Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two big UK Predators

• 29-03-2011 1:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭

Couple of big fish in the UK worth a mention:

6lb 2oz British record Perch taken, new British record & hope to have pics soon, also a huge 45lb 14oz pike shakes the British record, only a few ounces short.

Lots of talk that this is due to climate change - warmer waters, any thoughts ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

One of the perks of climate change.:pac:
    A 6lb perch:eek: holy crap.
    A 50lb pike..... Is it possible??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Andip wrote: »

There is an increasing voice of opposition to the climate change debate. I studied it for years and always took it at face value. It's only when you start delving deeper into where the data which claims to illustrate global warming and resulting climate change do questions start cropping up as to how valid the argument is. Anyway, a topic for another forum. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Couple of big fish in the UK worth a mention:

6lb 2oz British record Perch taken, new British record & hope to have pics soon, also a huge 45lb 14oz pike shakes the British record, only a few ounces short.

i am no expert but i think it could probably more to do with artificial feeding rather than climate change........some of those places are heavily fished and a lot of ground bait goes in........just look a the size of carp now compared to 20 - 25 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

the question is, which is more dangerous, a 6lb perch or a 6lb pike???

Now theres one for the scyfy channel!:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

One of the perks of climate change.:pac:
    A 6lb perch:eek: holy crap.
    A 50lb pike..... Is it possible??

Yep a pike of that size or bigger is possible given enough time and the right conditions in terms of water quality and food supply.

I find huge pike more impressive than huge carp, trout etc., because the latter can benefit from ground feeding, feeding a stocked lakes etc., wheras the pike needs everything to be just right over a long period of time to reach that size.

I am convinced that the pike I am after in Lough Derg is a 40lbs plus girl.

She made bits of a smaller pike I had hooked when I had gotten it into the shallows, and she looked far far bigger than any 30lbs + pike that I have seen in the flesh.

That 6lbs 2 oz Perch sounds a beauty as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Strangely enough Angling Times has just withdrawn the article & photos of the Perch from its website ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Magazine probably bought the rights to it, or there is a dispute over the catch seen it where a person had caught a large perch a few yrs ago but didnt have the right permissions to be fishing there in the first place, i think it was private access or something like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Strangely enough Angling Times has just withdrawn the article & photos of the Perch from its website ?

maybe that 45lb pike ate the perch.....lol

Here you go...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Here you go...........

Thats that fella Bear Grylls holding the perch isn't it?

• Advertisement

She's full of spawn - I wonder what her pre or post spawn weight would be

Advertisement