Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

more boards.ie madness

• 29-03-2011 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

some guy posts on the dublin forum about wanting to know where uruguay are staying because he likes the player and the thread is closed because 'boards doesnt tolerate stalking':rolleyes: the guy wants a jersey signed for xrist sakes
    Post edited by Shield on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Links to the posts?

Did you report the posts?

Did you PM and moderators?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Tallon wrote: »
    Links to the posts?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056214967

Doesn't say anything about wanting a jersey signed in there :confused:
    Did you report the posts?
    Of course not
    Did you PM and moderators?

No.

The whole thread was going down a very bad path, so I locked it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Wibbs wrote: »

Still a bit stalkerish though, also I stand by the statement that the thread was going in a bad direction.

And, the match is this evening, so the thread doesn't really serve any real purpose anymore, the Uruguay team will be going home/back to their respective clubs straight after to get in shape for their weekend's games.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Just I'm familiar with the poster in question from the watch forum Des. Nice chap, never any hassle and valuable part of the community. The "stalker" tag doesn't sit well TBH, when the chap was just asking the wheres and hows of getting a tee shirt signed.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

No one is saying he's a stalker. But you have heard of the term "privacy" right... well the Uraguay players get it too.

So here's a fun game we can play... Anyone who wants to post in opposition to the closing of that thread, has to include their name and address with the post. :)
    Lets see how fun that is... :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

DeVore wrote: »
    No one is saying he's a stalker. But you have heard of the term "privacy" right... well the Uraguay players get it too.

So here's a fun game we can play... Anyone who wants to post in opposition to the closing of that thread, has to include their name and address with the post. :)

DeV.

Well i think thats a load of balls (excuse the pun)

I stayed in a hotel in Dublin last year because i travelled up from (couldint give a rats arse about putting in my name or address for the record DeV if you want to call me on it) to go to the funeral of a Boardsies sister.

The hotel happened to have the Irish team staying in it and there were loads of people getting pics and jerseys signed.

They arent Joe soaps off the street. They represent our country on a national level. The match is over is it not? If they have publicly asked to keep it all hush hush then fair enough and should be all that needs to be said.

What exactly makes that information private?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

DeV.

<Snip>
    Removed name and address at OPs request because of odd things arriving in the post
    </snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

<snip>
    Starbelgrade address removed at OP request

Any excuse slapper :pac:

\ Phone sitter and prays SatNav works!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

No one is saying he's a stalker. .
    Des wrote:
    we will not tolerate stalking

Am I missing something here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

<snip> Stargelgrade address removed at OP request</snip>.

Fair play to ye. I posted, but then went and deleted it, as I reckoned footy wasn't worth it. Maith an fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

themadchef wrote: »
    Any excuse slapper :pac:

\ Phone sitter and prays SatNav works!

I think he just gave you Slideys address :D

No one is saying he's a stalker.
    Yes they are. "Still a bit stalkerish though/we will not tolerate stalking" What else is the chap being called?
    But you have heard of the term "privacy" right... well the Uraguay players get it too.
    Yep I've heard of many terms. I've also heard it's apparently quite a common thing for footballists to sign stuff in and around the hotel environs. Indeed sometimes even have signings in same for the purpose.
    Ahh the DeV slightly passive aggressive :) smiley comes to the fore. Love the golden oldies :). The closing of the thread is not the point(and FWIW I agree with Des it was going nowhere). It's the intimation of a fellow long term boardsie with nary a blemish on his name for no good reason of being a stalker, apologies exhibiting stalkerish behaviour. Des has admitted he didn't even see the tee shirt signing part. Cool he missed that, but no point in digging heels in now(that's not like Des anyway).

Like I said and I can't see the issue with; I'm familiar with the poster in question from the watch forum Des. Nice chap, never any hassle and valuable part of the community. The "stalker" tag doesn't sit well TBH, when the chap was just asking the wheres and hows of getting a tee shirt signed. Hardly requires any knickers being bunched.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

DeV.

Talk about a sledge hammer and a panel pin? Seriously.....

Anybody who knows anything about soccer, and I include Des, should know that this is very very much common practice for visiting teams and fans. They are well used to fans asking them to sign shirts/programmes etc at hotels and training grounds..and 99% of them could not give a toss about it.

To try and connect this practice to stalking is ridiculous, and the reaction from you DeV just compounds that ridiculousness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

DeV.
    Asking which hotel some visiting foreign footballers are staying isn't exactly equitable to asking where they live. :)

But you have heard of the term "privacy" right... well the Uraguay players get it too.

That's incredibly patronising. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

I stayed in a Dublin hotel last year during a wedding and there were loads of Liverpool former players staying there, Liverpool legends I think the match they were playing was called, I'm not big into soccer so correct me if I'm wrong.

The point is John Aldridge was asked could the groom have his pic taken with him, and he kindly obliged ,then he asked the groom did he want the rest of the players to get into the picture, obviously the groom said "YES" ,the players then joined us for the rest of the wedding and then into the early hours in the residence bar.Fantastic bunch of lads and down to earth.

They were very obliging to anyone that wanted an autograph and a few did turn up at the hotel to get jerseys signed.But once that was done everyone left them alone.There was no stalking going on tbh.