks up every movement etc.

and the games out now are at best decent not brilliant but when they get a handle on developing good titles then it will prove its worth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

allanb49 wrote: »
    think about when the xbox 360 first came out you had perfect dark zero kameo, king kong and fifa i think, no remarkable games, a year later you had the big games starting to emerge,

Take a look at how it sold, the developers know there is a built in market now how many million where sold, add to that the online developers, the big developers will be getting ideas from these guys on how to utilize the kinect in games adn see the potential of it, why do you think microsoft has not stopped these indie developers/hackers?

Absolutely, somewhere in the region of ten million units sold, if I remember correctly since launch. That's a large market waiting for Kinect games.

once again, i told my gf to wait and not to buy me it but as she had nothing else to get she just did anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

At last years TGS MS unveiled a bunch of core games which were in development for Kinect.

Haunt - First person horror game designed by Masaya Matsuura of Parappa the Rappa fame.

Project Draco - Basically looks like a Panzer Dragoon game being developed by Yukio Futatsugi's new studio, Grounding Inc.

Codename D - Not many details about this one except for the fact that it's being developed by Grasshopper Manufacture.

Child of Eden - Awesome Rez-type game from Tetsuya Mizuguchi.

Rise of Nightmares - Another horror title from SEGA.

Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor - Not sure how this one will work but it's in development anyway.

Since then, Twisted Pixel have shown off their game The Gunslinger which looks pretty great. No idea on release dates for these but that's just some of the games already announced. I'm sure more will follow at this years conferences.

• Advertisement
Advertisement